PDA

View Full Version : My night last night...kinda graphic

Phat Matt
12-31-2004, 11:31 AM
So last night I had to go check on a couple of my clients night clubs. I had new DJ's in place and had to help direct them on what to do during the night. I was tired before I went out and didn't really feel like going, but had to go. At the 1st 2 places I didn't have any drinks. At the last stop I had 2 redbull vodka's tall. I wasn't in party mood and sipped on them while everyone else was partying down. I left right before the club closed to beat out the traffic and took one of my friends with me cuz he was drunk. On the way home we were on the 10 and a car come up on me pretty fast and passed me through the Fontana area. Less than a minute later I pull up on a car on it's top on the side of the freeway. Nobody is stopping so I pull over and back up. 4 people are running around crazy and try to jump in my car. They want me to take them away. One girl keeps saying he's dead, he's dead. I call 911 and they send units out. I tell the people to sit down next to my car and I go check on there friend. He's mangled. DOA. Didn't need to check for vitals cuz he must have been ejected from the car when they bounced off the center divider. He ended up on his back in the ice plant with his broken arms all contorted above his head, and his head was flattened to a few inches thick. What was left of his brains were spilled out next to him. He had left a trails of blood and brain matter from where he skipped across the road. I am a little freaked out, but I keep it together. The cops show up and I turn around and the 4 people take off running up the bank of the freeway. I tell the cops there they go and they tell other units. My thoughts were they had either been drinking, underage, or illegal aliens. The fact was there friend was dead, and they took off. After everyone shows up they keep looking at the body cuz it's pretty bad and they are like whoa. After about 45 minutes I ask if we are done here. The cop say he need to take a statement. I give him my ID and tell him what I saw. Then after I did that he hits me with this. How much have you had to drink tonight Matthew. I am already freaked and I did drink, but I wasn't drunk, and I know if I tell him what I really had, "a couple of drinks", he going to run me through the ringer. I thought about this before I stopped, but I had to help out if there was anything I could do. I tell him I had nothing. He's says I smell something and asks me again how much I have had to drink. I tell him nothing again and tell him he is smelling my frined next to me who had been drinking alot. He says ok and he's going to give me a field test. I say OK. He gives me the test, and I pass. But now I am even more freaked. Then he takes a statement from my friend and I have to stand there and think about everything that is going on. I could have just kept driving and so far everyone has said that they would have. I couldn't. We finally get to leave and I take my friend home and sit at his house and try to collect my thoughts. I come home a little while after that and get to bed. I don't sleep well and shake the images. Needless to say I am supposed to go back to a club tonight for New Years and I don't feel like it. I am supposed to DJ and party with my friends. It's not giong to happen. We are going to lay low at my friends house and shoot some pool. Not the New Years Eve I planned on but that sucked last night.
So I guess the moral of the story is be careful tonight while you are out there. Don't just look out for yourself, look out for the other guy too.
Matt

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-31-2004, 11:36 AM
dito everyone been safe

Havasu Hangin'
12-31-2004, 11:37 AM
Man...that's harsh.
It might be time to regroup.

slink
12-31-2004, 11:38 AM
Man tough night. They ever catch the "friends" that ran? Just goes to show how life can change in the blink of an eye. Be safe tonight everyone

Phat Matt
12-31-2004, 11:38 AM
Man...that's harsh.
It might be time to regroup.
Yeah. The cop said it was his second fatality that night. There will probably be more tonight too. :frown:

dicudmore
12-31-2004, 11:40 AM
sorry Matt, sounds like you did the right thing though.
Be safe guys....

OutCole'd
12-31-2004, 11:42 AM
WOW Matt, that is too scarry.
Staying home & laying low is good for me also. Best of luck to you.

Kilrtoy
12-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Drinking and driving dont mix(if they were). Matt what you saw was horrible, but Law enforncement sees this everyday and then people wonder why they are so tuff. What you saw will stick with you for a while, don't fight your feelings or surpress them, let them out it will help....

