PDA

View Full Version : 200 efi

framer1
12-31-2004, 06:28 PM
My brother- laws 200efi threw a rod last week for no apparent reason. He always kept it serviced it only had about 200 hrs, it's a 99. It's on a Bass boat so he's doesn't really hot rod it. Has anybody heard of other people that has had this problem. When it blew he was only going about 40mph. Thanks

wideopen23
01-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Does he still have the oil injection hooked up? You might want to check there. I know these go out quit abit.

Forkin' Crazy
01-01-2005, 06:14 PM
There aren't but a few things that cause a rod to fail. Mechanically, such as the bolts coming loose, or it breaking some where because of stress- i.e. too many rpms, a sudden stop- a piston seizure stopping the upper end of the rod, while inertia continues to keep the crank and other reciprocating parts spinning. The other being an internal defect of the rod itself, which seems kind of rare.
I would guess it stuck a piston from no oil, as mentioned above, lean mixture, or over heating, all of which would seize a piston in its bore.

Blacksheep
01-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Framer,
I had a similar instance back in 97 with a 94 200 EFI as well. It was on a 20 ft bass boat doing about 55-60 mph though. Flying across the water, mid October in Indiana, no one on the lake, and poof...motor sputtered a couple of times and then just died. It wouldn't start and I had to use the trolling motor to get home. Several hours later in the dark made it back to the house.
I took it back to the dealer where I bought the motor and they spent several weeks with Mercury trying to figure out what happened. The Mercury tech at the dealer used to train technicians for Mercury.
When it was all said and done, it turned out to be an internal defect (rod). There seem to be some small (microscopic) stress factures in the rod that finally broke. They found similar stress fractures in the other remaining rods. The diagnostics and computers all said everything was working normally at the time. My tech worked with Mercury to replace the powerhead at no cost to me.

framer1
01-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Framer,
I had a similar instance back in 97 with a 94 200 EFI as well. It was on a 20 ft bass boat doing about 55-60 mph though. Flying across the water, mid October in Indiana, no one on the lake, and poof...motor sputtered a couple of times and then just died. It wouldn't start and I had to use the trolling motor to get home. Several hours later in the dark made it back to the house.
I took it back to the dealer where I bought the motor and they spent several weeks with Mercury trying to figure out what happened. The Mercury tech at the dealer used to train technicians for Mercury.
When it was all said and done, it turned out to be an internal defect (rod). There seem to be some small (microscopic) stress factures in the rod that finally broke. They found similar stress fractures in the other remaining rods. The diagnostics and computers all said everything was working normally at the time. My tech worked with Mercury to replace the powerhead at no cost to me.
Thanks, I will forward info to brother-in law. I think he has already ordered a 200 opti-max for replacement. The piston cracked the block. It's costing him around fourteen thousand :2purples:

Forkin' Crazy
01-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks, I will forward info to brother-in law. I think he has already ordered a 200 opti-max for replacement. The piston cracked the block. It's costing him around fourteen thousand :2purples:
Jeeze, he could get 3 or 4 drop ons for that.....
Carry an extra compressor belt for the opti. It breaks and you're dead in the water!

framer1
01-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Jeeze, he could get 3 or 4 drop ons for that.....
Carry an extra compressor belt for the opti. It breaks and you're dead in the water!
:confused:

Forkin' Crazy
01-02-2005, 02:16 PM
A drop on is a complete power head. Complete means fuel system, ignition, etc.
The optimax is a DFI engine (direct fuel injection) and uses an aircompresser to inject the fuel. The aircompresser is belt driven. Lose the belt, and lose all power.

framer1
01-02-2005, 03:07 PM
A drop on is a complete power head. Complete means fuel system, ignition, etc.
The optimax is a DFI engine (direct fuel injection) and uses an aircompresser to inject the fuel. The aircompresser is belt driven. Lose the belt, and lose all power.
Isn't the Optimax allowed on more waterways than the old efi because of new pollution laws. Thanks for the info I will pass on to bro-in-law.

Forkin' Crazy
01-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Yea, depending on where you are, some lakes only allow 4 stroke or '06 compliant 2 strokes. Merc and Bombardier have had problems with their DFI motors. I think both have 'em lined out now.
Also Yamaha has come out with their version of a DFI motor. Knowing Yamaha, they waited for Merc or Bombardier to perfect the technology, so they could copy what works the best... :hammerhea