PDA

View Full Version : Marti Gras - New Orleans

BENZEEN
12-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has gone. I am planning on going next year, and had a few questions.
- Is the French Quarter were the freak show is?
- If Marti Gras is the 8th of Feb., is the official rowdy night the 7th or the 8th.
- Any suggestions on hotels or even motels?
Thanks

BENZEEN
12-22-2004, 02:42 PM
anyone?

Debbolas
12-22-2004, 02:50 PM
My cousin Don in Wisconsin is a cop and he said I can't go because women flash their tits. :rolleyes: lol :wink:
That is all I know about New Orleans Marti Gras, but I have always wanted to go......... :cool:

SHOTKALLIN
12-22-2004, 03:13 PM
I would stay in the french quarters or on Canal st. Canal st is the furthest I would stay from the quarters. If you cant afford a balcony on Burbon st. there are nice big modern hotels on Canal St. There is a hotel in the quarters called the Monte Leon. It has a revolving bar :shift: in the lobby. The last time I was there I stayed at the Sheraton (I was very pleased) for $99 a night(not mardi gras). Its was only 3 short blocks to Bourbon st. During Mardi Gras every night is a raging party. I don't know which night is the bigest but honestly I don't think it matters. Every night the Bourbon Street is packed shoulder to shoulder. Call the local hotels and they can tell you. Even when its not Mardi Gras on the weekend its a guaranteed ragin party.
try this www.nola.com

Essex29
12-22-2004, 03:20 PM
I went a couple of years ago here are a couple of suggestions:
1...Stay the hell out of the French Quarter when looking for a hotel!!
2...Stay away from the Gay part of the quarter!!!
3...Bring an extra pair of shoes that you don't car about...The funk that gets on you rshoes is gross you'll want to leave them!
I'll try to think about anything else and re-post.
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has gone. I am planning on going next year, and had a few questions.
- Is the French Quarter were the freak show is?
- If Marti Gras is the 8th of Feb., is the official rowdy night the 7th or the 8th.
- Any suggestions on hotels or even motels?
Thanks

Jordy
12-22-2004, 03:35 PM
I thought Mardi Gras went on for a week.
I've been to Nahwlin's a couple times. Neither of them were on Mardi Gras and the place is absolutely out of control. Honestly, I don't know that I'd even want to go on Mardi Gras having seen the pictures. It kind of looks miserable with wall to wall people.
Both times I've stayed just across the trolley tracks from the French Quarter, within walking distance there and stagger/crawling distance back.
As far as the gay end, you know when you get there as all of the sudden both sides of the street are covered with rainbow flags and all the guys are wearing tank tops. Practically all the bars you go to south of the gay section have signs on the door that read "NO TANK TOPS" in an effort to keep the gay guys out.
All in all, it's a great time. There are lots of scams going on as well as a high crime rate (pick pockets and the like) on any busy night.
Have fun.

uvindex
12-22-2004, 04:15 PM
- Any suggestions on hotels or even motels?I've been many times, but always stayed at friends' houses, so I can't help with hotels.
In 2005, Fat Tuesday is February 8th, as you mention. The party is off the hook on Fat Tuesday, but it ENDS at midnight (that's because the day after Fat Tuesday is Ash Wednesday, which is the start of lent for Catholics, and the whole Mardi Gras thing has origins in that kind of stuff -- party your ass off before sacrificing for lent). However, the two weeks or so leading up to Fat Tuesday are also off the hook. Some events begin a month or so before Fat Tuesday, but those are mostly for locals who have balls and such for their "Krewes". Anyway, anytime you go beginning two weeks before Fat Tuesday you'll experience the real Mardi Gras. I recommend getting a schedule for parades, as those are a big part of the fun (and these aren't like "regular" parades -- well some are more family oriented, but most have a lot of adult fun. Parades begin several weeks before Fat Tuesday and there are lots of them.)
Have fun! :)

bigd1
12-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Was there for new years eve 2000 as well as several other times before but never during mardi gras. It's always crowded and wild in the quarter. At any given time there are probably 10 conventions going on in town. I wouldn't go during mardi gras - way too crowded and the weather sucks. Ditto on the shoes - get a pair of cheap tennis shoes before you go and then chunk 'em when you leave, there is no way you want to have 'em in your bag on the way home.

Essex29
12-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Don't get arrested because the courts close up for some crazy amount of time due to the festivities.
Try a lot of food oysters, po' boys, red beans & rice and don't forget to drive into Biloxi.
Look up Mandina's it's a house turned restaurant..awesome food!

