PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of the new CA laws...

burtandnancy
01-02-2005, 07:02 PM
How many of you (or your friends) will be drilling holes in the front of their Corvettes and installing the license plate?

phebus
01-02-2005, 08:56 PM
I thought that it has been a law in Ca. that you had to have both front and rear license plates. It's new?

Badger301
01-02-2005, 08:58 PM
I thought that it has been a law in Ca. that you had to have both front and rear license plates. It's new?
I thought the same.....maybe it was only enforced if you had mounting holes for the plate.

Moneypitt
01-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Its not new, and they do enforce it. Its kinda like the stuff hanging from your mirror, or your trailer ball partically obscuring you rear plate, or your hitch in the reciever without a trailer behind you, or tint (any) on your front side windows, or those "white bright" headlights.......Its just a reason to stop you. If you're all legit, no booze breath, w/ license, reg, proof of insurance, no contraband in the vehicle, no firearms etc. etc. Then they may write you for the missing plate, or any of the other mentioned reasons to stop you in the first place. No front plate in Cali is like baiting the cops to go fishing, at your expense. And very few people can say that a traffic stop for anything didn't cost them something...........MP

phebus
01-02-2005, 09:37 PM
I was told they were going to a stricter enforcement of the front license plate law do to the camera's they are using to cite for red light violations. That, and for toll road violations.

upsman105
01-02-2005, 09:41 PM
I was told they were going to a stricter enforcement of the front license plate law do to the camera's they are using to cite for red light violations. That, and for toll road violations.
you don't have to drill a hole they have a plate that comes out and is replaced by the license plate....I gues that means mine will be a lot prettier that kilrtoy's.....ha ha ha :D :D

phebus
01-02-2005, 09:45 PM
I also heard a new law that if your driving in the rain, and have your windshield wipers on full time, you are required to have your head lights on. Daytime running lights don't qualify, must be your headlights.
Makes sense to me, allready do it.

XtrmWakeborder
01-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Its not new, and they do enforce it. Its kinda like the stuff hanging from your mirror, or your trailer ball partically obscuring you rear plate, or your hitch in the reciever without a trailer behind you, or tint (any) on your front side windows, or those "white bright" headlights.......Its just a reason to stop you. If you're all legit, no booze breath, w/ license, reg, proof of insurance, no contraband in the vehicle, no firearms etc. etc. Then they may write you for the missing plate, or any of the other mentioned reasons to stop you in the first place. No front plate in Cali is like baiting the cops to go fishing, at your expense. And very few people can say that a traffic stop for anything didn't cost them something...........MP
VERY TRUE.....i know from experience. If they pull yah over for something and find out its legit "ex. me not having tags on my plate because i bought the vehicle 3 days earlier, and i had temps on my front winshield." then they start to go looking. I got no front plate fix it, and tint fix it plus 88 dollars. I love motorcycle cops.

Brooski
01-02-2005, 09:50 PM
I also heard a new law that if your driving in the rain, and have your windshield wipers on full time, you are required to have your head lights on. Daytime running lights don't qualify, must be your headlights.
I read in AAA magazine yesterday that is a new law, but it didnt say anything about using headlights instead of daytime running lights. Good safety measure to me also.

Forkin' Crazy
01-02-2005, 11:00 PM
or your hitch in the reciever without a trailer behind you
For real? WTF! They would go nutz here!!! :boxed:

JetBoatRich
01-03-2005, 07:32 AM
I was thinking the same thing :confused:

diggler
01-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Is this true? I've been driving around with my trailer hitch forever in California!

Jbb
01-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Sounds like the place to be..... :supp:

BarryMac
01-03-2005, 07:36 AM
having a front plate has been a law for a long time, got a fix it ticket for not having one when I was in HS, nearly 20 years ago... :2purples:

JustMVG
01-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by phebus
I read in AAA magazine yesterday that is a new law, but it didnt say anything about using headlights instead of daytime running lights. Good safety measure to me also
You have to put them on when there is rain, and or visibility less than 1000 ft.
MikeVG

RiverDave
01-03-2005, 09:37 AM
I am stoked that we are constantly making new laws to protect our citizens from themselves, and constantly generate more revenue. :) Just makes me feel.... what's the word I'm searching for here? Oh "free."
RD

