PDA

View Full Version : Have you used this Throttle?

Raisin Wake
12-30-2004, 07:01 AM
Has anybody used this throttle? (http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=3442)
I'm looking for a smoother moving throttle that will allow for small changes in speed (i.e. kids skiing) If you have a better idea, I'd like to hear it.
Thanks all. Happy New Years!!!!

OGShocker
12-30-2004, 07:07 AM
Seems like that one is a SHIFTER only model. Am I wrong?

Raisin Wake
12-30-2004, 07:14 AM
That could be. I guess I should read the header on the page. Oh well. I'm looking a smooth throttle that will move through the throttle range in a manner that allows for small speed adjustments. Am I dreaming here? My old inboard had a very smooth throttle. Is there something about I/O's that doesn't allow this? I'm a I/O newb. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Havasu Hangin'
12-30-2004, 07:16 AM
What kind do you have now?

Raisin Wake
12-30-2004, 07:24 AM
What kind do you have now?
It's the original throttle. I don't have a picture, but, it's more like this one. (http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=37471)
It's way to "Bayliner" for me.

Havasu Hangin'
12-30-2004, 07:33 AM
Are you using all the throw?

Raisin Wake
12-30-2004, 07:39 AM
Are you using all the throw?
Yes. But when I'm skiing my kids, I use just a little bit. That's the problem. They don't ski fast so they just need a bit of throttle. It's hard to dial it in.

Havasu Hangin'
12-30-2004, 07:45 AM
I think the problem is that almost any throttle will have the same amount of throw (it has to open the carb butterflies the same amount).
However, your current one probably has the shifter built in, so the first part of the throw is actually used shifting the drive into gear.
If that is the case, I'd look for a dual (offshore style) shifter- that may be the feel you are looking for?

kevnmcd
12-30-2004, 07:55 AM
You could always use the shifter that you refered to in your first post and add a foot throttle. Just a thought.

BADBLOWN572
12-30-2004, 08:23 AM
We used one of the InControl throttles on RD's mini boat and it was sweet. It was very smooth shifting and throttling. Here is a picture of it. The backplate was custom machined, but it gives you an idea of what you are looking for. It had a solid black back plate that we junked because it was not "bling" enough. :D :)
http://www.riverratlife.com/dave/images/bubbles/Plate1.JPG
http://www.riverratlife.com/dave/images/bubbles/Plate2.JPG

Raisin Wake
12-30-2004, 08:27 AM
If that is the case, I'd look for a dual (offshore style) shifter- that may be the feel you are looking for?
A quick question about that. With a seperate shifter, can you go from forward to reverse quickly? Say your approaching the dock, could I still move from forward to reverse so I could stop?
Well, that's a poorly worded question....

Havasu Hangin'
12-30-2004, 08:37 AM
A quick question about that. With a seperate shifter, can you go from forward to reverse quickly? Say your approaching the dock, could I still move from forward to reverse so I could stop?
Well, that's a poorly worded question....
For Mrs HH, the dual controls are easier. On our old boat, she had this bad habit of shifting too hard, and would get into the throttle. Not good around the docks.
Since you never want to shift at anything but idle, there's really no difference. If you want to shift, then give it some throttle quickly, it takes a little getting used to...but no worries.
However, try it with two engines...and blower surging...and having to put on engine in forward and one engine in reverse...and it gets a little tricky.
:supp:

Mandelon
12-30-2004, 08:53 AM
There's a ski boat option called "Perfect Pass" I know you can set it and forget it. It will compensate for conditions and maintain set speed.
Never used one, just heard of it.
http://www.perfectpass.com/main.html

Raisin Wake
12-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Most of the offshore style throttles/shifters mount on a horizontal surface. I need some that mount on a vertical surface. Much like BedBlown's shown above. Thanks for the pictures!!! Where can I find "InControl" Throttles? I've been looking at Rex Marine, Livorsi, and CP Performance. Where else should I look?
Thanks.

HM
12-30-2004, 08:59 AM
There's a ski boat option called "Perfect Pass" I know you can set it and forget it. It will compensate for conditions and maintain set speed.
Never used one, just heard of it.
http://www.perfectpass.com/main.html
You have to be careful with Perfect Pass, because once you ski behind a boat with one, you get very intolerant of even the best drivers!!
Perfect Pass f'ing rocks! Looking at a minimum of $1K. Money well spent.
The good thing is that is makes the worst throttle jockeys an expert. My wife can drive the boat with joy!