Phat Matt
12-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Man tough night. They ever catch the "friends" that ran? Just goes to show how life can change in the blink of an eye. Be safe tonight everyone
There is no way that they could have got away. I think one of the girls was hurt and they ran right in front of the fire truck. If they could get away on foot from where we were, there is no hope.

Havasu Hangin'
12-31-2004, 11:45 AM
sorry Matt, sounds like you did the right thing though.
Be safe guys....
I agree. There was a chance that stopping could have saved someone...it's the right thing to do.
It's just too bad that instead of walking way feeling good about what you did (like changing a lady's tire), you have to leave with that.

Lightning
12-31-2004, 11:48 AM
That's a heavy story man. If you need to talk to someone, feel free to call or whatever. That stuff can end up haunting you for years. Devra's brother had a similar experience 10+ years ago and still has dreams about it once in a while.

Phat Matt
12-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Drinking and driving dont mix(if they were). Matt what you saw was horrible, but Law enforncement sees this everyday and then people wonder why they are so tuff. What you saw will stick with you for a while, don't fight your feelings or surpress them, let them out it will help....
I know. It's like the guy who rolled his car between Desert Center and Parker last July. We had to try and keep that guy alive until Mercy Air or anybody showed up on scene for 45 minutes. That seemed like forever. You just can't shake the images and feelings real quick. I'll be fine.

Phat Matt
12-31-2004, 11:57 AM
I agree. There was a chance that stopping could have saved someone...it's the right thing to do.
It's just too bad that instead of walking way feeling good about what you did (like changing a lady's tire), you have to leave with that.
Those are my thoughts too.

Phat Matt
12-31-2004, 11:58 AM
That's a heavy story man. If you need to talk to someone, feel free to call or whatever. That stuff can end up haunting you for years. Devra's brother had a similar experience 10+ years ago and still has dreams about it once in a while.
Thanks Ari. I'll be cool.

Mrs.Racer277
12-31-2004, 12:02 PM
Wow Matt sorry to hear out the rough night. Way to go on stopping and trying to help out. Hope you have a better night tonight.
And everyone please be safe tonight.

cc322
12-31-2004, 12:04 PM
What you did was very cool to stop and help. On the other hand the two drinks you had could of landed you in a shit load of trouble, this time of year the police are out in force and it just dosent pay to DRINK AND DRIVE period. Alot of people could have a few drinks and fill fine in a few hours, but if you encounter a situation like you did and were subjected to a blood, urine, or breath test you still could have been over the limit, and you would have been hauled off to jail. I am not saying you were impaired but it just dosent pay to take the chance. I just read in the oc register today that a dui will stay on your record for 10 years instead of the 7 years starting in the new.

Second "PLACE"
12-31-2004, 12:05 PM
Sad to hear of a Fatality, but GLAD to hear that YOU did'nt get rolled up last night Matt. I agree with Kilrtoy---Law inforcement/Emergency personnel deal with this all to often, and unfortunately tonite will be no different. Glad to also hear that everyone that tried to "Flee" the scene were aprehended as well.
Let's all be safe tonite and make sure we're around for a great summer on the water. 2nd place.

Phat Matt
12-31-2004, 12:14 PM
What you did was very cool to stop and help. On the other hand the two drinks you had could of landed you in a shit load of trouble, this time of year the police are out in force and it just dosent pay to DRINK AND DRIVE period. Alot of people could have a few drinks and fill fine in a few hours, but if you encounter a situation like you did and were subjected to a blood, urine, or breath test you still could have been over the limit, and you would have been hauled off to jail. I am not saying you were impaired but it just dosent pay to take the chance. I just read in the oc register today that a dui will stay on your record for 10 years instead of the 7 years starting in the new.
Believe me. I thought of that before I pulled over. But if I could have helped someone live and they dinged me for DUI, I would have accepted that. It would have sucked and not seemed fair. But it would have had been worth it to me.

