PDA

View Full Version : Stock XR vs. Imco SC

hulshot
05-21-2002, 08:13 PM
What major differences are there in the Bravo XR upper and the Imco SC upper. From all the drives I've blown up the gears came apart and ocasionally the top cap lifts. OK I exploded a upper case once but who keeping track. Buy the way the Teague Platinum drive didn't hold up either but it was not a new XR Platinum. And yes I now need yet another drive.
Just for info I don't lay into it until about 40 mph or so and I come onto plane very easily. Its probably the 950+ lbs of torque, nnaahhh. I have talked with Teague Imco and mercury racing but they all try to sell teir products. So I need input from you guys. Thanks.

gimprvr
05-22-2002, 10:57 AM
Check out these guys www.mbrmaxmachineworx.com, (http://www.mbrmaxmachineworx.com,) talk to Aaron or Jason, they have not had one unit over a 1000 HP blow yet, they are very easy to work with and they know there stuff. they are in Havasu also. 928-505-7860 tell em gimpl sent ya

SVO 540
05-22-2002, 11:36 AM
I run the Imco SC drive. My motor makes over 1000 hp. The drive has been awesome, not one problem. I am not familiar with the other outdrive options but I can tell you from experience that the Imco SC drive will last with big power in a single engine cat.
One thing to remember with a cat: Most people think you put the most stress on a drive at full throttle. This is not true. The most stress is around 4000 rpm. The actual rpm for most outdrive stress will vary based on engine and boat. The point of most stress is a combination of the engine making peek torque at a point where the cat is not packing enough air to reduce the wetted surface. At this rpm the boat has more wetted surface than it does at full throttle. This is why slip is greater at slower speeds. More wetted surface, more friction, more slip, more load on your outdrive.
I never cruise in this peek torque/wetted surface range. I either cruise at 2800-3300 rpm or if I want to go faster I drive right through.

hulshot
05-23-2002, 06:08 PM
I blew it at 3000/3100 rpms. Damn drives.
I read the new hot boat article about the imco SC looks bad ass. Now I don't know weather to us my bravo lower with the nose cone or to use all imco unit either sstock or 1 inch shorter?

HavasuDreamin'
05-24-2002, 08:22 AM
If you have destroyed several drives, why go with a stock gearcase? I would go IMCO Extreme SC from top to bottom. If you pony up the bucks to do this, ask IMCO if you can test both the stock gear case and 1" shorter gearcase to determine which one is faster on your boat. My guess is they will let you do that. Good Luck!

hulshot
05-26-2002, 10:07 AM
Hd I am calling them this week to talk about that. Any idea on the price of a complete drive?? Anyone got an SC they want to sell??