PDA

View Full Version : Launchramp Comedy

24ROD
03-30-2002, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure if this topic has been done, or over-done, but Pop and I were wondering if everyone would like to share some of the unique things witnessed on the launchramp. (Mine will mostly be coming from Site 6 in Havasu, but share away!)

Skaterfast
03-31-2002, 10:11 PM
Full fist fight at Havasu Marina 8 years ago,all the way to "oops I forgot it was in reverse and hit the gas to go forward".

Backfire
04-01-2002, 11:21 AM
The funniest thing I ever saw at a launchramp actually didn't turn out to be folly! About 5 years ago, I was at the Havasu marina, and an oriental couple pulled up with just about the biggest boat I'd seen (up to that time) being pulled by a 3/4 ton pickup with a shell. She gets out of the passenger side with a baby no more than 6 months old. I realized that the side of this boat was well over six feet and was wondering how they'd board this thing to launch it when he opens the shell and pulls out an 8 foot ladder. After she climbed up and scrambled in, he climbed up and handed off the baby, then put away the ladder.I was still wondering if this tiny woman would be able to handle such a big boat as he was backing up. (I also was curious what a babyseat for a boat looks like)She handled the twin engines and turned that thing around like a pro and set it gently against the courtesy dock as if she'd done it a thousand times!

Backfire
04-01-2002, 11:39 AM
When my daughter and some of her friends were home from college last labor day, I took them out boating in my 21' v-drive cruiser. Returning to site six, we found a group of about 25 people were sitting in lawn chairs in the shade of McCulloch's old hotel building watching "Launchramp Follies Live". Ten or twelve of them had numbers written on the back of paper plates and were scoring the performances.I gotta brag here that I got mostly "10s" for my performance, but the reviews were mixed regarding my exit from the water. Site six's ramp drops at such a severe angle from where your tow vehicle is that the rear axle on my trailer hangs as my dually is trying to pull my 5000# boat up this steep incline which unloads the tongue weight completely. As the crowd was choking on my first burnout, I backed down almost to the water, got out and emptied two cans of cleanser in my pathway and solicited volunteers to add their weight to my dually. As soon as the cleanser cleaned and dried the ramp and my tires, the thing walked right out! By that ime though, I'd completely smoked the place out again!

24RODjr
04-01-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Backfire:
When my daughter and some of her friends were home from college last labor day, I took them out boating in my 21' v-drive cruiser. Returning to site six, we found a group of about 25 people were sitting in lawn chairs in the shade of McCulloch's old hotel building watching "Launchramp Follies Live". Ten or twelve of them had numbers written on the back of paper plates and were scoring the performances.I gotta brag here that I got mostly "10s" for my performance, but the reviews were mixed regarding my exit from the water. Site six's ramp drops at such a severe angle from where your tow vehicle is that the rear axle on my trailer hangs as my dually is trying to pull my 5000# boat up this steep incline which unloads the tongue weight completely. As the crowd was choking on my first burnout, I backed down almost to the water, got out and emptied two cans of cleanser in my pathway and solicited volunteers to add their weight to my dually. As soon as the cleanser cleaned and dried the ramp and my tires, the thing walked right out! By that ime though, I'd completely smoked the place out again!
*cough cough* I think I was there...*cough cough*
;-)

modvptnl
04-01-2002, 02:22 PM
This idiot who was used to a cookie cutter 4 Winns and Castaic's ramp when launching would undo the bow hook and back the boat down the ramp, into the water and off the trailer while wifey would fire it up.
Said idiot in '89 buys 502 powered 26' Nordic dream boat direct from Orville. On maiden voyage idiot unhooks bow hook, starts to backup and watches boat slide off trailer. I'm...er.... the idiot's thinking the water can't be that close. It wasn't. 26' of shiney, brand new Nordic resting on a bravo nose cone on Havasu's finest asphalt/concrete.
[This message has been edited by modvptnl (edited April 01, 2002).]