PDA

View Full Version : Food For Thought

Jeff
04-03-2001, 03:00 AM
Going to lite the candle for some food for thought. My brother and I were talking this past weekend about all the posts on Jet Performance. We were wondering why Hot Boat doesn't pick-up on this. The jet board is by far the most active. Is hot boat sleeping?? The offshore boats (board) which they seem to cater too in the magazine, ownly has 1/4 the posts that the jet site has. You would think that they (Hot Boat) would dedicate a little space for the classic or new jet. I'm sure I'll get some backlash over this but it is something I have noticed, and not ment to offend anyone. Any comments?????
Jeff

Gerrit
04-03-2001, 06:31 AM
The difference I think, is that the majority of Jet Boaters dont need a magazine like Hot Boat to be successful in there boating endeavors. We scrimp and save our dollars to spend on , what else , "Boat Stuff". Were as a magazine like this is after the guy with the big bucks. The one's who can afford the boats they feature, that is there target audience.
Just callin it like I see it

Cas42
04-03-2001, 07:05 PM
I'll agree with you about the types of boats that always seem to be tested but I can't agree that Hot Boat is catering to the off shore boaters. I think the larger deeper v boats are just a lot more popular these days.
I read in another area (I think) that Hot Boat tests boats that the manufacturer brings not what they choose.
I'd definitely like to see more on jet performance, what works best for different applications, and since I have a Panther, I'd love to see some in depth articles about them.
Maybe they could divide the magazine up into different sections starting with the tech articles?

Caribbean19'
04-03-2001, 07:37 PM
Jeff,
I agree with you. Many of the boats profiled in Hot Boat are way out of the cost ball park for most of us, at least it seems. I hope Hot Boat does not forget about us little guys. Even so, Hot Boat is still the only magazine that covers the kind of performance boating that most of us seem to enjoy.

ULTRA28
04-03-2001, 08:16 PM
Hot Boat is the only magazine that does anything on jet boats. They do seem to feature many in reader rides and in Hot Boat of the month features. It is true that Hot Boat tests what we (the manufacturers) bring. Once every other year they dedicate an entire issue to jet boats (the last being Oct 99, so hopefully we'll get another this year). The only problem is that not many builders do jets anymore. Jets have now become too expensive in comparison to I/Os to build. By the time you add a set back jet,inducer impellar, loader grate, diverter, headers, and horsepower, the jet has priced itself out of the market dollar for mph. We (Ultra) still offer many different models as jet packages and are currently the largest manufacturer of REAL jet boats. We were the only builder to offer a jet for the 2001 Hot Boat evaluations. One thing people should notice is that we (when equipped with a jet) always destroy the competition, including twin outboards, in accel runs, currently holding the Hot Boat record for quickest boat ever tested 0 to 70. There is nothing like a jet for acceleration. But even we can't afford to build an 18' bubbledeck anymore for under 25k, it's a shame but it seems like the only way we are going to continue to see trick jets in Hot Boat is going to be in reader rides. Believe me, I'm going after the offshore market too, it's the current trend and we have to go where the money is, but we will always build jets as our main offering. We are currently tooling three new models specifically for jets, I'm sure you'll be seeing them in upcoming issues.
John West
Ultra Custom Boats

MikeC
04-03-2001, 09:16 PM
I think you all hit it on the spot!
I have a question for Ultra28, You know the boating business mucho better than I and most likely most of the other folks on here. I was wondering though, is the bulk of the cost of boat building in the building (glass/gel work) or would you say the rigging? I'd bet most of your average Jetters today are hands on kinda guy's. I'd think they'd love to recieve thier new 19 foot pickle fork tunnel via UPS, and loaded with all the goodies in boxes waiting for them to install themselves! Again, I don't know if you can make any money this way, but, I bet you'd be in the cookie business really quick..........
Am I all wet???
Thanks for the insite
MikeC
AKA: FlatOutPlaced

440jetster
04-03-2001, 10:38 PM
Where is the expense? A jet costs on the average of 9 cents per hour to operate. Three moving parts and the lowest fuel economy on the market.Best of all is the saftey factor, I know my small boys are safe from getting chopped to shreds from spinning props. It's the fad and lower numbers and lack of public knowlege that holds the jet back. I have a Berkeley stage 1 and I have owned all types of drives, but jet drives are going to make a come back, and prices will come down just wait. Till then watch your back here comes another jet!

