PDA

View Full Version : JET CABLE

Brad71
08-06-2001, 08:04 PM
Alright,
Just broke my clam shell cable this past weekend (I don't know what all of you call it, but I thought that's what it was called, it gives me forward and reverse). I pulled the old one out (after me and the wife about sweat to death in Parker). So can you guys give me the scoop on the hard stuff about replacing it. Also, where is a good place (other than ADM Boatworks) to buy the cable in Orange county.
Sorry for all the parantheses.

jaqquuuz
08-06-2001, 08:14 PM
aCheck out Rexs Marines dont throw away your cable yet take it with you to match up with the new one. Or you can try Eddie Marine both should have what you need.
[This message has been edited by jaqquuuz (edited August 06, 2001).]

Old Charger
08-06-2001, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I just went through the same thing. Dont know what the actual technical term is either, I just called it a reverse gate.
Fairly easy to replace. Had to remove the port side interior to get to cable. Pulled it out. Replaced it with a Morse 33C Supreme cable. Reused the old hardware. Whole deal only took about an hour and a half.
I went to Rex Marine for my cable. They're up by the 10 and 57 at the Fairway exit. Kind of a drive, but they're guaranteed to have it in stock. Just make sure you measure your old cable before you go. You're probably lookin at about 50-60 bucks....

Brad71
08-06-2001, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys,
I knew Rex Marine was the place to go, after all they have that beautiful billboard right after Palm Springs on I-10.

Bubbledeck2
08-06-2001, 09:26 PM
I just finished installing like yours Brad.
However mine is a Morse 43BC.
I mail ordered mine from CP Performance, mainly because no one in town stocks them.
I don't know how good of a deal I got and price will vary with length, but I paid $90 for a 16' cable.

NordicSquirt
08-07-2001, 07:37 AM
I paid just $30 for my reverse cable, I ordered it from WestMarine.com. Not many places here in Oklahoma to buy that kind of stuff cheap.

Chestah Cheetah
08-07-2001, 10:20 AM
I have to tighten mine up before every outing. The end that connects to the lever always comes completely loose to the point that the lever just spins all the way around. I always tighten the s$%t out of it before I go to the lake, but by the end of the day it's done, and that's only using reverse maybe 5 times. I have already had one close call at the launch. I'll be honest, I haven't really studied the cable problem - I just tighten it. Any ideas?

Bubbledeck2
08-07-2001, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure what is happening with yours Chestah.
There is no way mine can loosen. I don't know the technical name for it, but I have a little thingy that threads on the end of the cable and then it has a little stud that goes through the shift linkage and attaches with a clip. (sorta like on a carburator) It also has a clamp that holds the cable tight to the hull .. there is no way mine can move.
I hope all this made sense to you .. I reread it and it made absolutely none to me :-P

77Spectra
08-07-2001, 05:57 PM
Chesta is the cable loose or is it the down arm that moves the cable? If it is the cable nuts, get more nuts and use them as lock nuts on either side of the original.

jaqquuuz
08-07-2001, 07:07 PM
Try using some locktight red and see if that helps any.

EDROE
08-07-2001, 09:22 PM
Chestah you wild man, was good to meet you on Saturday. If you use Loctite use the blue, cause red will make it very hard to take apart when you need to replace the cable.........Later....Edroe

Chestah Cheetah
08-07-2001, 10:37 PM
It's kind of hard to explain without seeing, but it is the cable nut that keeps coming loose. I would add another or just use loctite, but now when I tighten the nut, the whole damn lever gets pretty hard to move from forward to reverse - I would like to get it to move a little easier, there's way too much friction somewhere.

Chestah Cheetah
08-08-2001, 11:37 AM
Edroe, what happened to you at Op6C? You showed up late, and took off early. We didn't get to discuss and experiment the affects of multiple silvers enough.

EDROE
08-08-2001, 05:14 PM
Chestah, is it possible to drill a hole in the end of the shaft on the cable and put a washer and a pin to keep it together ? And I know it kinda sucks I had to leave but my ol lady was pretty tired and had to take her back to the pad. We got plenty of time to do the silver experiments and see how much bullshit can flow before the river turns brown..Later...Edroe

Nordic 18
08-08-2001, 05:30 PM
Chestah, Try removing the cable from the handle and open the reverse gate (@ the reverse gate)by hand to see how easy it opens. Sounds like the cable is worn internally, thus creating the extra friction, if so a new cable will solve your problem.
Good Luck,
Adam S.

Chestah Cheetah
08-08-2001, 08:02 PM
Thanks fellas, I'll take a look at it this weekend. The motor got pulled today too, so we're just waiting for diagnosis right now.

Hustler
08-08-2001, 09:03 PM
CC i just went through all that in the Hustler give me a call maybe i can swing by and take a look at it. Keep the Monkeys hand OFF OF IT!!!!!!!!!.

Chestah Cheetah
08-09-2001, 09:50 AM
Thanks Hustler! Hey, I've heard that you can use chain lube (for dirtbikes) to pur down the cable. True?

VanDeano
08-09-2001, 11:12 AM
Chestah Cheetah, I had same problem w/ mine being hard to shift. At one time it was so hard to shift that I ended up breaking the shift control arm. I tried everything to try to lube it up and nothing help. I just decided to buy a new cable and now it works great. I just wish I did it before I ruined my shift controler. Which cost $300 to replace. I would play it safe and just by a new cable. You will be glad you did.

Oldsquirt
08-09-2001, 12:26 PM
When the cable starts getting stiff it is usually because the inner piece is cutting through the liner. Don't bother with lube. Just replace cable. You will be glad you did.

Old Charger
08-09-2001, 07:39 PM
Hey Chestah,
Same story here. Cable was real sticky, then it broke the little pivot piece at the control arm. Just replace the cable and be done with it. Nothing will ruin your day more than having to go home early because you can only go forward. OR WORSE.