Sportin' Wood
12-31-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks for sharing this story, It might have saved a life tonight.
Be safe out there guys.

cc322
12-31-2004, 12:31 PM
Believe me. I thought of that before I pulled over. But if I could have helped someone live and they dinged me for DUI, I would have accepted that. It would have sucked and not seemed fair. But it would have had been worth it to me.
I hear you Matt, I think you got the right idea tonight to lay low and shoot some pool at your friends, What you saw I'm sure was very tramatic, take it easy and have a good one.

HOOTER SLED-
12-31-2004, 12:32 PM
Scary stuff Matt. You did the right thing man. I wonder if the driver was the one who was ejected??? Why the F would those people flee?? Everyone be safe tonight.

redi4fun
12-31-2004, 12:48 PM
Sorry to hear you had to end the year like that Matt, you did the right thing in stopping. On the bright side you can party dry tonight and watch and remember all your friends stumble around for some laughs. Hell, if I was you I would make the best out of partying sober. In other words get Goldi real juiced up and well you know :idea: :notam: :eek: :) :rollside: :D :sleeping: :D
Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

welk2party
12-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Heavy story. Good job stopping to help.Have a safe and happ new year. Call me on Monday Matt.

Phat Matt
12-31-2004, 01:07 PM
Scary stuff Matt. You did the right thing man. I wonder if the driver was the one who was ejected??? Why the F would those people flee?? Everyone be safe tonight.
I'm thinking he wasn't the driver and who ever the driver was will be charged with man slaughter. Good "friends" eh? :confused:

Sane Asylum
12-31-2004, 01:14 PM
Heavy story. Good job stopping to help.Have a safe and happ new year. Call me on Monday Matt.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn...........Slightly heavy story.... :jawdrop:
Matt, we met briefly at the last ADRIII (the last one where we stopped at willow). Recognized the boat and beautiful wife. You looked like a stand up guy and you just confirmed it....
Thing about all those blessings you have and it'll wipe the bad chit away pretty quickly....
Take care and happy new year.....

cc322
12-31-2004, 01:20 PM
charged with man slaughter.
Vehicular manslaughter, he will be put away for a very long time, or not, if the driver turns himself in they will have a hard time procecuting a dui because he fled no way to test him, but since he left the scene he still would be in a world of hurt, remember the boat accident in parker when the guy fled. I thinkk he got a lighter sentence because they could not prove he was over the alcohol limit. Very sad indeed.

Boozer
12-31-2004, 01:24 PM
Wow Matt! Rough night.
Sorry you didn't save any lives last night but maybe this story being said today will save some lives tonight. I was planning to go to a party with some friends we hadn't planned for a DD and figured we'd worry about it tonight somehow. After reading this I'm go to be the DD. Afterall getting drunk just means a hang over in the morning and I don't feel like spending the new year hung over or DEAD.
Thanks for sharing this unfortunate story with us Matt. Hopefully more of us will make wiser choices tonight after hearing it.

Phat Matt
12-31-2004, 01:40 PM
charged with man slaughter.
Vehicular manslaughter, he will be put away for a very long time, or not, if the driver turns himself in they will have a hard time procecuting a dui because he fled no way to test him, but since he left the scene he still would be in a world of hurt, remember the boat accident in parker when the guy fled. I thinkk he got a lighter sentence because they could not prove he was over the alcohol limit. Very sad indeed.
I am not for sure, but I don't think they got away. They were about 50 yards from us when the cops pulled up. They told the other units where they were headed so I hope they got them. I pointed them out as they crested the hill.

UnionJack
12-31-2004, 01:50 PM
Out in Anahiem acouple of nights ago, a 27 y/o female got into a tc, w/ her boyfriend, she was three times the legal limit, and he was DOA "Decapitation", and after the hospital trip she was charged with manslaughter....
It just sucks

Havasu_Dreamin
12-31-2004, 03:34 PM
What you did was the right thing to do. There is never, ever any need to drink and drive.

24ROD
12-31-2004, 03:45 PM
You for sure did the right thing. The wrong thing would have been if you kept going and didn't stop. Everyone be safe tonight.

Moneypitt
12-31-2004, 04:06 PM
This is just a reminder that "No good deed goes unpunished". Have you been drinking?" or "how much have you had to drink?".......You should've said "If I'd been drinking I certainly wouldn't have called you guys.....and tried to help these people!!!!!"

