PDA

View Full Version : 100 Octane in Yuma??

WetWillie
12-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Is 100 Octane avalible to buy in the Yuma area? Or how about 110??
If so where??
:skull:

Kwicherbichen
12-27-2004, 04:12 AM
If so where??
Not 100% sure if it's 100 Octane (or more) but Fishers pumps high octane.

BarryMac
12-27-2004, 07:05 AM
I believe that you can get the High Octane stuff at Hidden Shores as well...

TOBTEK
12-27-2004, 08:58 AM
I believe that you can get the High Octane stuff at Hidden Shores as well...
I maybe wrong...but I've never seen 100 or AVgas at hiddenShores. BUT there is a gas station in Alpine WW right on the way out of town that sells race gas. you may have to buy a real truck to get it out there though :p or I'll stop and get you a few drums each trip, since im BOATLESS :cry:

Lightning
12-27-2004, 11:42 AM
If so where??
They sell AV gas at Fishers, 110

voodoomedman
12-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Not to start a war about whether AVgas is good or not but heres a tip. Buy 110 octane and mix it half and half with 91 octane and you have 100 octane. 110 is very expensive to run if you don't need that high a number and 100 is expensive because it is street legal and therefore taxed. Doing the mix gets it to you at a cheaper cost. AVgas seems to be the cheapest but I don't know if it's safe for your motor. I just know on my race motor in my waveblaster they told me to use the mix and the AVgas was ok to get buy when I couldn't do the mix.

moneysucker
12-27-2004, 09:34 PM
They told you to mix the gas because the lubricating properties you find in normal gas for cars is non existant and will partially strip oil from the cylinder walls and dry out lines as well. I use 1 oz of marvel to 1 gal of fuel because I do not mix my fuel. Sellers fuels by the ADOT office off 16th sells race fuel. They sell Av gas at the pumps at Fishers, Not the dock so fuel before launching. When I had a place at Hidden shores they did not carry av gas, they do at fishers because of the airstrip.

Racer277
12-27-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm sure they were'nt worried about lubricating properties of the avgas.
He was likely running 4 ounces or more of two stroke oil with each gallon of that gas.
:cool:

voodoomedman
12-27-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm sure they were'nt worried about lubricating properties of the avgas.
He was likely running 4 ounces or more of two stroke oil with each gallon of that gas.
:cool:
40:1 on the ratio rite. That's plenty lube.

WetWillie
12-27-2004, 10:05 PM
I have been told diffrent things.. Is all 110 octane consided AV Gas??
I run 100 octane but if I want to go 1200hp I need 110. 1200hp might be a bit much out in the Yuma area!

WetWillie
12-27-2004, 10:07 PM
They sell Av gas at the pumps at Fishers, Not the dock so fuel before launching. When I had a place at Hidden shores they did not carry av gas, they do at fishers because of the airstrip.
Oh crap...Good to know. That may be a problem unless I launch there! :mad:

Racer277
12-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Just my .02:
I wouldn't trust avgas from anywhere but an airport.
They can put anything they want in another pump, remember, no one is checking.
There is no messing with airport gas.
Also, talk to your engine builder about avgas in your engine. It does have slower burn rates, and a bunch of other stuff to consider before putting in your megabuck motor.
I ran avgas for 4 years, was very happy. My last year of racing they made us use unleaded 'race fuel'. Three engines later my season was very expensive.
Do a search on Avgas.
One of the guys has an excellent synopsis, about the beginning of the year.

voodoomedman
12-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Well said. Talk to your engine builder. It's like buying a Paul Pfaff engine and then buying the oil and gas and parts and stuff that your neighbor that had a gayliner with a volvo in it in the 70's told you to go get because it was the best.
Just my .02:
I wouldn't trust avgas from anywhere but an airport.
They can put anything they want in another pump, remember, no one is checking.
There is no messing with airport gas.
Also, talk to your engine builder about avgas in your engine. It does have slower burn rates, and a bunch of other stuff to consider before putting in your megabuck motor.
I ran avgas for 4 years, was very happy. My last year of racing they made us use unleaded 'race fuel'. Three engines later my season was very expensive.
Do a search on Avgas.
One of the guys has an excellent synopsis, about the beginning of the year.

