PDA

View Full Version : Deck Recommendations

rsr
12-27-2004, 12:47 PM
Need new cd deck for the boat - looking for something nice, high quality, decent built in power, ability to add amps or subs later. Will be running 4-6.5's for now, possibly upgrade later. Any recommendations appreciated. Also any leads to good shops in orange county or riverside areas. Thanks in advance.

ROZ
12-27-2004, 01:08 PM
I believe that one of the best decks for the money (retail or not) is Alpine's CDA9827.... No Marine remote though...
It you want a good deck with all the bells and wistles, look at almost anything Pioneer Premier with the steeringwheel remote option. Pioneer makes a marine remote that plugs into it...
just my .02

rsr
12-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Thanks Roz - is that alpine a marine deck? One shop guy tried to lead me away from the marine decks (probably because he didn't have any in stock) - while I tend to think the marine is the way to go? What's the popular opinion?

ROZ
12-27-2004, 02:16 PM
No marine decks by alpine.... If you want a Marine deck, look no further than a Clarion XMD3....
Popular opinion use to be Sony car deck with a changer(12 sec memory for antiskip memory) and a marine LCD remote, but there are a lot of peeps who use std decks from other mfg's...

rsr
12-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Roz - thanks for the info - how much does the alpine go for? What do you think about sony's? Some have said they have gone down hill lately - any thoughts yourself?

riverbound
12-29-2004, 08:54 PM
We started using the MQ Quart marine deck and have been very happy with it so far. It is one of the better sounding radios out there. It also is capable of adding wired remotes and a changer plus it has an aux. input to add Ipod or other audio sources.

ROZ
12-29-2004, 11:10 PM
We started using the MQ Quart marine deck and have been very happy with it so far. It is one of the better sounding radios out there. It also is capable of adding wired remotes and a changer plus it has an aux. input to add Ipod or other audio sources.
I kept an eye out for that deck for 2 years after speaking to someone over there who forarded me the specs. It looked quite impressive, but have always wondered if it would have the same problems as the fosgate decks... Of the couple people I know who have them, they are less than satisfied: However, It is that way with all electronics... Glad to hear the deck works out for you...
It would be nice if Alpine made a wired marine remote. That way a person could use the KCA420I with any CDA model to control his IPOD from the headunit while underway...
I finally got an IPOD for xmas (thanks honey) and plan to make h/u changes in all my vehcles :D

riverbound
12-30-2004, 04:54 AM
I kept an eye out for that deck for 2 years after speaking to someone over there who forarded me the specs. It looked quite impressive, but have always wondered if it would have the same problems as the fosgate decks... Of the couple people I know who have them, they are less than satisfied: However, It is that way with all electronics... Glad to hear the deck works out for you...
It would be nice if Alpine made a wired marine remote. That way a person could use the KCA420I with any CDA model to control his IPOD from the headunit while underway...
I finally got an IPOD for xmas (thanks honey) and plan to make h/u changes in all my vehcles :D
You will love the ipod, I just finished downloading all my cds to mine and already have my river mix ready for the summer. since I have gotten my ipod I dont even use anything else including XM.

phebus
12-30-2004, 06:49 AM
How do you hard wire an IPOD into an Alpine head unit. I have a disc hanger and xm coming off of it already. Is there a way to splt off the cd changer, or what?

ROZ
12-30-2004, 10:34 AM
You will love the ipod, I just finished downloading all my cds to mine and already have my river mix ready for the summer. since I have gotten my ipod I dont even use anything else including XM.
Funny, I was up until 2am last night loading cd's to itunes on my computer..... Still have a looong way to go :frown: :D
Do you use the 420i?