KACHINA KEN
12-31-2004, 04:54 PM
Jesus

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-31-2004, 05:38 PM
Matt, I'm glad you stopped. The fact that no one else was stopping is pretty scary. That is So Cal for you. Whatever we are doing is more important than anyone else's problems. Obviously that's not the case for you, but you know what I mean. I'm sorry you had to see such a gruesome scene.

Phat Matt
01-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Here's the follow up story from the paper.
Highway 30, I-10 crashes kill two
INLAND: A trucker and another man are arrested. Alcohol played a role, the CHP said.
10:12 PM PST on Friday, December 31, 2004
By JOHN F. BERRY / The Press-Enterprise
A man was burned to death late Thursday after his 1991 Chevrolet Corsica was hit on Highway 30 in San Bernardino by a semi whose driver was suspected of being drunk, the California Highway Patrol reported.
"He hit it with a lot of force," CHP spokesman Ron Seldon said. "The vehicle exploded into flames on impact."
Authorities did not release the name of the 50-year-old San Bernardino man pending notification of his family. He died in one of two alcohol-related fatal crashes in San Bernardino County late Thursday and early Friday, according to the CHP.
In the Highway 30 crash, CHP officials identified the truck driver as David L. Walls, 39, of San Bernardino. He was arrested on suspicion of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and causing injury while driving under the influence in a commercial vehicle. California law considers drivers of commercial vehicles to be under the influence if they have .04 percent or more alcohol in their blood. Private drivers are allowed .08 percent.
Seldon said truckers are professional drivers, and the CHP does not arrest many of them for driving under the influence.
"We don't expect them to be drunk quite as much," Seldon said. "But we take them very seriously because of the vehicle they're driving."
The CHP reported the truck driver failed to stop despite noticing slowing traffic, caused by an earlier crash on eastbound Highway 30 near Valencia Avenue. The truck hit the Corsica, rupturing its gas tank. The car's driver was pronounced dead at the scene after flames were extinguished.
Walls was unhurt in the crash. After it was hit, the Corsica collided with a 2003 Chevrolet S-10. Its driver was reported unhurt.
A second fatal crash, also blamed on alcohol, occurred three hours later on eastbound Interstate 10 in Rialto, CHP officials said.
The driver of a white 1991 Acura with five passengers was approaching the Riverside Avenue exit at 1:59 a.m. Friday when the car swerved to avoid slowing traffic.
The Acura hit a center divider, partially ejecting a rear passenger, Hugo Maldonado Contreras, 20, of Riverside through a rear window, officials said.
Contreras, who was not wearing a safety belt, hit a wooden support with his head and was pronounced dead at the scene.
The CHP reported the driver and the remaining four passengers fled after a witness refused to give them a ride. Rialto police arrested all five at a nearby convenience store at Riverside and Slover avenues.
The driver of the Acura, identified as Ernesto Contreras, 22, of Riverside, was arrested on suspicion of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, along with three other offenses, according to the CHP.
A CHP report said the five suffered minor injuries and were treated at local hospitals. Coroner officials reported all six occupants of the car were related.
Also early Friday, the San Bernardino Police Department stopped 356 vehicles at a sobriety checkpoint at Century Avenue and E Street. A report said 15 people were arrested, including 11 for driving under the influence.

Kilrtoy
01-01-2005, 08:12 PM
matt , did you tell the police how he passed you at MACH 5000 when you were travelling at what ever speed you were doing.....

Phat Matt
01-01-2005, 08:23 PM
matt , did you tell the police how he passed you at MACH 5000 when you were travelling at what ever speed you were doing.....
Yeah.

Kurtis500
01-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Pretty pathectic if all five are related and the four bailed on him. Scumbags.
Matt, the images will always be there, but they will fade on the emotional end. You did the (morally) right thing stopping. He could have needed intervention at that time and you would have been there to help. Good job.
As for the others that didn't stop, do you think they deserve the same when they get into an accident???..hmmm