PDA

View Full Version : Snow chains...

AvengerBabe
12-31-2004, 11:47 AM
Yesterday my boyfriend and I drove up to Big Bear to go snowboarding for the day. Upon reaching Running Springs, we had to put our chains on. I have had cables for my X-Terra since the day I bought it, but haven't used them before. We had no problem putting them on and were back on the road in ten minutes. However, we did notice that every time we accelerated from a stop the tires weren't gripping and the back of the car would slide slightly to the side. Once we reached 15 or 20 mph they worked great and we had no problems. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this before? I think maybe the problem that we had came from the fact that I was using cables instead of the traditional chains. Which ones do you prefer? It was a sucessful and very fun trip, however I would like to avoid the near heart failure that I had every time I felt the car begin to slip on the snow and ice. Any help or suggestions are appreciated! BTW: the conditions are excellent up there so get up there if you have a chance!! ;)

Havasu Hangin'
12-31-2004, 11:51 AM
How tight were they?

hoolign
12-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Alot of those cable type have a big gap in between each rail, the faster you go the faster the next rail grabs the ice, as HH said were they tight enough?

AvengerBabe
12-31-2004, 11:59 AM
yeah, they were really tight and fit very well.

ROZ
12-31-2004, 12:02 PM
really tight and fit very well. :supp: :supp: :supp: :D

Havasu Hangin'
12-31-2004, 12:29 PM
yeah, they were really tight and fit very well.
But what about the chains? :jawdrop:
Please tip your waitresses...I'll be here all week. :D
Like the chain king (hooligan) pointed out, if they were tight (and not slipping), then that's as good as they get. Cable chains are easier on your tires, but it also means you give up some traction.

hoolign
12-31-2004, 12:32 PM
But what about the chains? :jawdrop:
Please tip your waitresses...I'll be here all week. :D
Like the chain king (hooligan) pointed out, if they were tight (and not slipping), then that's as good as they get. Cable chains are easier on your tires, but it also means you give up some traction.
I would be alot happier not knowing this
:(

Havasu Hangin'
12-31-2004, 12:34 PM
I would be alot happier not knowing this
:(
Is there something else you'd rather be "king" of? :idea:

hoolign
12-31-2004, 12:46 PM
Is there something else you'd rather be "king" of? :idea:
Ahhh.."sand"..."sun".."surf"..did I say "sun"....but.. ice??..

Havasu Hangin'
12-31-2004, 12:49 PM
Ahhh.."sand"..."sun".."surf"..did I say "sun"....but.. ice??..
Well then get yer ass down south where it's warm (and where you belong). :hammer2:

hoolign
12-31-2004, 12:52 PM
Well then get yer ass down south where it's warm (and where you belong). :hammer2:
I'm working on it!!
:D

Rexone
12-31-2004, 12:55 PM
my experience is cables work "barely ok" on snow and "not worth a shit" with any ice mixed in. The cables roll.
I use and prefer traditional chains in both conditions.

Dr. Eagle
12-31-2004, 04:11 PM
my experience is cables work "barely ok" on snow and "not worth a shit" with any ice mixed in. The cables roll.
I use and prefer traditional chains in both conditions.
I have used cable chains for years up here in Northen California climbing the passes in winter. They aren't as effective as regular chains, but a hell of a lot easier to put on and a lot easier on the fenders if they get loose.
I think they are a great compromise. Especially if you have 4 wheel drive. They then become the suspenders in the belt and suspenders methodology, in other words, they work well as a backup just in case you need chains with 4 wheel drive (rare). :D

Havasu Hangin'
12-31-2004, 04:13 PM
They then become the suspenders in the belt and suspenders methodology..
You wear a belt and suspenders? :supp:

BarryMac
12-31-2004, 04:29 PM
I have used cable chains for years up here in Northen California climbing the passes in winter. They aren't as effective as regular chains, but a hell of a lot easier to put on and a lot easier on the fenders if they get loose.
I think they are a great compromise. Especially if you have 4 wheel drive. They then become the suspenders in the belt and suspenders methodology, in other words, they work well as a backup just in case you need chains with 4 wheel drive (rare). :D
Yeap, what the good Dr. said, the cables IMO suck, the Chain - Chains are the only way to go...

Formula Dude
12-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Try using some tensioners, pretty cheap and work good with cables. This place has good service and everything you need ---> www.TireChain.com

Tom Brown
12-31-2004, 07:22 PM
Yesterday my boyfriend ...
Smiths - Girlfriend in a comma

hoolign
12-31-2004, 07:25 PM
Brown does not waste an education..as did I

BarryMac
12-31-2004, 07:32 PM
I know, I know it's serious...