PDA

View Full Version : aquarium

cxr133
04-18-2006, 05:51 PM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cxr133/album?.dir=/2f94&.src=ph&.tok=ph3PUuEBHlTAk.GD
check out my new saltwater setup...
thanks

USCFAN
04-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Looks nice. I have a similar setup and tried to maintain it myself and lost a lot of fish. If you are going to maintain it yourself make sure you really get educated on the do's and dont's if you already haven't. :)

cxr133
04-18-2006, 06:11 PM
thanks ... i am learning as i go along

GRUNION
04-19-2006, 11:03 AM
If you have any qeustions let me know.

cxr133
04-19-2006, 11:49 AM
ill be sending you PM soon...
i have lots of dumb newbie questions that i dont want to post over a reefcentral forum :rolleyes:

C-2
04-19-2006, 11:54 AM
ill be sending you PM soon...
i have lots of dumb newbie questions that i dont want to post over a reefcentral forum :rolleyes:
Post them in the newbies section over there!
You found the right site, so you are on track. :) See how many members that joint has?

rsoscia
04-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Nice I have a set up like that but dont want it any more i'll let it all go cheap

YeLLowBoaT
04-19-2006, 05:06 PM
RC use to be great..... now they won't let you search unless you give them money.... Still there is a great wealth of ppl there that can help... I miss my reef... Damn power bills...was 300 a month for just the tank. :)

Buster
04-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Your tank looks great. Looks like you moved from some other tank based on all the rubermaid buckets in the garage. I just went to the LFS today and got 4 new tangs. They are soo cool. If you need any help, pm me..
BTW, RC is a pain. I use RAG (http://www.reefaquariumguide.com) .. Great bunch of peeps over there.
Here is my tank.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2110Whole_tank.jpg

cxr133
04-19-2006, 06:12 PM
ok cool thanks guys.....
i actually bought the whole setup from a pretty lady who had all setup for a few years.
first newbie question.
i have a local hole in the wall water store about two blocks away...
can i use the water they sell to mix saltwater or for evaporation?
the guy said RO/DI is triple filtered but his sytem has like 12 filters!!!!

YeLLowBoaT
04-19-2006, 06:54 PM
For the most part yes. ASk him what his TDS is. If its less then 5 go for it.

david_396
04-19-2006, 07:08 PM
The people on this site are a lot of help with Saltwater tanks.
Aquarium Advice View Forum - Saltwater & Reef - General Discussion
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=3
I have a 50 gal with a 20 gal sump underneath the main tank.

BadKachina
04-19-2006, 07:28 PM
It looks like you're starting a new tank with live corral? Can you do that?
I don't know if they use the same filters as they did ten years ago but I had a 200 gallon tank with basically another 50 gallon tank full of bio balls underneath it. I also had a uv sterilizer in line with a cartridge filter and tennic(spelling?) lightbulbs on the top. I think you needed all this stuff to grow live corral but I could be mistaken, I'm sure the technology has changed now too. You'll get a ton of enjoyment out of owning it, but it's kind of like a boat, you're happiest days are the day you set it up and the day you tear it down......

GETSOME
04-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Nice I have a set up like that but dont want it any more i'll let it all go cheap
How much and what are the specs?

YeLLowBoaT
04-19-2006, 07:50 PM
It looks like you're starting a new tank with live corral? Can you do that?
I don't know if they use the same filters as they did ten years ago but I had a 200 gallon tank with basically another 50 gallon tank full of bio balls underneath it. I also had a uv sterilizer in line with a cartridge filter and tennic(spelling?) lightbulbs on the top. I think you needed all this stuff to grow live corral but I could be mistaken, I'm sure the technology has changed now too. You'll get a ton of enjoyment out of owning it, but it's kind of like a boat, you're happiest days are the day you set it up and the day you tear it down......
No 1 really uses "wet drys" for Reefs anymore. Most ppl are just runing a skimmer and a fuge. I had a a 240 set up for 8 years I was runing a ATS ( algee truf scruber) Never had any probs. ~ 50 gal water change about once a year. The 4 400 watter and 1200 wats of VHO killed my power bill....
I miss my reef, if it was not for the fact that I will mostlikly be moving out of state this year I would set up anohter one. I have my eye on a 36x36 x24 for awhile now. Blinged all out with rotaing ball valve surges , high tech skimmers, 400 DE halids and a trick chiller.

C-2
04-19-2006, 09:05 PM
You'll get a ton of enjoyment out of owning it, but it's kind of like a boat, you're happiest days are the day you set it up and the day you tear it down......
Got that right.
The other night I was lurking over at RC, getting crazy thoughts in my head. Crap, just recently I repaired the holes in my ceiling from my MH pendant.
hehe, ya bunch of reef geeks!!!!

H20 Toie
04-20-2006, 08:30 AM
I've been debating on getting a tank, i have one in the office but i want one at home that will be built in, i just can't get past the cost, the quotes have been around 10k and even though i know i can get one cheaper i don't want to get a cheap one and then have to redo it. and then the fun part about getting fish for the tank. but the one i want is 67 x 24 x 30.

YeLLowBoaT
04-20-2006, 09:26 AM
lol 10k is CHEAP...I had almost 30k in mine...

H20 Toie
04-20-2006, 10:19 AM
lol 10k is CHEAP...I had almost 30k in mine...
wow. if it was 30k i would not even be having this conversation. but i guess it all has to do with priorities

YeLLowBoaT
04-20-2006, 10:29 AM
I use to work for a custom Aquarium shop. :)