PDA

View Full Version : Building a Garage

Ultracrazy
12-31-2004, 07:50 AM
The house at the river is getting a new garage.......question is....how big?
I need a contractor and some help with the dimensions.
My place is in Topock, AZ.
I'm looking at getting a 24 Ultra Stealth..........how deep should my garage be?????
Thanks for the help and Happy New Year!!

Ultracrazy
12-31-2004, 07:57 AM
My lot is 75 by 150 with nothing on it.....bought it when I bought the house.
Only 16 feet wide? Is that considered a two car garage?

Ultracrazy
12-31-2004, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the info........I assume your tremor fit in a 40' deep garage?

ChumpChange
12-31-2004, 08:22 AM
My buddy parks his 24 Stealth in the 30' section of my garage. Make it bigger though, you'll eventually upgrade the boat.

hoolign
12-31-2004, 08:41 AM
Build it to the absolute maxinmum your lot will allow!!!!..no matter how big it is, as sonn as it's done..you'll want bigger...that's exactley what happened to me :burningm:

ChumpChange
12-31-2004, 08:47 AM
Build it to the absolute maxinmum your lot will allow!!!!..no matter how big it is, as sonn as it's done..you'll want bigger...that's exactley what happened to me :burningm:
Exactly! My garage is only 36' deep. How am I supposed to fit a 42' Outerlimits in there? I'm going to need a new house.

Community
12-31-2004, 09:37 AM
I am using Summit Homes in Havasu - call Kent 928-230-9757.

Ultracrazy
12-31-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys......now.......in good construction Co's out there??

Trigger
12-31-2004, 10:21 AM
definitely go as big as you can fit. You will fill it up faster than you think. DON'T go with 10ft wide doors. Go bigger. Boats can easily be 8'6" wide (legal limit) and that does ot leave much room for error on each side. Go at least 12ft doors. I had to add on to the length of my barn for my new boat (barn is 46' deep by 40' wide) and the tip of the trailer still is out about 10 inches. When the new house is built the new garage is going to be bigger than this one. I learned from my past mistakes. :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2051garage2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2051Garage.jpg

v-drive
12-31-2004, 10:48 AM
The father in laws is 40 x 60 and we were just talking and thinking how fast it filled up...Go as big as the lot and your wife will allow..v-drive

Ultracrazy
12-31-2004, 11:28 AM
You hit the nail on the head......"the wife"

hoolign
12-31-2004, 11:57 AM
Build it big enough so you can have a room for yourself :D kinda like the "he man women haters club" off of little rascals :D :D

chub
12-31-2004, 12:37 PM
HP Construction is enclosing my carport in town this week. I'll let you know how they do. We'll be up there tonight. I'm on Kayente. it's orange and blue with lots of cars outfront this weekend.

Ultracrazy
12-31-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks Chub.......I'll look for you when I come in......it will be couple of weeks.

plaster dave
12-31-2004, 12:44 PM
Well I dont know if you are going to drywall your garage but if you do hang plywood on the walls so you dont need to find a stud. Make sure you make it high enough so you can pull motors in it.

TCHB
12-31-2004, 12:45 PM
I just had a contractor work up our garage. The size is 30ft wide by 46 deep with 13ft garage door. The person name is Jeff in Havasu seems to know all the details. He has done some work for us and is only person that has done what he said. He is honest and knows what he is talking about. If you need his number let me know.

Ultracrazy
12-31-2004, 01:06 PM
I will definitely take his # thanks..... :cool:

Ultracrazy
01-06-2005, 08:16 AM
TCHB.......if you have Jeff's #, I could really use it. Heading out next weekend......would like to hook up with some contractors ASAP. Thanks

Steamin' Rice
01-06-2005, 08:25 AM
The bigger the better... We are finishing a house with a garage that has a 42' deep bay.. I already wish that it was at least 45' deep... Don't forget to increase the height of the garage doors if possible..

Ultracrazy
01-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Rice..........how tall are your garage doors?