Jim Hall
04-04-2001, 06:02 AM
I think what is happening is the day of the boater like ourselves is over! The younger guy's I boat with have no idea how to work on their boats. Let's face it look at a new
Cole,Howard or facsimile and they look like a nightmare, serpentine belts electronic fuel injection etc. Simple brute horsepower is the thing of the past! I guess what I'm trying to say is that the new consumer wants to go down to local boat manuf. buy a boat and never worry about it, much like buying a car. Like I have commented on the RJB board we are a unique bunch, we remember how it was and we keep it alive "Hail to the REAL JET BOAT"!

Cas42
04-04-2001, 08:58 AM
Jim,
you've got a valid point there. I can see and hear it in my own kids "Dad, why do you keep working on the boat, just buy a new one with everything you want"......

Squirtcha?
04-04-2001, 06:46 PM
Hey Cas42, just use the kiddies typical reply.
CUZ

ULTRA28
04-04-2001, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by MikeC:
I think you all hit it on the spot!
I have a question for Ultra28, You know the boating business mucho better than I and most likely most of the other folks on here. I was wondering though, is the bulk of the cost of boat building in the building (glass/gel work) or would you say the rigging? I'd bet most of your average Jetters today are hands on kinda guy's. I'd think they'd love to recieve thier new 19 foot pickle fork tunnel via UPS, and loaded with all the goodies in boxes waiting for them to install themselves! Again, I don't know if you can make any money this way, but, I bet you'd be in the cookie business really quick..........
Am I all wet???
Thanks for the insite
MikeC
AKA: FlatOutPlaced
Mike, The rigging is one of the major costs in the building of a custom boat, not only because of the labor, but the warranty associated with it. I do sell boats in different stages so people can rig their own boat. I will only do it on certain models of boats ( because of the possibility of splashing), but most of my smaller jets like the 19 shadow I have no problem doing it with. Most people that buy 19' pickleforks off us want to use their own motor anyways.
[This message has been edited by ULTRA28 (edited April 04, 2001).]

ULTRA28
04-04-2001, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 440jetster:
Where is the expense? A jet costs on the average of 9 cents per hour to operate. Three moving parts and the lowest fuel economy on the market.Best of all is the saftey factor, I know my small boys are safe from getting chopped to shreds from spinning props. It's the fad and lower numbers and lack of public knowlege that holds the jet back. I have a Berkeley stage 1 and I have owned all types of drives, but jet drives are going to make a come back, and prices will come down just wait. Till then watch your back here comes another jet![/QUOTE
Believe me, I hope jets do make a come back, but when someone is out spending 40k on a new boat and they go to every dealer out there to shop around, they are being told that the I/O is the only way to go. The I/O costs less for the same speed and takes less motor and fuel to do it. The I/O takes much less time(and engineering) to rig. The I/O never seems to leak and most of these guys pay somebody else to maintain them. I can't tell you how many times I've had a new boater pack his pump full of parafin based marine grease only to seize it up in 20 minutes and then wonder why it's not covered under warranty, even though we give a tube of the correct grease with every jet that leaves our showroom with instructions on how to use it. I/O's are just meant for some people. I too will only have a jet for my family, because of the safety factor and there is nothing out there that performs,turns, acclerates, and is just plain fun to drive like a jet. Though the reality is that they are more expensive to build and they take a certain person to appreciate them, so I don't believe we will be seeing them make a come back anytime soon.
[This message has been edited by ULTRA28 (edited April 04, 2001).]

Cas42
04-05-2001, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?:
Hey Cas42, just use the kiddies typical reply.
CUZ
funny you say that, I tried it and the reply I got was....."cuz, isn't an answer Dad"
darn kids are too smart....