PDA

View Full Version : Some Employees aren't too bright

BarryMac
12-28-2004, 07:56 AM
Today is the first day back for one of my employees after the Christmas break, in the employee handbook it clearly states that you have to work your scheduled day before and after the break in order to recieve Holiday Pay, this individual will not be recieving two paid Holiday's and I guarentee you they will bitch and complain about it. Just so you know they are a cronic abuser of the Companies generous PTO plan and I have been called on the carpet by this person stating I have a problem with there sexual preference (which I don't, couldn't care less), I am sure that it will turn into a discrimination deal before it is all said and done...
thanks needed to vent to someone other than HR...

AzLakeLizard
12-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Most places of empoyment stick with that standard for Holiday Pay. When I worked Payroll for a hospital we posted up the rules by every time clock and in the breakrooms just to help drill it in! Still ended up with people griping BUT not to the extent we had in the ol days! :cool:

Lady Rat Attack 1
12-28-2004, 08:01 AM
I know excatly how you feel. I have a few employee's at my work that will do the same thing. Same at my work, you HAVE to work the day b-4 AND after a Hoilday in order to receive Holiday pay. They have worked here long enough to know better and still I have to go over it again and again :hammerhea

Sportin' Wood
12-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Title should read
Most Employee's are not too bright
I love rain Cry baby bitches did not want to work Monday Now they are screamming because I wont let them work with power tools in the rain. Dumb asses... One even told me " But I've got a family to feed!" My reply was simply. Did they not want to eat on Monday? Should be rainning all week Yee haa!
Moooohhaaahhhaaa I feel just like scrooge today :eat:

LVJAKAZ
12-28-2004, 08:18 AM
The company I work for has the same rules about Holidays. One time i was sick after a Holiday (i really was sick) when i came in two days later I tolld my manager I knew about the rule and i wasnt expecting to be paid for the Holiday and she made a good judgement call and I was paid :) I think it helps that I dont take advantage :)

MsDrmr
12-28-2004, 08:21 AM
sounds typical, I have seen & heard about all that, just keep a record of his/her time off and when and if it ever comes up that they are filing a suite, your protected...

BarryMac
12-28-2004, 08:30 AM
The company I work for has the same rules about Holidays. One time i was sick after a Holiday (i really was sick) when i came in two days later I tolld my manager I knew about the rule and i wasnt expecting to be paid for the Holiday and she made a good judgement call and I was paid :) I think it helps that I dont take advantage :)
Yeah, I would make sure this individual was paid if they didn't take advantage of the system, since they are abusers I don't feel compelled to help thm out. Am I an asshole or just being fair to those that abide by the rules???
sounds typical, I have seen & heard about all that, just keep a record of his/her time off and when and if it ever comes up that they are filing a suite, your protected...
I have been documenting, they has been out sick 8 times this year, too me that is a lot, the kicker is that the schedule that they work is a rotating schedule, three 12 hour days one week four the next, they actually end up working 60 less days in a year that a typical Monday thru Friday employee, saying taht they have abused the system and that pisses me off...

LVJAKAZ
12-28-2004, 08:32 AM
[QUOTE=gottajetboat]Yeah, I would make sure this individual was paid if they didn't take advantage of the system, since they are abusers I don't feel compelled to help thm out. Am I an asshole or just being fair to those that abide by the rules???
You are only being fair to those that do follow the rules. I would piss me off if absusers got the same treatment. You are totally justified :)

RiverOtter
12-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Today is the first day back for one of my employees after the Christmas break, in the employee handbook it clearly states that you have to work your scheduled day before and after the break in order to recieve Holiday Pay, this individual will not be recieving two paid Holiday's and I guarentee you they will bitch and complain about it. Just so you know they are a cronic abuser of the Companies generous PTO plan and I have been called on the carpet by this person stating I have a problem with there sexual preference (which I don't, couldn't care less), I am sure that it will turn into a discrimination deal before it is all said and done...
thanks needed to vent to someone other than HR...
Hope ya got an EPLI policy. :D

BarryMac
12-28-2004, 08:43 AM
Hope ya got an EPLI policy. :D
EPLI???