DogHouse
01-06-2005, 09:02 AM
What's a good rule-of-thumb number for price/sq ft on garage additions and/or new construction? I'm thinking of pushing the front of mine forward about 10 ft so I can get the boat back inside. It's 40' wide with two doors. The roof line is such that it can come forward easily by adding trusses. Probably also switch to taller doors while I'm at it.
Thanks,
-Brian

roostwear
01-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Check your local codes to make sure you CAN build only a garage on the lot. In BHC, I cannot build just a garage on a lot :yuk: , it must have a dwelling. You might have to combine the lots (if they are adjacent) to make it one. Sounds stupid, but you're entering the bureaucracy zone.....

HavasuDreamin'
01-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Shiat...........half you guys should just step up and buy a couple hundred thousand square foot industrial building, then lease part of it out. :rollside:

Ultracrazy
01-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Shiat...........half you guys should just step up and buy a couple hundred thousand square foot industrial building, then lease part of it out. :rollside:
I think I "married" the lots when I purchased them.......I'll have to do some home work on that one.

Domn8er
01-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Very easily. Currently I have a 29/29 and I have to tweak it a bit.....Just a bit
Tom, what's going on bud? Did you find some one to do your garage or are you still looking?

rvrpig
01-06-2005, 11:28 AM
try www.miracletruss.com can be put up with you and a couple friends in about two to three days...no internal beams to get in the way...and is very inexpensive. No contractors!

rvrpig
01-06-2005, 11:31 AM
a 42w x48L with 16 ft eaves is $17, 884

Ultracrazy
01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Any comments on the pre-fab garage?? Rvrpig.......do you have one or seen one???

Domn8er
01-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Still waiting on a bid :( I am also looking into building a new house on another lot I own...Decisions, decisions...lol
Things are well. Took the boat out on the Sunday after Xmas to GPS it. With 80 gallons got 71.3 so I was pretty happy with that. Hope things are well on your end...
Nice, I will be out there in two weeks. I want to build a garage on the left side where the rv parking is. So when you find out on the bid, let me know.

Domn8er
01-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Any comments on the pre-fab garage?? Rvrpig.......do you have one or seen one???
I just called them and the minimum width is 24'...

Ultracrazy
01-06-2005, 11:57 AM
That's cool........I need one at least 30ft by 40ft........I just wondering if I need a permit or not......I'm in Topock AZ.....anyone have the info for the planning department in Mohave County??

voodoomedman
01-06-2005, 01:56 PM
We just bought a brand new house in Havi by SunMeadow Homes. Great company and they do up in mohave valley and bullhead too so maybe will do a garage in topock? one bay of my garage goes back 50 feet. Two things to look at besides the depth. One it the width. I've got a 24 Stealth and theres about a foot and a half extra combined total of both sides on each side of my boat. The garage is 10 foot wide in the back half. Of course the 24 Stealths are a full 100 inches at the beam but if you ever go a longer boat then it could end up being a bit wider and you want the extra room to get around the boat and work and detail without having to pull it forward. Secondly make sure you have straight back access to get it in without the door getting in the way. My darn door comes out 2 feet from the sidewall and the boat and truck are too long to get it back there with the truck so I just bought one of those trailer dolly's to push it back the last few feet.

sigepmock
01-06-2005, 03:09 PM
In case you're interested, my company makes these Quick Bolt building out of our Texas and Tenn. plants and we have a sales manager in Pheonix that could help ya.
Quick Bolt (http://www.metaldirect-louisville.com/Product%20QBOLT%20Page.htm)
I'm not an expert on them since we don't make them here in our CA plant but I could put you in contact with the guy and get you a petty good deal. Let me know I'll PM you his info.
Chris

RiverOtter
01-06-2005, 03:13 PM
JBB once posted some pics of the "Ultimate" garage. It was amazing. Several pics. Must have been $200,000. :cool:

rvrpig
01-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Never seen one By that company..At least not that I have know. But I have researched it.miracle truss uses wood cross beams so you can add a drywall ceiling if you want and peg board on the sides to hold tools, parts, and etc.
You can also use standard insulation from any store to fill inbetween the walls and trusses. It comes in many, many colors and all it needs are garage doors and regular doors. Plus if you run the building slope on the right and left...you can add sides and extra piece to it making the garage 8ft wider and the length of the original garage.
As for permit..ya you still need a permit even thought you are doing it yourself. Same rules but not contractors fees...pretty simple process. ( I am on the planning commission for Needles)
Normal setbacks also are required...usually 5ft from the property line.

