PDA

View Full Version : Weeds in the yard - Havasu pad

bohica
04-18-2006, 03:39 PM
After not going to my Havasu house ever since duning season started, I was pissed when I arrived last week and saw the condition of my yard. 2 foot tall weeds all over the yard. I use Havasu Pest & Weed control, they do a semi-annual weed spraying on the yard, and I swear they must of used fertilizer instead.
What's everyone else doing for weed control? I feel like I'm wasting my money paying for their service. Anyone have any other companies their using with good results. How about any kids looking to make some money and spend the day pulling weeds.

riverracerx
04-18-2006, 03:48 PM
goat...or a butane torch.

pm069
04-18-2006, 03:54 PM
I was at Cudmores place last season and I thought I'd lend a hand at pulling some weeds. I grabbed 1 glove (I said a hand) and a trash can, not knowing how hard it would be. In a period of about an hour I had pulled out most all of weeds in his front "yard", was quite easy to do, I guess with the sandy soil, they don't hook-up like in normal earth. But of course it NEEDS to be done again, and lets not talk about the back yard! I do have a homemade concoction but it's at home. I'll try to bring it in tomorrow and post it for you all.Supposed to work great and safe for kids and pets! :)

shadow
04-18-2006, 04:05 PM
We have a service that sprays and any sign of weeds they come back and hit it again at no charge.Most of the company's out here will do the same but you have to notify them.They spray and have no way of knowing if they need to hit it again unless you call them.Tough living in another state cause you have no way of knowing either.Maybe have a neighbor call you if they spot any weeds.Like i said most company's out here it's standard garauntee and they come back and hit it again at any signs of weeds.The past couple of months has been weed season all over out here.

uvindex
04-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Springtime=weedtime in the desert! :) i used to have the same problem at my Havasu house. Fortunately, it would only happen in the spring--once I pulled the weeds and the weather got hot I didn't have any problems through the summer, fall, and winter.
Once you get rid of the weeds, you might consider supplementing your rocks (assuming that's what you have), in case they're getting sparse or thin. The weeds won't be a problem next spring if your layer of rocks is thick enough.
Good luck!

Schiada76
04-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Rake all the rocks to one side, put down black plastic minimum 6 mil, put the rocks back.
Don't do this in August! :220v:

Ziggy
04-18-2006, 04:12 PM
They do pull out easy.......
I use a torch to burn them but that only works well if they've dried out...the plus with that is it toasts the seeds so new growth is less previlant next time.
Last few times I got lazy and had some neighbor kids do it for $20

TrojanDan
04-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Pulling weeds is part of the service charge for staying at the pad. Right Scubas. :D Just give your "guests" a trash bag, pair of gloves and 15 mins of their time and you should put a big dent in your weed problem. :cool:
p.s.- I should have posted this in that thread a week ago about how much you charge people to stay at your vacation house.

Phat Matt
04-18-2006, 04:14 PM
They do pull out easy.......
I use a torch to burn them but that only works well if they've dried out...the plus with that is it toasts the seeds so new growth is less previlant next time.
Last few times I got lazy and had some neighbor kids do it for $20
That sounds like more fun than pulling them. What do you use? I have to handle the weeds when I get back there. Maybe I'll torch some this weekend. :220v:

BOBALOO
04-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Pulling weeds is part of the service charge for staying at the pad. Right Scubas. :D Just give your "guests" a trash bag, pair of gloves and 15 mins of their time and you should put a big dent in your weed problem. :cool:
p.s.- I should have posted this in that thread a week ago about how much you charge people to stay at your vacation house.
I knew with a topic like this you would pop in here :rollside: Dan is correct, pulling weeds is a prerequisite for staying at his pad.
I think i will bring a garden sprayer full of gasoline next time.......and a long match.

Ziggy
04-18-2006, 04:25 PM
That sounds like more fun than pulling them. What do you use? I have to handle the weeds when I get back there. Maybe I'll torch some this weekend. :220v:
It is kinda fun. :) ..I bought the torch at Harbor Freight, it hooks to your BBQ tank. Pilot flame then pull the trigger........SHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH.....ge ts old quick unless you find a critter or two to stalk. :crossx:
You're supposed to get a permit from the Fire Dept...(no charge) and call when you start and finish your burn....thats so if neighbor call to report smoke or smell of smoke they won't send a truck....Fire station up the street from me so they stopped by and gave it to me :D

Sleek-Jet
04-18-2006, 04:27 PM
You need a Hula Hoe... fock that pulling weeds shit. :D :D

Phat Matt
04-18-2006, 04:27 PM
It is kinda fun. :) ..I bought the torch at Harbor Freight, it hooks to your BBQ tank. Pilot flame then pull the trigger........SHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH.....ge ts old quick unless you find a critter or two to stalk. :crossx:
You're supposed to get a permit from the Fire Dept...(no charge) and call when you start and finish your burn....thats so if neighbor call to report smoke or smell of smoke they won't send a truck....Fire station up the street from me so they stopped by and gave it to me :D
Cool. Thanks for the info. :D

TrojanDan
04-18-2006, 04:34 PM
I knew with a topic like this you would pop in here :rollside: Dan is correct, pulling weeds is a prerequisite for staying at his pad.
I think i will bring a garden sprayer full of gasoline next time.......and a long match.
I think I'll go to Home Depot to look for the Jumbo-sized yard bags just for Angie. :D

BOBALOO
04-18-2006, 04:35 PM
You need a Hula Hoe... fock that pulling weeds shit. :D :D
\
Damn, I have'nt heard the word Hula Hoe in almost 20 years. Had a garden growing up and consider myself a RETIRED professional HOE operator.:D Sorry Dan.

BOBALOO
04-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I think I'll go to Home Depot to look for the Jumbo-sized yard bags just for Angie. :D
I just had a 20x8 rolloff delivered for Angie, it is sitting in the driveway.:crossx:

TrojanDan
04-18-2006, 04:37 PM
\
Damn, I have'nt heard the word Hula Hoe in almost 20 years. Had a garden growing up and consider myself a RETIRED professional HOE operator.:D Sorry Dan.
No worries. After I saw the destruction you caused to your own house with that Bobcat, I wouldn't let you get near mine in anything motorized. :crossx:

TrojanDan
04-18-2006, 04:40 PM
I just had a 20x8 rolloff delivered for Angie, it is sitting in the driveway.:crossx:
Nice! :cool: My "friend" had the hookups for those too. ;)

Magic34
04-18-2006, 04:40 PM
If they are mixing their own weed killer and did not mix it storng enough, I would think it would do that (make them grow better).
Most weed/grass killers are heavy doses of fertilizers anyways. So, if it was not mixed correctly or not strong enough, it very well could be fertilizer.
At least, that what I learned in Plant Biology during college. For some reason, this was one of the few things I remember from any of my education.