PDA

View Full Version : Need to vent

diggler
12-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Today, they sent out a company guideline on expenses.
Keep in mind this company I work for serves 1 out of every 20 Americans power for their homes, and had gross revenue of $10.4 BILLION in 2003, and $10.5 BILLION in 2002.
So with that said, the guideline specifically discourages taking other employees to lunch. I manage a budget of $16.8M in 2004, and $25.5M planned for 2005. Although I manage to get most of my commitments in formal meetings, some of these are done over lunch to buy-in to my project scopes and deadlines. This year I am on track to spend the entire capital budget. For 2004, I incurred LESS than $350 in business lunches.
The guideline also states that formal recognition, and any cost associated is also discouraged. This means I cannot thank these folks for busting their asses to meet my agenda. I tried to do it earlier this month, and had a projected cost of under $10K. I was not allowed to do it, let alone even a "thank-you" letter to be signed by the company's top brass.
This just sickens me, and has ensured I will not stay with this company. I've been waiting for a couple hours for clarification on this, and I still haven't heard anything. It is also pretty sneaky to send out this bulletin when a majority of the folks are off on vacation. I am 34 years old, single, and no kids. I can go anywhere I want, and this is definitely not the type of company I wish to devote my life to.
Sorry about the letter, but I just had to let some steam off! :mad:

Debbolas
12-27-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm not a business person, but that just doesn't make sense.
Unless they were sued and are trying to prevent something from happening.
Is their anyone you can talk to for clarification?

diggler
12-27-2004, 10:49 AM
I'm not a business person, but that just doesn't make sense.
Unless they were sued and are trying to prevent something from happening.
Is their anyone you can talk to for clarification?
Nope, no major lawsuits outstanding (though it has happened in the past e.g. Erin Brokovich). My boss has so far refused to answer my question, and I can't go over his head to ask the VP because... well because that would be employment suicide!

MsDrmr
12-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Can't blame you on that one, my mr works for a company that requires some of that also, either a "kiss ass invest in my product", or a thank you for your business lunch, golf game and so on. Sounds like your in a field where this is almost mandatory, I encourage you to do what you feel is right for you. I believe in "instincts" follow yours and I wish you the best of success.

hoolign
12-27-2004, 10:52 AM
That sucks..my company encourages lunches, suppers, and taking people out for drinks, I purchased christmas bottles for about 12 people and even bought my Christmas booze on the company! handed in my recepts and the boss told me I forgot a few people..

Havasu_Dreamin
12-27-2004, 10:58 AM
I know they had revenue over $10 billion but what was the profit? Also, does this have anything to do with them filing for bankruptcy a few years ago? Your company, and yes I know which one it is, is not exaclty back on the solid ground they used to be on if my memory is correct. Also, why would a company want to pay for two of it's own employees to go to lunch? That seems odd to me??? It's not like it's a supplier taking out a potential customer, or is it?

diggler
12-27-2004, 11:12 AM
I know they had revenue over $10 billion but what was the profit? Also, does this have anything to do with them filing for bankruptcy a few years ago? Your company, and yes I know which one it is, is not exaclty back on the solid ground they used to be on if my memory is correct. Also, why would a company want to pay for two of it's own employees to go to lunch? That seems odd to me??? It's not like it's a supplier taking out a potential customer, or is it?
Net income after operating expenses are taken is $1.5 Billion. The company shares are today $33.46 per share, up from a low (during bankruptcy) of $12.48 over the past two years when the company was in bankruptcy. The company is definitely back on solid ground, and always has been due to the fact that it provides a product that must be used no matter what.
Why would a company want to pay for two of it's employees to go to lunch? Well, there are about 22,000 employees. These are divided up over multiple business units and 18 geographic divisions. Each business unit/division has their own business agenda that they want to pursue (at the detriment or enrichment of other capital programs). To secure a commitment for your capital budget that focuses on a specific type of asset requires just as much business saavy and negotiations as if you were working with an outside vendor. Nothing is sacred, and these alliances and agreements are essential based upon how the company has set the business units in direct competition with each other. Hell, I grew our capital budget and productivity over 400% in two years based on these agreements.

