PDA

View Full Version : Playcraft Powertoon X-Treme???

Havasu Cig
12-31-2004, 10:01 AM
I am going to order a Playcraft next month with either the 496 HO or a 350 Mag. Does anybody have any recomendations of dealers??? I have heard good and bad about Gaines in Havasu so I looking for opinions.

shadow
12-31-2004, 10:08 AM
I am going to order a Playcraft next month with either the 496 HO or a 350 Mag. Does anybody have any recomendations of dealers??? I have heard good and bad about Gaines in Havasu so I looking for opinions.
I just heard that Gaines sold out and there will be new owners.Don't know if it's true or if it would affect pricing for you either way to buy from the old owners or new owners.If the sale is in fact true.

nielly
12-31-2004, 11:48 AM
I am looking into getting a pontoon boat also, either a JC or Playcraft. I did hear that if you have a 496, in order to service and change the spark plugs, the motor needs to be pulled because of the amount of space in the center pontoon. I hope that's not true. If you plan on having a lot of people on the boat, JC seems to carry more weight.
What do you guys think!!

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-31-2004, 12:07 PM
I am looking into getting a pontoon boat also, either a JC or Playcraft. I did hear that if you have a 496, in order to service and change the spark plugs, the motor needs to be pulled because of the amount of space in the center pontoon. I hope that's not true. If you plan on having a lot of people on the boat, JC seems to carry more weight.
What do you guys think!!
look at the Bennington, they are the cadess of pontoon boats, lots of room in the engine compartment but they only go up to a 310HP motor. I.m going to get a 28.

Havasu Cig
12-31-2004, 04:13 PM
I have heard the 496 option on the Playcraft limits room in the engine compartment but I have not heard the motor had to be pulled to change the plugs. I will have to ask about that.
Bennington's seem to be very nice but I want a little more speed. They are quoting me 60 mph with the 496 HO and 53 mph with the 350 Mag. I don't know if the $$$ is worth the extra 7 mph in a pontoon boat. Looking for people that have been in both to weigh in on that as well.

MudPumper
12-31-2004, 04:42 PM
Don't look at it like you only get 7mph for the $$$ of the 496. Consider having the boat loaded with 10 of your friends and all the gear and how easily it will get up on plane and cruise with the 496 compared to the 350. I can tell you that the 350 mag is a dog when it comes to getting a loaded boat up on plane. I don't think you will regret getting a 496. JMO :)

Havasu Cig
12-31-2004, 04:48 PM
Good point, I am not used to having that many people on my boat but with a pontoon that will change. :cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
12-31-2004, 05:15 PM
I can tell you that the 350 mag is a dog when it comes to getting a loaded boat up on plane. I don't think you will regret getting a 496. JMO :)
We had a 21 Essex Sterling with the 350 MAG and the Bravo III and had no trouble getting up on plane with 10 people in the boat.

framer1
12-31-2004, 05:21 PM
We had a 21 Essex Sterling with the 350 MAG and the Bravo III and had no trouble getting up on plane with 10 people in the boat.
Those Bravo 3's are great out of the hole.

uncle larry
12-31-2004, 05:27 PM
yes - new owners at gaines..
new owners have beeen playcraft owners for along time...
gaines must have done something right in the past they were one of playcraft top dealers......
Good Luck

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-31-2004, 05:47 PM
I have heard the 496 option on the Playcraft limits room in the engine compartment but I have not heard the motor had to be pulled to change the plugs. I will have to ask about that.
Bennington's seem to be very nice but I want a little more speed. They are quoting me 60 mph with the 496 HO and 53 mph with the 350 Mag. I don't know if the $$$ is worth the extra 7 mph in a pontoon boat. Looking for people that have been in both to weigh in on that as well.
well save the cash and put it into a BAD AZZ STEREO, it's a pontoon, made to party not speed. I'm going to get a 28 footer with a 350 mag, so what if its slow but the party, room, drinks, party, BBQ and did I say party will still be going on at 40 Mph

andy01
01-02-2005, 01:40 AM
I have driven a Playcraft with the 496 a couple of times. It is the only way to go in my book, with a pontoon. This was last summer with a year old boat. The boat drove real nice and actually took off pretty quick, the speedo read right at 60 with 4 in Parker. Very nice boat all the way around.
Andy

andy01
01-02-2005, 01:41 AM
Oh yeah, it also had the silent choice for exhaust. I must say it was pretty cool driving a pontoon boat with open exhaust out the back at speed.
Andy