C-2
12-30-2004, 09:03 AM
You can use a control box which allows you to mount an offshore control, such as this (look at the bottom of the page):
http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/controls_throttles.htm#NEW_BILLLET_RACING_STRAIGHT _HANDLE_CONTROLS
Or maybe rework your seat and panel to allow for a side mounted offshore control.
I think Craig from this board has an offshore mounted this way on his 22' Advantage Sport Cat.
Damn, we're actually talking boats in this joint. What's wrong with us :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:

Havasu Hangin'
12-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Most of the offshore style throttles/shifters mount on a horizontal surface. I need some that mount on a vertical surface. Much like BedBlown's shown above. Thanks for the pictures!!! Where can I find "InControl" Throttles? I've been looking at Rex Marine, Livorsi, and CP Performance. Where else should I look?
Thanks.
I've seen the horizontal mounted dual controls like BB572 pictured. Also, I think they make a pod to convert horizontal to vertical for the Livorsi shifters.

Jbb
12-30-2004, 09:08 AM
[However, try it with two engines...and blower surging...and having to put on engine in forward and one engine in reverse...and it gets a little tricky.
:supp:[/QUOTE]
Would you like some Cheese with that Whine................Biatch.... :D

BADBLOWN572
12-30-2004, 09:12 AM
In Control Web Site (http://www.incontrolequipment.com/default.htm)
I would look here and see who they would recommend to contact.

Raisin Wake
12-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys. I'll be taking a serious look at that In-Control setup. Appreciate the help.

Tom Brown
12-30-2004, 09:45 AM
You could always use the shifter that you refered to in your first post and add a foot throttle. Just a thought.
:cool:

rvrpig
12-30-2004, 12:26 PM
if your having a hard time with little incements in your throttle movement you might look at the cable you shifter is connected to. I have the same shifter as you and I found that replacing the cable made all the difference and saved awhole lot of time and money. That might be an option to look at first before you replace the shifter and find you still have the same problem. Just and idea.

bocco
12-30-2004, 02:11 PM
There is also a third cable on the Mercruisers that connects from the linkage on the engine down to the outdrive. You can try disconnecting that one just to see if it shifts easier. That will isolate which cable it is.
Question for Badblown, on that total control shifter which lever is the throttle and which is the shift?

BADBLOWN572
12-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Question for Badblown, on that total control shifter which lever is the throttle and which is the shift?
The throttle is the one on the inside with the handle uptop. The shifter is outside and is shorter with a little round ball instead of the handle.
BB572

Raisin Wake
01-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Well, I picked up an In-Control throttle shifter set from Gart Teague in Montclair.
http://www.gtmarine.com/parts/Incontrol_p04.php#sft422
It looks great and should solve my problems. I'll try and post some pics when I install it. Might be a few weeks. Thanks for all your help!!!

BADBLOWN572
01-02-2005, 08:33 AM
That is the one that we used on Bubbles. I really like it and it should work out very well for you. One thing to consider. I am not sure, but I dont think that your existing cables will be compatible. You might need to change them out too to make that shifter work. Just a thought.

framer1
01-02-2005, 08:48 AM
I had that throttle in my Mach 26, I could never get it to shift right. I had it adjusted at Savage marine twice could still not get to shift right. At the end it got so hard my wife cuouldn't drive the boat anymore, because she wasn't strong enough to shift it. It could of just been mine but I hope they don't use that shifter in my new boat.

BADBLOWN572
01-02-2005, 08:54 AM
That doesn't sound like anything to do with the shifter. It has a pressure adjustment on the shifter and can go from little resistance to heavy resistance. It will not adjust when set either. When it is very hard, it usually is a cable or a pivot point. Very rarely is it ever the shifter. Easiest way to test is to disconnect at the back of the boat. $10 says that it should move freely. If not, it is the cable. I have rigged boats for 5 years and never once found that a shifter was defective. Cables freequently, drives occasionally. If the drive doesnt want to shift, it will take a great deal of force to get it to kick into drive. Nothing complex or difficult about the shifter (especially InControl). I would put this shifter on any boat for my personal use.

framer1
01-02-2005, 08:57 AM
That doesn't sound like anything to do with the shifter. It has a pressure adjustment on the shifter and can go from little resistance to heavy resistance. It will not adjust when set either. When it is very hard, it usually is a cable or a pivot point. Very rarely is it ever the shifter. Easiest way to test is to disconnect at the back of the boat. $10 says that it should move freely. If not, it is the cable. I have rigged boats for 5 years and never once found that a shifter was defective. Cables freequently, drives occasionally. If the drive doesnt want to shift, it will take a great deal of force to get it to kick into drive. Nothing complex or difficult about the shifter (especially InControl). I would put this shifter on any boat for my personal use.
Your probably right but it was a pain in the butt and nobody could seem to fix it. Should have taken it back to DCB but it's a long haul from where I live.