ROZ
12-30-2004, 11:06 AM
How do you hard wire an IPOD into an Alpine head unit. I have a disc hanger and xm coming off of it already. Is there a way to splt off the cd changer, or what?
If you have a CDA98?? model, all you need is the KCA420i...
I got this of their website... Your changer will give you the best playback, but with the convenience of having your whole collection on your IPOD
The Best In-Vehicle Solution for Your iPod® .
Alpine iPod Interface, KCA-420i
Now you wonder how you could ever live without an iPod after owning one. What if there was an even better way of cruising to your tunes? Introducing the KCA-420i, the best in-vehicle interface adapter which allows you to cruise to your iTunes™! Simply use the KCA-420i to plug in your *iPod, iPod Photo or iPod mini into a compatible 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head unit, and voilĂ*! Get ready to groove to your iPod in your car.
KCA-420i, Target Retail Price $100.00
Availability: Now Available, at All Authorized Alpine Retailers
*The KCA-420i is compatible with any iPod , iPod Photo and iPod mini with dock conector and iPod Update 2004-04-28. Go to the iTunes site to download the latest iPod software.
Control Within Reach.
Plugging in keeps you in control. You can quickly search and listen to your iPod tracks directly from your head unit, and even use a remote control. The power to control key playback functions is at your fingertips.
Find Your Favorites Quickly.
With any 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head unit, QuickSearch™ keys, and the ergonomic rotary knob make it easy and extremely convenient to search songs stored in the iPod. You can quickly search through your collection by playlist, artist, or album and find what you're in the mood for. The best part is, it allows you to search for music while enjoying your current selection. When you're ready for your next hit, it's as easy as pushing in the knob.
Song Title, Artist, and Album at a Glance
With every great navigable interface like QuickSearch comes great display information. The Alpine solution displays vital information on the head unit. Identifying your next song selection is simple when you can view artist, album, and song names during playback. All Alpine displays are specifically engineered for the vehicle, and designed to be clearly visible even in direct sunlight. The high resolution, high contrast displays make the information easily viewable from any angle. One glance is all it takes to see what song is playing while you keep your focus on the road.
Get Plugged In and Charged Up.
The KCA-420i connection is designed to be a simple connection, just one plug from the interface to the head unit and iPod. No power wire connections are needed to power the KCA-420i. Better than that, it charges your iPod on your way to the slopes, beach, and any destination.
Keep It Clean, Install the KCA-420i Anywhere.
Not only is it easy to connect, you can also fit the KCA-420i under the dash, in the trunk or under the seat for mounting applications. There's no need to worry about the iPod , you can stash it in your glove compartment out of sight and out of mind. Less wires and simple storage keeps your interior clutter-free.
Turn It Up!
As with any digital music and plugged-in portable device, there's always the fear of the loss of sound quality; but not this time. Since the iPod and KCA-420i are connected directly to the head unit via our patented Ai-NET BUS, it will playback all of the music information encoded on your iPod. The great news is that 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head units are equipped with a proprietary technology which enhances sound quality and restores lost detail to compressed digital media. Alpine is always focused on improving sound performance so you can hear the difference.
Make Your Digital Music Sound Like CDs.
MediaXpander™ is an exlcusive Alpine technology that gives a significant boost to sound quality. It provides three selectable harmonic restoration modes for five sources: MP3/WMA, CD, DVD, FM and Satellite Radio (Sirius or XM). MediaXpander uses a 500Mhz processor to recreate the subtleties and nuances that make the music sound real. In essence, only Alpine allows you to make your digital media sound great.
Personalized Sound Control.
Sound customization is taken to the next level with Bass Engine™. We know that every vehicle and music taste is different, that's why Alpine gives you the ability to personalize your sound and your system. With Alpine's exclusive Bass Engine technology, you can customize the sound with EQs, crossovers, and more. The sound can be customized with special time correction technology, which ensures your seat is placed directly in the middle of the music to really bring life to your experience.
Expand Your System.
The KCA-420i can be added to any 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head unit. Now you have the option of enjoying your iPod in your car, and still use your other in-vehicle electronics applications such as a Multi-Channel 5.1 Dolby Digital® system, Satellite Radio (Sirius or XM), a CD Changer, or Navigation.
Change your iPod's music library to your Alpine Head Unit.
Most Alpine head units are designed to optimize the available internal memory for use with CD-R specifications (700MB) that leads to search limitations as documented in the Owner's Manual. Due to the memory capacity in the head units, there is a limit to the quantity of playlist, artists, albums and songs that can be displayed.
For Suggestions to optimize your iPod for in-vehicle use click here.

phebus
12-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Roz, I have a Alpine CDA-7893 head unit, but I also have the Alpine 12 disc CD changer coming off of it, and also an Alpine XM unit. How do I wire it in, or does it split off my CD changer cable? I'm hoping it isn't an either or dealio, I still would like to keep the CD changer and be able to use both.

phebus
12-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Roz, I searched the net, and found a place selling the adapter, but it stated it would work with any 2004 CDA head unit, and may be compatible with earlier CDA models, but it came with no guarntee that it would. How can I make sure it will work with my unit, and do you sell them?
Thanks,
Rick