RiverOtter
12-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Employment Practices Liability Insurance :D

BarryMac
12-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Employment Practices Liability Insurance :D
Hate too say, not sure what that is, hopefully the people in HR do... :D

wsuwrhr
12-28-2004, 08:56 AM
I have been on both sides of that deal. I have lost a few paid vacation days due to an extended river trip. Hell, I got fired for taking two Fridays off in a row to go to the river.
If it is stated in the handbook, tough shit. HE or she can read right?
Brian

RiverOtter
12-28-2004, 08:58 AM
Hate too say, not sure what that is, hopefully the people in HR do... :D
Basically descrimination / wrongful termination insurance. Fire a 65 year old salesman and replace him with a 25 year old girl.

BarryMac
12-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Basically descrimination / wrongful termination insurance. Fire a 65 year old salesman and replace him with a 25 year old girl.
This person wont be fired but I can tell you that when lay-offs come they wont be on my keep list...
If it is stated in the handbook, tough shit. HE or she can read right?
It is in the EHB, and if they can't read your 100% right, tough shit...

NOTALENT
12-28-2004, 09:53 AM
thats the same as with almost any other company..if he can't read..thats his deal..good luck. :lightsabe

Mrs. Bordsmnj
12-28-2004, 09:57 AM
I am the HR dept at my company and I just had a conversation about this issue with an employee.
Our company policy is you have to work the day before and after a holiday to receive holiday pay UNLESS you schedule vacation/PTO ahead of time. So say friday was the holiday, if you requested the following monday as a vacation day, then you would still get paid for the holiday. But if you call in on monday and then try and use PTO, too bad so sad. The thing that sucks is all someone has to do is complain and cry to the President and he will give in and tell me to pay them. :mad:
Anyways, I told her no, she is not getting paid and now she is mad at me and just "threatened" me that she is going to the president. I really don't care. The thing that bugs is this chick is constantly abusing overtime and PTO. Some people just suck. :angry2:
But I try not to let things like this get to me. I have bigger and better things to occupy my mind. Like, I am headed to the river tomorrow night for 4 days. :shift:

HOSS
12-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Had the same thing happen to me when I was production foreman for a big marine electronics firm. Gay black boy thought he was special. Use to cry to the labor board and tried to sue myself and the company for discrimination. Like I whisperred to him that if I catch him in a yard they won`t find him for a week. I`ll beet him with some pipe and throw him down in the hole. He naturally went to human resources with this and I denied I ever had a conversation with him. By that time he cried wolf so much no one would listen to him. But to get back to it he abused the system too. Missed alot of days, his work ethic was just non existent, and he was gay! In my book if your gonna bitch and cry your work performance better back it up. Or else they`ll find you in the bilge. God damn fags! :mad:

ROZ
12-28-2004, 10:01 AM
I get 13 sick/discretionary days that don't roll into the following year... You're god damn right I'm going to use them ALL.... In other words, 8 days sick ain't chit :D
Also, I use all my discretionary/sick pay before I use any vacation time.... If you get fired or laid off, you get compensation for vacation and NOT accumulated sick time...
In the end a large company doesn't care about it's empolyees; You'll get laid off to protect it's(company) profits. So work it the best you can, then move on to something bigger better if and when it comes along... :rollside:

BarryMac
12-28-2004, 10:11 AM
8 days sick is a lot when you only work 7 days in two weeks, 14 days a month, my employees are very well compensated, 56 hours of regular pay and 24 hours of overtime in a pay period plus the perks that the company and myself grant them. The offender is a cronic abuser, if they weren't I would fight for them just like I would for the other 7 people the report to me, they are so they get ZERO simpathy from me, plus like Hoss said if the Job Performance backed it up than it isn't a big deal, this individuals JP is not spectacular so sorry, not going to get me to throw them a pitty party...