BoatPI
01-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Pontoon's are usually always on plane, so I would not worry about that. I have heard that you can save maybe 5G by purchasing it from a deler in say Texas, or NM. Gaines has a real market in LHC, so check for dealers on the net and call them. The big thing about the extreme is the white powder coated rails, that is a huge plus.

havalen
01-04-2005, 02:46 PM
well save the cash and put it into a BAD AZZ STEREO, it's a pontoon, made to party not speed. I'm going to get a 28 footer with a 350 mag, so what if its slow but the party, room, drinks, party, BBQ and did I say party will still be going on at 40 Mph
yeah what mel sade see ya out there in our new toon

1Bahnerjet
01-04-2005, 02:56 PM
does driving a Pontoon boat 60mph even make sense :confused:
might blow the fire out in the bbq...

TCHB
01-04-2005, 07:15 PM
I have a Bennington 25ft tripple toon with a 225 Honda Four Stroke on the back and will run close to 50 on a speedo. The boat is rock solid and runs over heavy water with ease. Good Luck in your boat shopping.

uncle larry
01-04-2005, 08:57 PM
last playcraft regatta they owner of playcraft brought out a 32' long 10' wide with twins.. did a little over 70mph and hit around 65mph with 13 people on board............

dicudmore
01-04-2005, 09:22 PM
does driving a Pontoon boat 60mph even make sense :confused:
might blow the fire out in the bbq...
That's what I'm saying :D
Of course my 24' Sun-Tracker might touch 20 on its best day ;) (60HP outboard)

syke-o
01-05-2005, 02:08 PM
so whats the price on these floating party barges???? like the playcraft with the HO.. whats that going for?? :confused:
you got me thinking now!!

RiverDave
01-05-2005, 02:17 PM
so whats the price on these floating party barges???? like the playcraft with the HO.. whats that going for?? :confused:
you got me thinking now!!
About 2 22' Lasers.. :D
Seriously though, fully loaded with an HO I think they are 55 - 60 grand? (pretty pricey, but they are bad ass)
RD

syke-o
01-05-2005, 02:45 PM
About 2 22' Lasers.. :D
Seriously though, fully loaded with an HO I think they are 55 - 60 grand? (pretty pricey, but they are bad ass)
RD
ya a bit pricey... it seems like a good alternative to a deck boat though.... and ya i could have 2 of my laser's for one of those :D
i will stick it out with the little laser for another summer or 2 i think...

TCHB
01-05-2005, 07:24 PM
The Bennington and Playcraft are pretty close to the same price. They are right at the $50K mark with the small blocks or a Honda 225 on the back. I looked at all the tri toons and went with the Bennington.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-06-2005, 07:00 PM
The Bennington and Playcraft are pretty close to the same price. They are right at the $50K mark with the small blocks or a Honda 225 on the back. I looked at all the tri toons and went with the Bennington.
good man so will I

bohica
01-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Chris,
I have a buddy that bought the 2nd Playcraft Extreme with the 496 in it last year. Let me know if you want his number to get some info on the boat. He loves it. I almost bought one until the test ride. Got passed by a Wave runner and that was the deciding factor. Had to go with the Conquest. :D

Havasu Cig
01-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it...
The Conquest is definitely an awesome boat but I don't want any fiberglass to worry about. :D

havasulew
01-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Just saw retail numbers for 27' Powertoon with 496 mag---$70K plus trailer, frt and rig. Real money probably between $60K and $65K plus tax and license.
Powertoon 32' with twin 496---$120K plus trailer, frt and rig. Real money between $105K and $110K plus tax and license.
Here's my question---How many people are willing to spend that kind of money for a pontoon boat? If there is a big enough market then Bennington and JC Mfg would be willing to build.