BENZEEN
12-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info. Without your help I would have ended up in the gay part of town. It sounds as though I don't necessarily need to catch Fat Tuesday. So, if I find better hotel rates and air fare the week before, I should book it.
I am planning my buddy's bachelor party, so I want to make sure it is memorable. So, if you guys have any suggestions on where to go when we get there, let me know.
Thanks

Floored
12-22-2004, 04:58 PM
never figured out the deal with Billy Bobs Chinese laundry on Bourbon st. Kinda odd name. Next trip I'll ask. :confused:

locogringo
12-22-2004, 05:00 PM
I've always wanted to go to Mardi Gras also.... sometime...
if you go, take lots of pics!

unleashed
12-22-2004, 06:00 PM
I went about 8 years ago and it was definitly the biggest party I've ever witnessed. Lotsa of topless chicks, lotsa booze, and lotsa freaks! It was kinda like I would picture hell without the heat.
It goes off for about 2 weeks so anytime during that week should be fine. You have to experience at least once in your life. Like someone said before be careful for the gay section lotsa transvestites.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Essex29
12-22-2004, 06:13 PM
I went when they had the Superbowl and attended a few parties Maxim Magazine, Athletes First, P Diddy's, and a few more private parties...we were there for 10 days...way too long! Do yourself a favor and go for 4-5 days max.
Bring jackets it gets cold!

vdrivenman
12-22-2004, 06:22 PM
PM Hoss he lives in NO.

sandblasted
12-22-2004, 06:47 PM
I went last year..Tried to get rooms for the big weekend before Fat Tuesday but most hotels make you pay for a 5 day minimum stay..Fri-tues night..and they charge big $$..
So we went opening weekend...Yes, Mardi Gras lasts for 2 weeks..
Here is what I found out...There are alot of hotels in the downtown section that are a quick walk from the French Quarter...
We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Carondelet street...Carondelet turns into Bourbon street and it was only about a 100 yard walk across Canal to Bourbon street..
During the 1st weekend most of the bars in the French Quarter have great deals on drinks, like 3 for 1 beers etc..also the bars get crowded at night but you can still find a bathroom and most of them do not have a cover charge.
All that changes on the big weekend...Many bars will not let you use their bathroom unless you buy a drink in their bar..and believe me you need the bathrooms!
Also you can stake out a spot on some of the balconies at the bars if you get there early and drink their beer...during the big weekend they are all reserved..
Also we talked to alot of locals and they all said we made the right decision by attending opening weekend..you get all the bars, the boobs and the exitement of Mardi Gras, it can still get crowded but you get to enjoy it, and not get herded like cattle...
2 suggestions...You have to go to Pat O'briens and get a Hurricane and then you have to go to the bar that sells Hand Grenades!! Some kind of melon drink with everclear....very tasty and very strong!

TCHB
12-22-2004, 07:08 PM
1. It is like the 10 sandbars!!!
2. Alot of Fun
3. You can stay a couple miles away from Bourbon Street and taxi back and forth.

BENZEEN
12-23-2004, 10:38 AM
I went last year..Tried to get rooms for the big weekend before Fat Tuesday but most hotels make you pay for a 5 day minimum stay..Fri-tues night..and they charge big $$..
So we went opening weekend...Yes, Mardi Gras lasts for 2 weeks..
Here is what I found out...There are alot of hotels in the downtown section that are a quick walk from the French Quarter...
We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Carondelet street...Carondelet turns into Bourbon street and it was only about a 100 yard walk across Canal to Bourbon street..
During the 1st weekend most of the bars in the French Quarter have great deals on drinks, like 3 for 1 beers etc..also the bars get crowded at night but you can still find a bathroom and most of them do not have a cover charge.
All that changes on the big weekend...Many bars will not let you use their bathroom unless you buy a drink in their bar..and believe me you need the bathrooms!
Also you can stake out a spot on some of the balconies at the bars if you get there early and drink their beer...during the big weekend they are all reserved..
Also we talked to alot of locals and they all said we made the right decision by attending opening weekend..you get all the bars, the boobs and the exitement of Mardi Gras, it can still get crowded but you get to enjoy it, and not get herded like cattle...
2 suggestions...You have to go to Pat O'briens and get a Hurricane and then you have to go to the bar that sells Hand Grenades!! Some kind of melon drink with everclear....very tasty and very strong!
SB,
Thanks for the info. I think I will try first weekend.

dc96819
12-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Burbon street is where everythings at,The Marti Graw is very croweded like Newyears eve in Vages.Hotels on Burbon street was $700 and up per night and its resereved a year in advance.If you want something in walking distance you better book now.I found a motel 50 miles out of town when i went and paid $65 per night. Caught the hotel shuttle to burbon street.Going home late was with a taxi.East on Burbon street oppsite side of the parade has most gays they have the best costumes . :p

Jordy
12-23-2004, 11:40 AM
then you have to go to the bar that sells Hand Grenades!! Some kind of melon drink with everclear....very tasty and very strong!
The Hand Grenade bar is called Tropical Isle. Those will put you on your ass in short order.
They have a website that you can even order the mix as well as a live Bourbon Street cam.
http://www.tropicalisle.com/
http://www.tropicalisle.com/shop/images/suv_grenade_beads.jpg

godfather
01-03-2005, 12:30 PM
its a f ing blast i live here i love it burbon st kicks Ass women everywhere. :cool: