PDA

View Full Version : You guys think this is a good deal? Sunesta 252

Playbuoy
04-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I know. You guys are past Chaparral's, but curious to get some opinions on whether this is a good deal:
2006 Sunesta 252- Fully Loaded
Out the door for $57k (includes trailer, tax, registration, freight, etc)
Thoughts?

USCFAN
04-18-2006, 06:01 PM
Sounds like a okay deal if a production boat is what you are looking for to satisfy your needs. I found that production buts just seem to loose their value pretty fast in comparison to custom boats. The bottom line should be is it within your budget in regards to what you wanted to spend, and will it meet your needs. My .02. Goodluck.

riverroyal
04-18-2006, 06:25 PM
where are you using it and whats the main usage?Family?skiing?etc

TCHB
04-18-2006, 06:28 PM
The price seems to be about boat show price.
Power 350 chevy
Volvo Outdrive????

ThongMagnet
04-18-2006, 06:33 PM
I bet you could find a 2003 in mint condition (less than 40 hour use) in the boat trader for around $35K. But if you want new..... That sounds like a good price

HocusPocus
04-18-2006, 06:36 PM
if it has the 5.7 you wont be happy with it very long. :crossx:

Midlife Advantage
04-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I know. You guys are past Chaparral's, but curious to get some opinions on whether this is a good deal:
Thoughts?
how dare this guy ask the opinion of the light and the way, with only 1 post?! and he's not even listening!! :argue:
just kiddin, welcome aboard. price sounds about right. that same boat 4 or 5 years ago was around 35k. Seems like a lot for a production boat, but they are usually higher than most of the others, they make a good boat. You should also consider Ebbtide, I used to have one and now days they are as good or better than Chapparel.

BajaMike
04-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Thoughts?
What engine/drive?
:confused:

hotsand65
04-18-2006, 06:53 PM
WE love our sunesta 210 deckboat - knock on wood have not had one problem with with it and it's an 02!

Playbuoy
04-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Yeah, it has the 5.7 Volvo.
Usage- River and glassy ocean days (catalina day trips)
You're right, it was boat show pricing...$51k plus tax and junk = $57k. Stoked on the boat, not ready for custom. Just wanted to see what the enthusiasts thought about the price.

Midlife Advantage
04-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah, it has the 5.7 Volvo.
Usage- River and glassy ocean days (catalina day trips)
You're right, it was boat show pricing...$51k plus tax and junk = $57k. Stoked on the boat, not ready for custom. Just wanted to see what the enthusiasts thought about the price.
the price is ok, they make a nice boat, but I still think you could get something a year or two old for close to or the same price that is not cookie-cutter, custom or a custom line and come away happier. There are a LOT of good deals out there, like DILLIGAF's, only 3 k more and you get a HOT boat that will handle your kids, and the ocean if you want. My quarter. :)

Playbuoy
04-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Damn, did u say kids? Sheeit, not so fast. Maybe in a couple years...
Guys, thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna pop the cherry with this 252 Sunesta...

MagicMtnDan
04-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Seems to me that DILLIGAF's 25' Shockwave Tremor is a much nicer boat but what do I know, I don't own one :D

RiverOtter
04-19-2006, 03:06 AM
There are lots of pre owned Sunesta's out there with hardley any hours on them. Might want to check out the used market. :cool:

cc322
04-19-2006, 04:28 AM
I second this statement, and I would have them build you one for the same price but get the Merc package, they can do this. They tend to make more money selling the Volvo.

TCHB
04-19-2006, 04:36 AM
I have a friend with the exact boat and uses on Havasu loves it. Lots of room, enough freeboard, and his been turn key for two summers. It runs a little under 50mph. They are nice boats with a lot of nice features. New sometimes is nice!