BarryMac
12-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Hell, you're all just a bunch a really mean ol' bastards! It's heartless creeps like you that make "good employees" NOT want to come to work. I don't think I've worked 9 months this last year and gottajetboat's bitching about 8 days! Whadda weinerhead! Wonder iffin I'll get my holiday pay? I think I'm gonna sue.
Rio
You can't be serious, if you could ask any person that works for me, I am the most fair boss in my department, I do there jobs so they can take a little extra time at lunch to run errands, the majority bust there asses for me and this company, I try and help those out as often as possible...

Scream
12-28-2004, 10:14 AM
GJB, you're right about some employees being dorks. Some of mine have trouble clocking in and out on a regular basis. I get so tired of tracking down thier hours sometimes I dismiss the day and make them come to me with this confused look on thier face as to why thier check is so small. Some just don't get it. They do get paid for thier time, but they have to wait till the next payday for it. Usually works for a few months before thier crap starts up again. I say if it's in the EHB, then they don't get paid. That is our policy also, and an empolyee cannot just call in a get a vacation day with us, we don't play it that way.
Anyways, I told her no, she is not getting paid and now she is mad at me and just "threatened" me that she is going to the president. I really don't care. The thing that bugs is this chick is constantly abusing overtime and PTO. Some people just suck. :angry2:
You need to plan a pre-emptive strike and talk to the Pres yourself. He/she needs to back you up on these decisions instead of loosing thier spine every time an employee violates company policy. Remind him/her that if he does this consistantly, he's setting de-facto policy that is enforceable if any slimewad wants to persue it down the road...
Scream

MsDrmr
12-28-2004, 10:19 AM
GJB, you're right about some employees being dorks. Some of mine have trouble clocking in and out on a regular basis. I get so tired of tracking down thier hours sometimes I dismiss the day and make them come to me with this confused look on thier face as to why thier check is so small. Some just don't get it. They do get paid for thier time, but they have to wait till the next payday for it. Usually works for a few months before thier crap starts up again. I say if it's in the EHB, then they don't get paid. That is our policy also, and an empolyee cannot just call in a get a vacation day with us, we don't play it that way.
You need to plan a pre-emptive strike and talk to the Pres yourself. He/she needs to back you up on these decisions instead of loosing thier spine every time an employee violates company policy. Remind him/her that if he does this consistantly, he's setting de-facto policy that is enforceable if any slimewad wants to persue it down the road...
Scream
hey, where have you been lately, seen you lovely wife around, but no Scream? hope your doing well.

Keithb87
12-28-2004, 10:19 AM
I have 2 EE's that will be bitching about no pay for the holiday... one called off the day before and one yesterday. It's been policy here for ever.. day b4 and day after to get the holiday pay. Why can't they just show up??? :mad:

HOSS
12-28-2004, 10:21 AM
I`d tell the fag to read the handbook and drop it. If he has a problem tell him to go to the labor board and if you hear anymore about it to hit the gate. Remember that harassment can go both ways. Just remember that you MUST have everything documented to win with the labor board. The company I worked for was L3. I was at the Electronic Design, Inc. branch. We had the same policy. I don`t think any employee would have ever come to me with something this ignorant in fear that I would not only say no but belittle them to the point that they would feel like they got their asses kicked.