Thunderbutt
01-08-2005, 07:29 AM
If I were you I go to a glass deckboat. (Conquest) I live at LOTO where there are thousands of pontoon boats. I owned a tri-log pontoon and sold it and bought a Warlock deckboat. It rides so much better then the pontoon because it is heaver,(we have heavy water) and it is faster. I've run against the playcraft and bet them every time. My boat only goes 60. (for now).

Havasu Cig
01-09-2005, 10:06 AM
I hear what you are saying but I am going to a pontoon because I want less to worry about. I can beach it anywhere, load it up with people whatever and don't have to worry about chipping fiberglass. I am not selling the Cig so It will be a second boat.
I just need something a little easier that takes less of my time so I can make more trips to Havasu. As it stands right now my trips are limited because I don't have the time to spend on taking care of the boat, and I refuse to let it sit dirty after a trip. :wink:

hot_diggity_dog
01-09-2005, 10:17 AM
I hear what you are saying but I am going to a pontoon because I want less to worry about. I can beach it anywhere, load it up with people whatever and don't have to worry about chipping fiberglass. I am not selling the Cig so It will be a second boat.
I just need something a little easier that takes less of my time so I can make more trips to Havasu. As it stands right now my trips are limited because I don't have the time to spend on taking care of the boat, and I refuse to let it sit dirty after a trip. :wink:
Cheetah! :wink:
HDD :cool:

Phil
08-24-2006, 02:36 AM
If I were you I go to a glass deckboat. (Conquest) I live at LOTO where there are thousands of pontoon boats. I owned a tri-log pontoon and sold it and bought a Warlock deckboat. It rides so much better then the pontoon because it is heaver,(we have heavy water) and it is faster. I've run against the playcraft and bet them every time. My boat only goes 60. (for now).You say, "It rides so much better then the pontoon because it is heaver..." That is bullsh*t!

Trailer Park Casanova
08-24-2006, 04:02 AM
We watch pontoon boats all day long in the ambition of eventually having one in addition to our performance and wakeboard boats.
Seems only a few tri/pontoon boats sit level in the water when not underway.
Some seem to be drastically sinking in the aft section just floating there. Then, underway, the aft section of the boat seems to be submerged making the driver of the boat look like a weinie.
The whole sinking appearing set up looks like crap. Ridiculous.
Some tri/pontoon brands sit level at anchor, and just a small rise in the "bow" when underway which seems the smart starting point for choice.
Not knocking any particular brand, but some lines seem to be overall thought out better than others.

MudPumper
08-24-2006, 05:35 AM
You say, "It rides so much better then the pontoon because it is heaver..." That is bullsh*t!
Wow, nothing like bringing back a 7 month old, dead thread, to make an entrance.

Eliminator 4 Life
08-24-2006, 06:12 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know Im a Playcraft and a JC dealer :)

Todd969
08-24-2006, 07:04 AM
I have a JC 266 and love it. HipCash on the boards just got a 27 extreme with a 496 and it is very nice also. Unleashed (Deano) also has a 25' Bennington. I've seen a huge increase of toons this year and most of the people we've talked too all say it's the best thing they've done boating wise.
Remember: when buying a pontoon it's about relaxing and having fun, not going 65mph.

havasu haulin
08-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Gaines marine in havasu has been Shimmer marine for a year now Gaines was the top west coast dealer .The 496ho is the only way to go with a 27' or 28' extreme if you go with the 350mag you wont be as happy but it will still run good.Also with the playcraft not only are they faster than the jc or bennington the can be custom orderd to your liking ie.seat placement,rail design,powdercoat colors etc.Plus its the only pontoon mfg that has a regatta on lake havasu.

ParkerRat
08-25-2006, 09:21 AM
I spent the weekend looking at Tri-toons. Didnt make it to Playcraft but looked at Bennington, Premeir, South Bay, Crest. Really liked the South Bay with the 496 HO and the Benningtons.
25' Bennington w/320 hp & Bravo III around $57K,
25' Bennington w/496 HO and Bravo III around $72K
25' South Bay w/496 and Volvo Dual Prop around $65K
Any one hear anything bad about the South Bays?