TCHB
04-19-2006, 04:38 AM
If you need to talk my buddy who has the boat let me know and I can put you in touch.

jbtrailerjim
04-19-2006, 08:33 AM
I second this statement, and I would have them build you one for the same price but get the Merc package, they can do this. They tend to make more money selling the Volvo.
Why do that? That Volvo package is every bit as bullet proof as the Merc set up. I'm friends the owner's of Sun Country Marine (Chaparral dealer in here in So Cal.) and he sells hundreds of boat's a year with this engine package. He swears by the Volvo engine packages and has told me they are a great motor and drive. People out here on the west coast just are not used to seeing a Volvo drive hanging off the back of a boat.
BTW Playbouy....If you are buying from Sun Country Marine, that is a good price and the folks at Sun Country are great people.

Partycattin
04-19-2006, 09:36 AM
I drove a friends 23 Chap Sunesta with the 5.7. Not much umph, especially if you want to ski.

syke-o
04-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Guys, thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna pop the cherry with this 252 Sunesta...
dude i would buy dilligaf boat in a heartbeat if i were you... spend the little bit extra and get a boat that will run circles around the chapparel...

RiverOtter
04-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Thoughts?
Here is a pic of mine. It's an 02 with the 350 MAG Merc, BIII and trailer. Less than 100 hrs last year when I bought it for less than $30,000
http://www.chattanoogaboats.com/sunesta.jpg

Playbuoy
04-19-2006, 01:54 PM
:)
Only if you want a custom, with a 496HO, 70MPH top end, custom grills with a stereo that is very clean and loud
Sounds like a kick ass boat...but not something I'm currently looking for.

dicudmore
04-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Sounds like a kick ass boat...but not something I'm currently looking for.
just a thought...let him take you out on the boat and see if maybe a custom is up your alley :idea:
I'd happily take you out on mine but that would not be an apples to apples comparison

Playbuoy
04-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Man, you guys work as a team! haha
Here's the thing...this will be the first boat I've owned. Looking for something more mellow now and then may go custom down the road. Just not yet...
Although, you're avatars were somewhat persuasive...

Playbuoy
04-19-2006, 02:14 PM
LOL....If you are going to spend that kind of money you might as well get the most bang for the buck. Actually, the 25 Tremor is a very nice family boat. I am sure it is bigger than the Sunseta also as the swim step is not part of the length. I may be wrong but I think the Sunseta counts the swim step in it's length.
The one thing I can tell you is that your Sunseta will cost less in gas and I assume you will have a complete warranty.
26.5' w/swim platform. Post a pic of the Tremor so I can take a look.

Jyruiz
04-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Here's the thing...this will be the first boat I've owned. Looking for something more mellow now and then may go custom down the road. Just not yet...
Check out Dilligaf's boat, it is really nice and has all the upgrades a boater wants. If you don't like it, no biggie, but I bet a year or two down the line, you will want to get in to a custom boat. The Sunseta will have lost a lot in depreciation and you will be lucky to get what you owe on it when you decide to go custom.

2Driver
04-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Get the dealer to install a keel guard for beaching. Chap's gelcoat are as thin as a pin.

dicudmore
04-19-2006, 02:46 PM
from my perspective...I'm just hoping to save you a lot of $$$ if you think boating is for you...
You're already in the price range of a custom, but not in the same class of boat. Trust me, DILLIGAF owned a LOT of boats before he had this one, and this Ultra is my 5th boat (4th new one) so we have been all up and down the ranks of boats...as somebody here used to say "buy your third boat first"

Jyruiz
04-19-2006, 02:53 PM
from my perspective...I'm just hoping to save you a lot of $$$ if you think boating is for you...
You're already in the price range of a custom, but not in the same class of boat. Trust me, DILLIGAF owned a LOT of boats before he had this one, and this Ultra is my 5th boat (4th new one) so we have been all up and down the ranks of boats...as somebody here used to say "buy your third boat first"
Yup, and Dilligafs boat is worth more than the 3k extra you are going to spend.

dicudmore
04-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Yup, and Dilligafs boat is worth more than the 3k extra you are going to spend.
this would be another member here at HB that recently stepped up from the production boat ranks :cool:
Its a whole different world isn't Juan??