Scream
12-28-2004, 10:21 AM
hey, where have you been lately, seen you lovely wife around, but no Scream? hope your doing well.
I've been fine. Turkey Season and all, ya know, no time for fun stuff.
I'd get online once in a while after work, but mostly get up early, leave and fight traffic to our off site storage location, herd my hermans for 10 hours or so (up to 16 hours some days), fight traffic back home, eat, sleep and do it all over again. I had one day off in November and a few in December...Doesn't leave much time for post whoring.
BTW, thanks for asking.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
12-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Weird double post! :squiggle:

MsDrmr
12-28-2004, 10:26 AM
I've been fine. Turkey Season and all, ya know, no time for fun stuff.
I'd get online once in a while after work, but mostly get up early, leave and fight traffic to our off site storage location, herd my hermans for 10 hours or so (up to 16 hours some days), fight traffic back home, eat, sleep and do it all over again. I had one day off in November and a few in December...Doesn't leave much time for post whoring.
BTW, thanks for asking.
my gosh you poor thing, thats a tuff way to do business. Are things slowing down quite a bit for you now? I know the mrs was a bit overwhelmed during X-mas herself, hopefully now that it's over you both can take a deep breath, and relax.
I hate the traffic thing here in CA, get a bit frusterating. :devil:

OutCole'd
12-28-2004, 10:27 AM
It sucks, but I am a firm believer,
10 employee's = 10 headaches. :burningm:

BarryMac
my gosh you poor thing, thats a tuff way to do business. Are things slowing down quite a bit for you now? I know the mrs was a bit overwhelmed during X-mas herself, hopefully now that it's over you both can take a deep breath, and relax.
I hate the traffic thing here in CA, get a bit frusterating. :devil:
Thread Jacker... :D :p :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
Scream
The President of this company is an extremely nice, trusting soul and people here totally abuse it. I can talk to him til I am blue in the face but he will always end up caving. Shed a tear and he is putty in your hands. The only edge I do have is technically the CFO is my boss and she is always on my side so sometimes we can team up on the Pres and get him to stick to the policy.
I too have to track down employee's timesheets and when they don't turn them in, I can't pay them. Well, when that happens, the president will call them and tell them he will write them a personal check if they don't have enough money to get them thru til the next paycheck. What a load of crap that is. Why should they even bother turning in their timesheets if they know the fricken president will cover them?? Sometimes this job is really frustrating. :angry2:

ROZ
12-28-2004, 10:28 AM
How is it possible to abuse the sick day system if you use the days issued?
If 8 days sick seems too much for 168 days of work(5%), then why not issue less sick time?

HOSS
12-28-2004, 10:33 AM
In my book fags have no place in work enviroment with heterosexuals like myself. They have the attitude that everyone thats normal is persecuting them. I`m not persecuting any fags I just want them to stay the hell away from me. And someone at work, especially a grown man, that you have to take by the hand and walk them through every thing is a useless piece of crap.
What you could do is confront this person in front of others and get into an arguement with him till he wants to hit you. After he hits you beet the shit out of him becaus eyou can defend yourself. I unlike most find violence to be the key in seeing things my way.

Craig
12-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Sick days and all can be a mess. We got something like 10 sick days before they rolled it all into a PTO bank. We used to write performance reviews and had a catagory for how many of those 10 days the employee used. A guy that used them all, every year took the company to task for writing something negative about his use of sick days. He went to the Labor Board and won. We were told you can not penalize an employee for using a benefit the company provides. Now if they use more than the 10, different story. Granting benifits to one person and not another is touchy. Hell, we don't even let our temporary outage contractors go any more. We tell the contractors Site Rep, we need a reduction in force of X techs. We don't select names just to avoid potential discrimination suits!
Craig

BarryMac
12-28-2004, 10:45 AM
If 8 days sick seems too much for 168 days of work(5%), then why not issue less sick time?
These are only the days that this person has called in sick, they have used all of there PTO on top of the sick days, half the time they don't have any sick time available when they call in because they've used it all... They are the type that when they get 12 hours on the books they are requesting time off, then they bitch when they call in sick that they aren't going to get paid...

