PDA

View Full Version : Since the Joneses are Oh So Helpful!

Lake Ape
12-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Since the Joneses are such great lawyers and since Dewey, Cheatum and Howe are so busy I thought I would get me legal advice here from now on.
Here's the deal:
My construction company is an area where cox internet is not available and DSL is to slow or expensive so I signed up with this wireless internet provider. I singed a 12 month agreement with them which was never dated except by them with a stamp after I singed the contract, I didn't date it. They provided terrrible service for the $100 I was paying them, although the speed was blazing fast it was down at least once a day and once for a whole week, which greatly effected my business. Cox finally came to our building so the neighbor and I switched companies. I am currently paying Cox $147.27 a month and it is slower but is never down, which would should how unhappy I was with the wireless company. To make a long story short the wireless company has been harrassing me to pay the remaining three months on the contract.
This is question is for the Joneses, do I have to pay?
Thanks,
Lake Ape
Oh ya, just send me a bill!

Scream
12-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Unless you can prove a breach of contract on thier part you are, in my non legal opinion, liable for the remainder of the contract. However, you should have some sort of early termination clause in the contract spelling out what has to happen when one or the other wants to exit the contract. Maybe you could get out of it with a 30 day written notice...
Scream

Lake Ape
12-22-2004, 08:19 PM
My neighbor in the office next door has the same problem so he will testify on my behalf. I really don't give a hoot about the money but principal involved, he was very pushy when we signed up and he promised he wouldn't be down as much as the prior company and he was down more! There are no terms what so ever spelled out in the contract, not even what they were providing.

Scream
12-22-2004, 09:13 PM
The "promises" made by the salesman can be construed as a binding contract, but they need to be whitnessed or at least noted in some way at the time. The note can be made in a notebook, on the margin, just some way to show that an offer was made. If the same schpeel was made to your office neighbor, he/she can offer up the corroborating testiment to the "fact" that the salesman "guaranteed" service without outages. If this guy gave you and your neighbor the high pressure sales job, chances are he gave it to others around you as well and they can be asked about it, too, just for icing on the cake.
Good luck