ROZ
12-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Roz, I searched the net, and found a place selling the adapter, but it stated it would work with any 2004 CDA head unit, and may be compatible with earlier CDA models, but it came with no guarntee that it would. How can I make sure it will work with my unit, and do you sell them?
Thanks,
Rick
I don't think it will work using this adaptor, but I have them here if you want to give it a try.... If it doesn't work with your deck, you can send it back. No problem...
Another way is to get a KCA410C... This will allow you to hook up 2 ai-net sources(changer and xm receiver) plus have the ability to connect 2 of any RCA input sources...

riverbound
12-31-2004, 02:07 PM
Funny, I was up until 2am last night loading cd's to itunes on my computer..... Still have a looong way to go :frown: :D
Do you use the 420i?
I have a Pioneer radio in my boat so I use the pioneer adapter. If it is an Alpine then the 420i works good. Im actuall in the process of putting a pioneer 7300 dvd in the boat (had one laying around in the garage) so then I will just use one of the video inputs.

riverbound
12-31-2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks,
Rick
It will only work on the alpine radios that have an aux source. option

phebus
01-01-2005, 12:51 PM
It will only work on the alpine radios that have an aux source. option
The Alpine CDA-7893 has the ability to set an AUX Mode (V-Link). Here is what the manual says:
You can input TV/video sound by connecting an optional Ai-NET/RCA Interface cable (KCA-121B) or Versatile Link Terminal (KCA-410C) to this component.
Now that they make the KCA420i interface, Would that mean it would also be compatible? From what I'm reading into this, the new 420 interface would give me the ability to see the ipod's display on my head unit, where the 410 wouldn't, right?

ROZ
01-01-2005, 01:09 PM
The Alpine CDA-7893 has the ability to set an AUX Mode (V-Link). Here is what the manual says:
You can input TV/video sound by connecting an optional Ai-NET/RCA Interface cable (KCA-121B) or Versatile Link Terminal (KCA-410C) to this component.
Now that they make the KCA420i interface, Would that mean it would also be compatible? From what I'm reading into this, the new 420 interface would give me the ability to see the ipod's display on my head unit, where the 410 wouldn't, right?
You are correct... 420 uses the headunit to display and control your IPOD. THe 410c will only allow you to import the sound from your IPOD or any other source... The downfall is that you still have to control the 2nd source(IPOD in this case) seperately..If the 420i will work with the older headunit, it's the way to go...
The 121 and the 410c both let you adapt an aux by converting an rca type input into an Ai-net input, but the 121b is only 1 conversion. The 410c has 4 inputs on it. 2 for aux rca and 2 ai-net....
What I don't know is if the 420i assigns all the menu funtions onto the headunit allowing you control your IPOD from the headunit, or if the new CDA models have the programming assigned button functions installed from the factory making the 420i just a conversion box.... I guess I can make this easy and just give them a call to see if it works or not :D...I'll likely be trying this with a CDA9807 here in the next couple weeks....

phebus
01-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Roz (or Riverbound if you know), if you find out, please let me know. It would be awesome to control the Ipod at the head unit rather than at the Ipod itself. That way, the Ipod could be mounted in the amp rack area out of sight, out of mind, and safe from the elements (and drunks).

phebus
01-02-2005, 02:06 PM
After looking at the 420 on the Alpine site, if I use it to be able to integrate an IPOD, I also would still need the 410 to be able to hook up the XM and CD changer. So, if the 420 works with the Alpine 7893, I will need to buy the 420, the 410, and an IPOD to put this whole system together. This is getting expensive......if it will even work.

ROZ
01-02-2005, 10:29 PM
After looking at the 420 on the Alpine site, if I use it to be able to integrate an IPOD, I also would still need the 410 to be able to hook up the XM and CD changer. So, if the 420 works with the Alpine 7893, I will need to buy the 420, the 410, and an IPOD to put this whole system together. This is getting expensive......if it will even work.
The 410 will adapt all you have, including the ipod. Let me find out if the 420 will benefit you at all... The interface cost is relative to what they can do to expand your system... I'll pm you tomorrow..

stouell
01-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Hi everybody,
Could you pleas come back to me because I want connect my cda-7893 with a Ipod, could you please give me the best solution after your tests.
Thank's
Stephane

ROZ
01-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Your easiest solution is to run the optional Ai-NET/RCA Interface cable (KCA-121B) if you don't have a cd changer.... You'd need something to charge it and connect the 121b to the headphone jack on the IPOD with an RCA to mini jack splitter...

stouell
01-06-2006, 04:54 AM
Thank's