Scream
12-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Employers issue "sick" days to valued employees to aid them when they are ACTUALLY SICK. We give our highest level employees 5 sick days to compensate them for being actually sick, but honestly they take it as an emergency vacation day. Cooincidentally all those that have been afforded 5 sick days are sick exactly 5 days...imagine that.
We've got some lead people that get mad and get even when they have an underling call in sick (it's the I have to do all the work syndrome), so they retaliate and take the next day off. This does nothing more than spread discontent among the other employees and is totally unacceptable IMHO. This issue with the abuse of company policy and whining about not following the rules is more of the same. When an employee burns you and does so because he/she are taking advantage of your good nature, they need to get thier proverbial hands slapped. If they continue to do it and don't get disciplined for it, it breeds bad morale for all of the other employees.
Bottom line, employees need to stick to the plan and grow up and be accountable for thier work and actions. Employers need to stick to the plan as well and put all on a level playing field. Those that abuse the system will only screw up opportunities for those that stick to the rules.
Scream

ROZ
12-28-2004, 11:04 AM
We give our highest level employees 5 sick days to compensate them for being actually sick, but honestly they take it as an emergency vacation day.
Employers need to stick to the plan as well and put all on a level playing field.
Scream
:confused:

ROZ
12-28-2004, 11:10 AM
These are only the days that this person has called in sick, they have used all of there PTO on top of the sick days, half the time they don't have any sick time available when they call in because they've used it all... They are the type that when they get 12 hours on the books they are requesting time off, then they bitch when they call in sick that they aren't going to get paid...
So there's more to the story....

Desert Rat
12-28-2004, 11:14 AM
I get 13 days of sick a year and am allowed to accumulate it to add to retirement. :D I also get 26 days of vacation and every other Friday off. :D :D The new hires do not get to to add their sick to their retirement and the difference between the two types is astounding. :supp: The ones who get to carry it over to retirement have 1000's of hours on the books the others have maybe 100-200. I consider it an insurance policy in case I do get really sick, it will keep the paycheck coming as I don't get state workman’s comp. I have a crew to run and feel the best way to lead is by example. On the other hand the ones that come in sick and pass it around really piss me off!

BarryMac
12-28-2004, 11:20 AM
So there's more to the story....
Ohh yeah, I'll meet ya for lunch some day and tell ya the rest...

ROZ
12-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Ohh yeah, I'll meet ya for lunch some day and tell ya the rest...
Should we roll him in the parking lot? :D

Sleek-Jet
12-28-2004, 11:24 AM
My last employer allowed us to bank sick time. When your employment was over, as long as you weren't fired, they would cut you a check for the time left in your sick leave account, 100%. Hell yeah... I wasn't going to just call in sick for the fock of it. When I left I recieved just a hair under 10,000 on top of my final check.
My current employer does not allow you to take your sick leave with you, although we also bank time. If and when the time comes for us to part ways, I will be "abusing" the system to get my money back out of them.
In my mind, sick leave is part of my compensation, not a benifit to the company. If an employee wants to burn all his PTO/sick leave, and follows the rules of such benefits, fine. It's kind of like not voting though, you loose your "bitch" rights.

BarryMac
12-28-2004, 11:26 AM
I have a crew to run and feel the best way to lead is by example. On the other hand the ones that come in sick and pass it around really piss me off!
I completely 100% agree with that statement, I can tell you that in this case it is abuse, non the less. BTW, this persons peers are sick of having to cover for the abuser, it hurts their morale, I do my best too keep my good employees morale up by giving them lunches or credits to the company store.

ROZ
12-28-2004, 11:38 AM
I do my best too keep my good employees morale up by giving them lunches or credits to the company store.
You need electronics in there ;) :D

BarryMac
12-28-2004, 11:59 AM
You need electronics in there ;) :D
I wish, they only sell boring stuff like Golf Balls, Hats, Shirts and crap like that, if they sold Stereos and Components I would be in big trouble...

ROZ
12-28-2004, 12:27 PM
I wish, they only sell boring stuff like Golf Balls, Hats, Shirts and crap like that, if they sold Stereos and Components I would be in big trouble...
We stock a few items in the Goodrich Company store.... :cool: