PDA

View Full Version : 50's Furniture

Wet Dream
01-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Is there a market for this stuff or should I burn it as planned? This was my grandmothers and I just can't hang on to it anymore. I'm tired of putting it in different places. I hate to get rid of it for the sentimental reasons, but its sooooooooo 50's. I can't actually put a date on it, but with the metal square legs, I'm thinking its from that era. Printed inside the silverware drawer is "permanized MENGEL Furniture". The wood is mahogony. A search comes up with print ads from 1946-1954, but thats it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/352Mvc-240s.jpg

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Is it solid wood? A lot of people have the "retro" look in their house, like the red ditchen tables and the plastic living room furniture that made the 50's the "modern" era. It looks like it would be a nce piece if it was touched up and the small dings and scratches were removed. If nothing else, call the Salvation Army or another charity and they will even come pick it up for you and then you get a write off. If you burn it, it will smoke like crazy because of the varnish on it.

Wet Dream
01-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Yes, its definately solid wood. There is nothing on it that could possibly be laminate or cheap particle board. Even the backing appears to be cedar or mahogony.

sanger rat
01-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Some of that stuff is worth big bucks. Put it on Ebay. Check this place out. http://www.atomicwarehouse.com/merchandise.cfm?categoryid=6

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Someone buy that cowboy chair for me! I love it and it would look so cool in my house!

91nordic29
01-01-2005, 05:40 PM
definitely an ebay item. if you were closer, i'd think of buying it myself

LUVNLIFE
01-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Might as well make some cash. I'm sure someone would pick it up.Some people like to fix up old furniture like we fix up old boats. Go figure :D

Mrs.Racer277
01-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Might as well make some cash. I'm sure someone would pick it up.Some people like to fix up old furniture like we fix up old boats. Go figure :D
Better not let the wife see it. :D :D