Racer277
12-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Try this link for Avgas Info (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53599&highlight=avgas)

Kwicherbichen
12-27-2004, 10:37 PM
They sell Av gas at the pumps at Fishers, Not the dock so fuel before launching. When I had a place at Hidden shores they did not carry av gas, they do at fishers because of the airstrip.
I have seen a few people drive their boats past the left side of the fuel dock and get the av gas while in the water.

TOBTEK
12-28-2004, 08:01 AM
ALSO in H/B magazine a while ago, I believe Bob teague (Mr personality :yuk: ) had written a colum about using AVGAS.....he stated that he would add a certain amount of oil to the gas for a I/O and 100% for a O/B with oil injection. he also said it was safer to run the AVGAS, for most gas from the pump have additives and are oxygenated. I would also add, get the avgas ONLY from an airport! When my 300x pop'ed last yr, the Merc tech said I had bad gas......which was AVGAS from the 76 station in Havasu..SCARY!

rude235
01-01-2005, 10:25 PM
wetwillie, have you already or are you going to run the boat in you signature in yuma out of fisher's landing? i used to live there and have been wanting to take the boat back down there to run with a few friends on the river. it's been a long time since i've been on the river down there and was curious about the water level/conditions.

WetWillie
01-03-2005, 01:02 AM
I have gotten alot of mixed opinions on weather or not it is deep enough out thier. Some people say No problem. Some people say dont do it. I was in Hidden shores and saw quite a few large boats 28ft range. I have also seen some large 26ft cabin crusers out there. I guess you just have to be willing to take the chance and pay attention were your going. Im going to head out there and look around. Maybe go up river in a buddys boat and check it out.
Truth is its alot closer to my house and I really like hidden Shores. But I also really like my boat.
Well see :eek:

GrapeApe
01-03-2005, 11:41 AM
WetWillie,
After Spending some time on the Lower River, you will learn where to avoid. The Sandbars are very easy to see as long as you pay attention. My buddy has a 28ft Advantage Party Cat, and has had no Problems. I have also seen an F26 an 25 Eliminator out there many times...
*** Grape Ape ***

moneysucker
01-03-2005, 03:50 PM
I have seen a few people drive their boats past the left side of the fuel dock and get the av gas while in the water.
Hiddenshores is one of the best family parks I can think of. I used to be down there but the rules didn't agree with me. It was nice though being able to pass out at 10 and not have to wory about stuff getting stolen or anyone doing hot laps around your trailer at 1 in the morning. One day when i have kids I will stay down there again. I am sure by then I will have a boat that gets a little better gas mileage.
I never thought about getting close enough to the pump to get fuel in the water. I am sure it can be done but I would check the depth there by the avgas pump. Everyone I know that uses avgas, myself included, pull our boats out every night so getting gas on the trailer is not a problem. Or you could do like me and take out a barell of fuel. 2-55 gal drums and a golf cart fit in a long bed with the tailgate down.

Lightning
01-03-2005, 04:40 PM
I have gotten alot of mixed opinions on weather or not it is deep enough out thier. Some people say No problem. Some people say dont do it. I was in Hidden shores and saw quite a few large boats 28ft range. I have also seen some large 26ft cabin crusers out there. I guess you just have to be willing to take the chance and pay attention were your going. Im going to head out there and look around. Maybe go up river in a buddys boat and check it out.
Truth is its alot closer to my house and I really like hidden Shores. But I also really like my boat.
Well see :eek:
If you ever need a ride up river, let me know - we stay over at Martinez. By the way, how do you like living in Scripps Ranch? My office is in Penasquitos.

WetWillie
01-03-2005, 11:07 PM
My office is 2 miles away off scripps poway parkway. I like the area and want to stay here for now. I am trying to work a deal with Tobtek and maybe KAB to go out there and run around. If it does not pan out I will let you know. After that were going to run to Havi to run my boat. You avalible
in the next couple of weeks?
Bill
If you ever need a ride up river, let me know - we stay over at Martinez. By the way, how do you like living in Scripps Ranch? My office is in Penasquitos.

rude235
01-06-2005, 09:58 PM
WW, if you happen to get down to yuma and hit the water i'd love to see some pics of the area. i don't know that i'll make it down there this summer but it's on the list of places to take the boat.

mexrunner
01-08-2005, 09:29 PM
any one from the yuma san diego area ever run in baja ca. i run my boats down on the rio hardy but wouldnt suggest running anything bigger than a 24 ft. Not to far below the border and always glass.