PDA

View Full Version : Help Prop stuck

flattie
12-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Well I went to pull my prop off tonight and this bad boy is stuck on there! So tight I bent my I.M.C.O Prop puller which is pretty beefy, Anyone have any tricks to getting the tough ones off? I tried a little heat on the prop and still nothing

fastvdriver
12-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Try more heat with a little love tap from a metal 5 lb. hammer. It should come off unless you have spun the key way? if that is the case cut shaft and send to RB he can save the prop. Props are more than a shaft!
good luck :220v:

GofastRacer
12-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Yep had the same problem from a key half sheared off, had to make this bad boy!. I took a piece of steel round stock and bored it, took the shaft out and put it on a piece of wood, place a hard washer on the prop and used it as slide hammer, bingo one whack and it came off piece of cake!..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12Prop_Remover-med.jpg

Moneypitt
12-22-2004, 08:16 PM
If the key spun in the prop, how can it be saved??............MP

Rexone
12-22-2004, 08:35 PM
It likely just needs a little more heat. Don't try to muscle it off with the puller (not what the puller is designed to do). heat it, preload the puller then whack the end of the puller with a large hammer. Leave the nut threaded on loose so you don't have to head to the hospital later to get the prop removed from your forehead. Good luck.

GofastRacer
12-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Yep but sometimes that don't work either!.. :wink:

steelcomp
12-22-2004, 09:06 PM
If the key spun in the prop, how can it be saved??............MP
My guess is that the key would shear, leaving the halves in their respective grooves. Sheared surface of the key might score the shaft and prop a little, but I doubt it would be ruined. Now if the two spun fast enough to weld themselves together, thet would be a different story.
Slide hammer was a great idea. Hitting it on that end spreads the taper a little, and, POP! :D

scottys
12-23-2004, 02:21 AM
Yep had the same problem from a key half sheared off, had to make this bad boy!. I took a piece of steel round stock and bored it, took the shaft out and put it on a piece of wood, place a hard washer on the prop and used it as slide hammer, bingo one whack and it came off piece of cake!..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12Prop_Remover-med.jpg
I taperd one end of the round stock for clearance.Works every time.

Ex PSI Canyon
12-23-2004, 05:03 AM
Try Dirveenershlichten ,works for me everytime!

Schiada76
12-23-2004, 08:08 AM
When mine was stuck I left the puller on overnight, after heating and lots of penetrating oil. Came out the next morning and the first hammer whack popped it off. :hammerhea

VD CRUISER
12-23-2004, 08:19 PM
I use the slide hammer deal when its really tough. It's a pain to have remove the rudder and shaft though. :frown:

GofastRacer
12-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Unless you start to shear the key it will pop right off if you smear Anti-Seize on first!..

Moneypitt
12-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Art, does this problem have anything to do with how the prop fits the shaft with and without the key in place?? Seems like maybe the prop was riding too high on the key, and not all the way on the shaft...........MP

GofastRacer
12-23-2004, 08:58 PM
No,the taper is a standard and if machined right it will fit right. The problem is using junk key stock like the stuff you get from Home Dump!..

flattie
12-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Well I spent another hour on it tonight on it and still no dice. Im guessing that it has a shit key in it. Im about ready to cut the prop shaft off and order a new one and send the prop to Tom to see if he can get it off. Wouldnt you know but the algon prop release is stuck on the otherside of the prop shaft. looks like time to order a real whirl a way and a new prop shaft. This sounds expensive

DansBlown73Nordic
12-24-2004, 08:40 PM
If all else fails heat that puppy up good and hot. Then drop it in a cold bucket of water. It will come off. This trick always works no matter what. Im not sure what it does but I have shit that I broke pullers on trying to get it apart. This trick worked every time. I would just heat to a straw color.

P-Money
12-25-2004, 11:54 AM
If you took the f*cker off more than once every 3 years you wouldn't have that problem! ha ha :rollside:

flattie
12-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Hey P- money lay off me! That thing was off in the spring of this year. plus I think it spun the keyway.

VD CRUISER
12-26-2004, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't heat it too much, it may change the properties of the metal. Have you tried the slide hammer method ? :idea:

Bob Noxious
12-26-2004, 07:14 PM
I took a complete propshaft with a prop stuck on it to a prop guy and he laid his press on it's side and pressed it off. I'd be afraid of damaging a prop by heating it, but if I was to do it that way, I'd spray wd40 or penetrating oil around the perimeter of the hole after heating. I'm not sure why, but the chemicals are drawn into the frozen gap by the heat. After several cycles of this, let everything cool overnight and the puller should work.

GofastRacer
12-26-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm leary of all that heat things can warp and the heat treating can change, the slide hammer always work and it's simple!..

Fiat48
12-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Wisely leary.

GofastRacer
12-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Yep!.. ;)