CornWater
01-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Check your local codes to make sure you CAN build only a garage on the lot. In BHC, I cannot build just a garage on a lot :yuk: , it must have a dwelling. You might have to combine the lots (if they are adjacent) to make it one. Sounds stupid, but you're entering the bureaucracy zone.....
Anybody know about this... I have bought the lot behind my house in Havasu, and would like to put a garage there. I have been looking at a 40'x40' from steel building (http://steelbuilding.com). I have also heard that I must merge the lots, or there will have to be a dwelling there as well, and the garage may only be a percentage the size of the dwelling.
Also, does anybody know if Havasu will allow steel buildings?? I have heard that their planning dept. will not allow them anymore.. Any truth to this??
Jeff

CornWater
01-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Hello?? is this thing on?? :rollside:

Ultracrazy
01-11-2005, 09:33 AM
ttt
Thanks Rvrpig

ACCEPTENCE
01-11-2005, 10:24 AM
That's cool........I need one at least 30ft by 40ft........I just wondering if I need a permit or not......I'm in Topock AZ.....anyone have the info for the planning department in Mohave County??
Ultra Crazy,
Here is a pic of the building I did over in Mohave County (Bramuda Acres Subdivision) kinda behind the Am-Pm.
I'll find better ones (pic's) if you need to see um.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1415Building.jpg
It's 40 x 60 with 12 foot doors. Your welcome to git by and have a look.
I'm think this may be a little less expensive then stick built but not sure.
...and danm it goes up fast!!!
You shouldn't have any problem with County as far as permits go. Their in bullhead down on Hancock as I remember. Took about 15 mins for over the counter plan check and the dude wrote in electrical on the plan for me right then and there, way cool.
Cheers, Greg

Ultracrazy
01-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Looks good Acceptance.......I know where the AM/PM is......is the garage on 95?

ACCEPTENCE
01-11-2005, 12:00 PM
At 95 and the K&K used car lot is Honduras Road, right close to the Mobile Station, only goes one way, up river.
It's on the right hand side on Honduras Road. You can't miss it.
I'll be down this weekend, gimmi a buzz if you wanna see the inside and how it's built. (818) 398-6635
Best thing I ever did was build that building!!!
Here's another picture I found of it in the image center.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1415Building2-med.jpg

dirty old man
01-11-2005, 12:04 PM
build it long enough so you can leave your tow vehicle hooked up, no need to disconnect all the time. that should make it 70 - 80 considering future boat. don't forget floor drain, vacuum, skylites, compressor and trick flooring. water softner is nice if you want to wash inside. need anymore?

Norseman
01-11-2005, 12:05 PM
definitely go as big as you can fit. You will fill it up faster than you think. DON'T go with 10ft wide doors. Go bigger. Boats can easily be 8'6" wide (legal limit) and that does ot leave much room for error on each side. Go at least 12ft doors. I had to add on to the length of my barn for my new boat (barn is 46' deep by 40' wide) and the tip of the trailer still is out about 10 inches. When the new house is built the new garage is going to be bigger than this one. I learned from my past mistakes. :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2051garage2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2051Garage.jpg
Definitly go for a big as you can. As soon as it's built you will realize it's way too small!!!
And 12 foot door are a really good idea, Joan helped me out and backed the truck into our garage, and managed to scrape the dually fender on the passengers side and then over correct and rip the fender off the drivers side of the truck..... :mad: It was only a 9 foot wide door.... :confused:
She wanted to surprise me when I got home, BOY was I surprised!!!!! :mad:
It would have been cheaper to put in the bigger doors :D
Bob

Norseman
01-11-2005, 12:09 PM
At 95 and the K&K used car lot is Honduras Road, right close to the Mobile Station, only goes one way, up river.
It's on the right hand side on Honduras Road. You can't miss it.
I'll be down this weekend, gimmi a buzz if you wanna see the inside and how it's built. (818) 398-6635
Best thing I ever did was build that building!!!
Here's another picture I found of it in the image center.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1415Building2-med.jpg
How big is it????
A buddy of mine built one like that 3 years ago, his was 36 X 60. He's building a new house this year, and the new shop building will be 48 X 72. And he figures it will still be too small....
I'm try to talk the wife and the town into letting me build a 36 X 48 Combo shop / stable in the backyard.
My daughter figures it needs to be all stable, but I figure it will be 80% shop.
Bob

Ultracrazy
01-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Acceptance..........did you erect this building? If so.........who did the concrete and electrical?
I'll be out this weekend........I'll give you a call if you don't mind.

