PDA

View Full Version : Jet Guru's: how fast am I going?!?!

Jim B.
12-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Hey all,
It's been about 7 or 8 months since I've made a post as I've mainly been snooping around the stuff. Well, my boats been done since July and I've taken it out 4 or 5 times since then. It's a 76' eliminator bubbledeck, bottom and pump by Roger Weiman(including shoe and ride plate), MPD loader. I built the motor myself and specs are as follows: 468 cu in. chevy, ported Dart 345's, clay smith solid flat tappet cam ( .640 lift, 276 @ .050) 10-71 littlefield runnin' alittle over 8 pounds of boost. This motor has not been dynoed!
I'm still dialing everything in and making adjustments to see how the boat reacts. The last time I had the boat out (in blythe) the motor pulled to 5950-6000 in the heat of the day 115 F. The pump is a berkeley JG with an aggressor bronze AB that I think might have been worked alittle. I know I should just buy a damn GPS but, for right now how fast do you suppose I'm going?!?! How much power do you think my motor is making given the numbers and info?! This boat pulls super hard and I know it's makin' good power? Feedback anyone?!!
JiM
Here's a pic:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1219elim3-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1219elim-med.jpg

RandyH
12-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Real Nice Boat.
Happy New Year,
RandyH

MudPumper
12-30-2004, 03:23 PM
Nice boat. I bet it does about 65mph. :wink: Just go out and get yourself a Garmin handheld GPS and be done with it. Also, put that motor on the dyno and get it tuned.

Jim B.
12-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Nice boat. I bet it does about 65mph. :wink: Just go out and get yourself a Garmin handheld GPS and be done with it. Also, put that motor on the dyno and get it tuned.
I was thinkin' more like 70 mph!! HA! Yeah I really need to buy one of those GPS's though. Yeah, I called Jack at MPD and he told me that if I'm spinning an AB Aggressor around 6000 rpm, my motor is making at least around the 800 hp mark which I think is about right. Mid to high 90's in this boat maybe or more?!?!? I'm dying to know. I just thought that with all the experience here on the boards that you guys would be able to tell me ball park what i'd be running mph wise. Also, this last month I ditched my stainless steel 15 gallon side tanks for a 6 gallon IMCO race tank. This will shed a 150 - 200 pounds at least, and I eventually plan on putting 4 to 5 pounds more boost Is that good for a few more mph?!?! I'm hoping............
JiM

sleekvino
12-30-2004, 04:16 PM
really fast? :crossx:

Jake W2
12-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Very clean Eliminator.
Jake

HBjet
12-30-2004, 04:53 PM
19' Eliminator Liberty
Bennett Bottom
MPD pump/loader/rideplate/shoe
Berk Stainless B Impeller
730hp @ 6300rpm (on the dyno)
I turn my B impeller at 5950-6000 rpm and the boat's best speed was 95.5mph with just me in the boat and 10 gallons of gas. Thats in the summer heat too.
Hope that helps you compare a little.
BTW, nice looking boat!
HBjet

flat broke
12-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Jim B,
If that boat is riding nice and dry, loading the pump hard and you're pulling an Aggressor A/B to those RPM, you've got to be knocking on 100. Those Elim bubbles take a nice set, and with the minimal amount of weight in your ride, you should be haulin some serious arse. Very nice looking setup. I love the fabric on the seats. Definitely a clean piece. All of the nice low freeboard rigs runing around are really making me envious.
Chris

Liberator TJ1984
12-30-2004, 06:26 PM
If ya have ta ask :confused: Evidently NOT Fast ENOUGH !!! :D

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
12-30-2004, 06:37 PM
How fast do you want it to go? If it's not fast enough just drink more beer and it'll get quicker!!! NICE BOAT!!!!!! You should be proud like a newborn baby's dad. Budlight :smile:

blown428fe
12-30-2004, 07:02 PM
Jim B - Is Roger Wieman still doing business? Your boat is mint.

bp
12-30-2004, 07:25 PM
I was thinkin' more like 70 mph!! HA! Yeah I really need to buy one of those GPS's though. Yeah, I called Jack at MPD and he told me that if I'm spinning an AB Aggressor around 6000 rpm, my motor is making at least around the 800 hp mark which I think is about right. Mid to high 90's in this boat maybe or more?!?!? I'm dying to know. I just thought that with all the experience here on the boards that you guys would be able to tell me ball park what i'd be running mph wise. Also, this last month I ditched my stainless steel 15 gallon side tanks for a 6 gallon IMCO race tank. This will shed a 150 - 200 pounds at least, and I eventually plan on putting 4 to 5 pounds more boost Is that good for a few more mph?!?! I'm hoping............
JiM
could be anywhere from 85 to 105, who knows? most people that have no clue usually find out that it's not really going as fast as they thought it was, and has more left in it. a cheaper way to find out, even cheaper than a gps, would be to spend $75 for a one time only river racer weekend at ming, get 4 laps on the clocks and see what it does. 'course, you'd have to beg/borrow some safety gear, and do a couple things to your boat, but you'll end up with some accurate time slips and maybe know what it'll do.

cyclone
12-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Jim B - Is Roger Wieman still doing business? Your boat is mint.
He's retired and living it up in Havasu.

LVjetboy
12-30-2004, 07:49 PM
"Mid to high 90's in this boat maybe or more?"
I'd say maybe more, if your hull and setup good. Aggressor A/B at 6k = 750 lake hp according to the charts. That could easily be 800+ hp or better corrected on a dyno. About 50-100 more hp than I have.
I have a tunnel so not the same aero lift but maybe a bit heavier.
In addition to GPS consider adding pitot. Not expensive, and more accurate than some assume. Once you calibrate you'll know. Analog's a lot easier to scan for ballpark at speed than digital GPS, plus you got a backup to verify GPS if it breaks lock.
Personally, I don't know why anyone runs without speed measurement (or fuel, oil, water, etc. for that matter) because sensors not that hard, heavy or costly to install. Especially compared to the high $ machinery they measure and protect. You see the v with one big a** tach on the dash and that's it. ?? Why is that? Is rpm the only thing worth measuring?
But then I'm a numbers guy and like to know. To each his own.
jer

Liberator TJ1984
12-31-2004, 06:56 AM
By LVJET,
You see the v with one big a** tach on the dash and that's it. ?? Why is that? Is rpm the only thing worth measuring?
I am usually to Scared to Look at the other gauges :D

Bense468
12-31-2004, 09:47 AM
Tach and oil pressure...
Very nice looking boat Jim B. I like the piping on the seats.

bp
12-31-2004, 05:58 PM
"Mid to high 90's in this boat maybe or more?"
I'd say maybe more, if your hull and setup good. Aggressor A/B at 6k = 750 lake hp according to the charts. That could easily be 800+ hp or better corrected on a dyno. About 50-100 more hp than I have.
I have a tunnel so not the same aero lift but maybe a bit heavier.
jer
i agree with bense, very nice looking boat, and i do like the seats. the sure look comfy.
as far as weight, i'd guess this hull should be lighter than a pc, but you never ever know until you weigh 'em. on the other hand jer, jim's engine would be heavier with what appear to be iron heads, and with the blower.
setup is everything and no two boats are the same, so you can't take the one (neo) setup and say "here's the answer". sorry, i know you don't like hearing that, but that's the way it is.