Jyruiz
04-19-2006, 02:59 PM
this would be another member here at HB that recently stepped up from the production boat ranks :cool:
Its a whole different world isn't Juan??
Yup, it sure is, don't mess around and get it right the first time. :)

Jyruiz
04-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Wait....First I need to know if you are you a Clips or Lakers fan? lol
I have already told you, both, but the Lakers were here first so it is like 60 Lakers and 40 Clippers. :D

Garrddogg
04-19-2006, 03:13 PM
26.5' w/swim platform. Post a pic of the Tremor so I can take a look.
DUDE BEFORE YOU GO PRODUCTION LOOK AT DILLAGAF's BOAT!!

stoker_sst
04-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I was thinking of purchasing the same boat, but I may have to check out the Shockwave first.

Playbuoy
04-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Poor guy...doesn't have a chance with this group.....lol
Yeah, no joke.
I know what this is like though. I'm a huge car enthusiast so when someone asks me about whether to go aftermarket or factory, I have an opinion.
Still with this decision, not sold on going custom the first time out. I'll eat crow if I feel different a couple years down the road.

Playbuoy
04-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Does it have a head?

Playbuoy
04-19-2006, 05:22 PM
LOL! Haha...yeah, kind of a bitch question. But we'd like one. Again, kick ass boat. Hopefully I'm not hearing the "I told you so" stories in '07...

Jyruiz
04-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Does it have a head?
The head is more problem than it is worth, unless you have somebody else cleaning it.

Playbuoy
04-19-2006, 05:28 PM
The head is more problem than it is worth, unless you have somebody else cleaning it.
Isn't that what the wife is for?

Jyruiz
04-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Isn't that what the wife is for?
Lol, good luck with that.

dicudmore
04-19-2006, 05:30 PM
I would never say that myself. Again, good luck and safe boating to you. Regardless if you enjoy being on the water you are in for some good times.
I second what he said :cool:

Playbuoy
04-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Lol, good luck with that.
Yeah, no sheit.

riverliver
04-19-2006, 06:35 PM
1999 25.2 sunesta by Chaparral
310hp Volvo 7.4 lt
68 hours
dual battery w/switch
Halon system
ship/shore radio
filler cushions for beds
3 freshwater shower heads
sink
head
coast guard ready
Zeaman trailer w/chrome wheels / new tires
full bimimi cover
always garage kept
seats 14 persons legally
$33,000.00
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1745DSC00116.JPG

Midlife Advantage
04-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Yeah, no joke.
I know what this is like though. I'm a huge car enthusiast so when someone asks me about whether to go aftermarket or factory, I have an opinion.
Still with this decision, not sold on going custom the first time out. I'll eat crow if I feel different a couple years down the road.
you won't eat crow, not on here at least. My first two boats were production, bayliner then ebbtide deckboat, my third bein the advantage. I wish I could have bought the advantage first, but I was married! :cry: and the family boat applied. Its a good idea to go with production as a first boat, lotta learnin to do there, and you might as well do it with something a little less expensive. as for the head, you'll never use it unless you go in the ocean, and I only launched mine in the salt at Christmas time. then again, if you go custom, head comes standard too.... :cool:

whitefire
04-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Just picked up an '05 from the boat show for $48K and im happy with it so far. I brought it to havasu the day that all the boats sank and it did well in the chop. If ur into skiing, cruising, and packing lots of people on board (like all my freeloading friends), than the boat is great. Its obviously not as sporty as all of the other custom boats. Im actually selling my much faster Commander for the Chap. I think you'll be happy with it.

rrrr
04-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Quit badgering the guy. :D
I have an '04 Chapparal 256 with a 496 and BIII, it has been a great boat. Frankly, I don't see the value you supposedly get when buying a "custom" boat.
But that's just me.

Playbuoy
05-02-2006, 08:51 AM
OK, guys. So now I'm wavering a bit between Chaparral and a custom. Can I get your honest opinion on the boat below? Thanks,
http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/detail.php?siteid=1137

Jyruiz
05-02-2006, 08:56 AM
OK, guys. So now I'm wavering a bit between Chaparral and a custom. Can I get your honest opinion on the boat below? Thanks,
http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/detail.php?siteid=1137
Well, I have the same boat and I am loving mine. Wish I had the snap in carpet though. I really like the gel too.