XtrmWakeborder
01-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Reminds me of this house in Havi i saw up the street from our cono "Havasu Dunes" a street over from the golf course. Guy had a huuuge house on his lot and bought the lot next door and filled it in with huge garages. Now that was a hot set-up.

RiverPirate
01-11-2005, 10:10 PM
You can not build a garage that is TOO big. Do it now so you don't regret it later, like I am with a 36 footer.... :frown:

4-B
01-11-2005, 10:16 PM
I have heard... the bigger the better, and size does matter... but it is really all a personal choice isnt it :notam:

ACCEPTENCE
01-11-2005, 11:40 PM
How big is it????
A buddy of mine built one like that 3 years ago, his was 36 X 60. He's building a new house this year, and the new shop building will be 48 X 72. And he figures it will still be too small....
I'm try to talk the wife and the town into letting me build a 36 X 48 Combo shop / stable in the backyard.
My daughter figures it needs to be all stable, but I figure it will be 80% shop.
Bob
Hey Bob,
I looked at the drawings a few ago and it is 30 x 60. Not 40 x 60.
When I first built it it seemed massive and I thought " what the hell have I done"???
Now I look at it and say "what the hell have I done" "it's to small"
I have plans for an extension on that building and building another one similar to the first. Then making a large covered area between the buildings.
Should be pretty cool :D :D :D
Those of you saying build as big as you possibly can are soooooo correct.
Cheers, Greg

ACCEPTENCE
01-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Acceptance..........did you erect this building? If so.........who did the concrete and electrical?
I'll be out this weekend........I'll give you a call if you don't mind.
Myself and some true buddies did the:
Trenching,
Footings,
Pads,
Rebar & Wire,
Forms,
Concrete,
Electrical,
Plumbing,
Lighting,
...and a real cool, competent, capable, professional dude named Scott Tickmeyer did the actual building erection.
Unloaded the semi truck from Fresno then stood it up and two full days later handed me the keys, it was turn key!!! No call backs and no punch list either.
Give me a call, I'll be there.
Cheers, Greg

Kindsvater Flat
01-11-2005, 11:57 PM
I've been to Camp Acceptence. :D
Greg whats up with the grande fuego?
http://www.schoutenranch.com/needles1/images/2004_0429Image0005.jpg
http://www.schoutenranch.com/needles1/images/2004_0429Image0006.jpg

CornWater
01-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Anybody know about this... I have bought the lot behind my house in Havasu, and would like to put a garage there. I have been looking at a 40'x40' from steel building (http://steelbuilding.com). I have also heard that I must merge the lots, or there will have to be a dwelling there as well, and the garage may only be a percentage the size of the dwelling.
Also, does anybody know if Havasu will allow steel buildings?? I have heard that their planning dept. will not allow them anymore.. Any truth to this??
Jeff
TTT one more time.. anybody have any info.. hoping to get a garage up before the heat..maybe too late already.. :confused:

Ultracrazy
01-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Cornwater.........I have been told by those who live in the area that the lots must be "married/merged".
I'm going this weekend to take a look at a metal type set up (Acceptence). It seems the way to go........I just need to find someone to do the concrete, electrical and plumbing. So I will keep you updated.......
UC

CornWater
01-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Cornwater.........I have been told by those who live in the area that the lots must be "married/merged".
I'm going this weekend to take a look at a metal type set up (Acceptence). It seems the way to go........I just need to find someone to do the concrete, electrical and plumbing. So I will keep you updated.......
UC
Thank You.. :smile:

Essex502
01-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Big garages are good. We just finished our newest house in Havasu and I now have a garage that is bigger in every dimension than the house I grew up in!
Is that success?

01-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Greg's shop looks almost identical to mine except for his side door. Mine is 30' x 60' also. As with Greg I thought the same thing when it was being built "....what have I gone and done, its huge" Now its too small and I'm thinking of adding on [another 20' to the front] Go as big as your property and wallet will allow, you can never have a shop thats too big.