LilHarley
12-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Which business unit are you in. Just wondering, I'm with SCE. :eat:

diggler
12-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Utility Operations - Electric T&D

Unforgiven
12-28-2004, 07:48 AM
Utility Operations - Electric T&D
I too work for the same company Diggler works for...except I'm on the POWER GENERATION SIDE (NUCLEAR) I was one of the people to lose my job back in 2001 due to BANKRUPTCY, just to watch the top management receive their...MILLION DOLLAR BONAS's for putting this company in bankruptcy (I came back to work for the company after a "short" vacation).it still amazes me on how head management can see getting their new bonas for this year when we are stuck cutting cost elsewhere.. yes my stock is back up, yes my 401 is looking better, but it took the 22,000 employees...from clerks to lineman and everyone in between to get it together
I'm not knocking management...just the so called "leaders" of this company...Diggler, stick it out man...Come down here to "the Canyon" we'll go out and get sh*t faced...hey, their always looking for "new" mangement in this place...Cal Poly is next door, and you can always find a "friend" there....by the way.....happy new year!! :220v:

JetBoatRich
12-28-2004, 08:14 AM
I take employees to lunch as needed. I took the whole staff last week, morale booster. I try to do a lunch and/or breakfast each quarter.
Recently I took over a new project, with all new staff. I used the lunch to open communications. Some employees need the comfort level of a relaxed enviroment before they will talk.

Racer277
12-28-2004, 08:26 AM
I find that taking our crews out to lunch occasionally, really increases productivity out of them. It's not the money spent, but showing that they are appreciated that makes a big difference. The company more than sees the ROI from a $100 lunch (6 man crew).
Whenever I've been to lunches with my bosses, they always pay. I've offered and been told I never will pay. When I am with my bosses, it's a working lunch, whether we like it or not. When a crew is with me, it's a working lunch to them, as they are in front of their boss.
If I'm with a peer, the company doesn't pay.
Whassup Eddie!

Unforgiven
12-28-2004, 08:42 AM
I find that taking our crews out to lunch occasionally, really increases productivity out of them. It's not the money spent, but showing that they are appreciated that makes a big difference. The company more than sees the ROI from a $100 lunch (6 man crew).
Whenever I've been to lunches with my bosses, they always pay. I've offered and been told I never will pay. When I am with my bosses, it's a working lunch, whether we like it or not. When a crew is with me, it's a working lunch to them, as they are in front of their boss.
If I'm with a peer, the company doesn't pay.
Whassup Eddie!
Merry xmas bro...hey we are headed to las vegas 21 22 23 of jan for testing,,,///I'll be headed to Prime marine to pick up the boat here in a few days...got a few more issues to work out here in the canyon!!...was your wife good to you for xmas??? if not you can always trade her in for another,,,(she's gonna kick my ass) call me at home tonight...later

Craig
12-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Hey Unforgiven, do you work at SONGS? If so, what department? I'm at Palo Verde.
Craig

diggler
12-28-2004, 11:41 AM
I too work for the same company Diggler works for...except I'm on the POWER GENERATION SIDE (NUCLEAR) I was one of the people to lose my job back in 2001 due to BANKRUPTCY, just to watch the top management receive their...MILLION DOLLAR BONAS's for putting this company in bankruptcy (I came back to work for the company after a "short" vacation).it still amazes me on how head management can see getting their new bonas for this year when we are stuck cutting cost elsewhere.. yes my stock is back up, yes my 401 is looking better, but it took the 22,000 employees...from clerks to lineman and everyone in between to get it together
I'm not knocking management...just the so called "leaders" of this company...Diggler, stick it out man...Come down here to "the Canyon" we'll go out and get sh*t faced...hey, their always looking for "new" mangement in this place...Cal Poly is next door, and you can always find a "friend" there....by the way.....happy new year!! :220v:
Thanks Eddie, I was just really pissed that I couldn't do anything for the people that really make a difference here. They take good care of me, but crap on the little guy. This is what pissed me off so much. I'll just have to find a way to sneak in a "safety lunch" here and there. :smile:

Unforgiven
12-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Hey Unforgiven, do you work at SONGS? If so, what department? I'm at Palo Verde.
Craig
DCPP for PG&E......

OutCole'd
12-28-2004, 12:21 PM
You have kept yours to a minimum, but maybe this is because of other people in the company abusing the privlage.
Unfortunately, one bad apple can spoil it for everyone. Not sure, just guessing.