RiverOtter
05-02-2006, 09:06 AM
I just sold my '02 243 for $34,000 :cool:

JB in so cal
05-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Whatcha gettin?

Jyruiz
05-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Was that a Commander? That is a really good price for a 24'r.

Dan Lorenze
05-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Since this is your first boat I would buy something barely used, there are so many nice used boats with low hours on them out there. Since you posted an ad for that Commander that tells me you're thinking you might just go custom. So, Dilligafs Shockwave. Since I own just about every issue of boattrader from this year I can tell you that Shockwaves really hold their values. That should be something you need to look at. But, if you decide to go with a Sunesta, you could probably save yourself 20k for something slightly used...
good luck which ever way you go....
Dan

Jyruiz
05-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Since this is your first boat I would buy something barely used, there are so many nice used boats with low hours on them out there. Since you posted an ad for that Commander that tells me you're thinking you might just go custom. So, Dilligafs Shockwave. Since I own just about every issue of boattrader from this year I can tell you that Shockwaves really hold their values. I don't see tons of used Shockwaves, they are great boats. That should be something you need to look at. But, if you decide to go with a Sunesta, you could probably save yourself 20k for something slightly used...
good luck which ever way you go....
Dan
Yup, very true. Dilligafs boat is nice, but that Commander is barely broken in too. Tough choice considering the Commander is OBO, could be had for less than that asking price.

Jyruiz
05-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Just to let you know....Mine may be sold later today or next week at the latest. If you were having any interest in mine you need to move on it. I knew it was just a matter of the weather warming up.
Good luck on whatever choice you make.
Dude, that would be great, here is hoping.

Partycattin
05-02-2006, 10:45 AM
I have an '04 Chapparal 256 with a 496 and BIII, it has been a great boat.
I didn't realize they were putting 496s in the Sunestas. How fast does it take you?
When I was looking at the Chappys a few years ago, it was a struggle to find one with a 7.4.
I would think with the 496, get some graphics put on. Good setup.

Playbuoy
05-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I had the opportunity to visit the Commander "showroom."
From a strictly buyers perspective, I was disappointed. The showroom was in an old warehouse, was fairly dirty, and the boats weren't in the best layout for presentation. The gentleman at the showroom was great, but I was dissatatisfied with the showroom experience. It detoured me from considering Commander any further, thinking that if they cannot maintain a clean and presentable showroom for prospective buyers, what does that say about the quality of their product.
Of course, the presentation of the showroom and the quality of the boat CAN be completely unrelated, but it still doesn't leave the prospective buyer with a positive brand impression.
They should really invest in a quality showroom. Might help them move more product.

boxscore
05-07-2006, 07:14 PM
From a strictly buyers perspective, I was disappointed. The showroom was in an old warehouse, was fairly dirty, and the boats weren't in the best layout for presentation. The gentleman at the showroom was great, but I was dissatatisfied with the showroom experience. It detoured me from considering Commander any further, thinking that if they cannot maintain a clean and presentable showroom for prospective buyers, what does that say about the quality of their product.
Of course, the presentation of the showroom and the quality of the boat CAN be completely unrelated, but it still doesn't leave the prospective buyer with a positive brand impression.
They should really invest in a quality showroom. Might help them move more product.
wow... you're pretty smart, eh? :rollside:

AirtimeLavey
05-07-2006, 07:22 PM
If the Chap. has twin screws, that should get you up fine when skiing. I bought a used custom (Lavey 24 NuEra) last year, and I use it more as a family boat, watersports, etc., and am very happy with it. I also saved a bunch of $ by going used. I can't think of one thing that you'd be disappointed in by going w/the Shockwave (DILLIGAF's), and I know you would be happier you went that way. As for it being your first boat, you could handle it fine, as long as you take your time and learn it. D's boat is a great looking boat, and it's done nicely in Laker colors... :wink: :D
Good luck.

Jyruiz
05-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Yup, the one in Corona is pretty crappy, I have never been to the other one. I have never been the one in Perris.