Jbb
01-03-2005, 09:48 AM
I am stoked that we are constantly making new laws to protect our citizens from themselves, and constantly generate more revenue. :) Just makes me feel.... what's the word I'm searching for here? Oh "free."
RD
Remember Lil Mr...One in front....and one in back...... :smile:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860license_20031107174952_68847.jpg

Moneypitt
01-03-2005, 05:19 PM
It seems the insurance industry has struck again. The trailer hitch in the reciever reduces the effect of the slow speed "bounce off" plastic bumpers. If someone rear ends you, the hitch will find its way through the bumper, grill, and radiator, or into the cars hood if your truck is raised. So once again, the person driving stupid needs protection, and the insurance companys have alot of clout with our "elected officals".....Just another stupid law to add to the thousands on the books.....AND another reason to stop you in LE fishing expeditions. If you look closly, you will find that exiting you vehicle on the "street" side is also illegal......So that if a car smacks your open door, its YOUR fault........If a car is seriously damaged by your trailer hitch, the insurance co. can say you have illegal equipment........and screw you........MP

Kilrtoy
01-03-2005, 05:24 PM
It seems the insurance industry has struck again. The trailer hitch in the reciever reduces the effect of the slow speed "bounce off" plastic bumpers. If someone rear ends you, the hitch will find its way through the bumper, grill, and radiator, or into the cars hood if your truck is raised. So once again, the person driving stupid needs protection, and the insurance companys have alot of clout with our "elected officals".....Just another stupid law to add to the thousands on the books.....AND another reason to stop you in LE fishing expeditions. If you look closly, you will find that exiting you vehicle on the "street" side is also illegal......So that if a car smacks your open door, its YOUR fault........If a car is seriously damaged by your trailer hitch, the insurance co. can say you have illegal equipment........and screw you........MP
Can you please qoute this law you speak of...... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Brooski
01-03-2005, 05:46 PM
I've been looking, and cant find it.

LilHarley
01-03-2005, 05:49 PM
I thought the law as far exiting on the street side was"when it is safe to do so", not a blanket never exit on the street side.... :mad:

Brooski
01-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Just read up on the license plate law, which doesnt take effect until the end of summer. All the new law says is that new vehicles being sold by dealers must have a front license plate bracket.

Moneypitt
01-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Isn't that the same thing? If it was safe your door would still be on the car. I no longer have a DMV code book, but I'll pick one up and see if I can find the code about the drivers side exits. But either way, if your door gets clipped, its your fault. The trailer hitch deal was last July I think. CVDCA newsletter brought it up as a warning to the members....MP

voodoomedman
01-03-2005, 06:05 PM
It's always been law in California but rarely enforced. Depends on the cop and the day. I don't have a front one on my truck. I have a Aerosmith license plate on their. It's black and looks nothing like a Cali plate. I have never gotten a ticket. Even the CHP who gave me a fix it for my flame window tint on the front did not write me up for that one. And I know he saw it because that's where they bounce the radar beam off of.

LilHarley
01-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Isn't that the same thing? If it was safe your door would still be on the car. I no longer have a DMV code book, but I'll pick one up and see if I can find the code about the drivers side exits. But either way, if your door gets clipped, its your fault. The trailer hitch deal was last July I think. CVDCA newsletter brought it up as a warning to the members....MP
Well, it's not exactly the same. To say you can't exit on the street side any time is a little over kill. If you are dumb enough to blindly open his door on the street side and it gets clipped, sounds like it's his fault for being a dumb $hit ... LOL. :p

WUTWZAT
01-03-2005, 06:15 PM
That is why I leave my trailer hitch in the receiver. To keep the stupid ass that rear ends me that much further from my rear bumper, a crumple zone so to speak for their car.
I can't tell you how many times some idiots car has lurched forward and tapped my hitch. And how if it wasn't for that hitch, these people would be paying out big bucks for every little ding they would have put in my bumper. But with the hitch they get to so, oh my bad...... Only damage is to my car.... Sorry....
Or how about when they mess up or bumper and your cool RiverDave hitch cover..... Who is going to pay for that?
Jason

Boatcop
01-03-2005, 06:33 PM
The trailer hitch deal only applies if the ball blocks the rear license plate. It falls under the "Obscured License Tag" category.
As far as the front plate, it's always been a law in California, and also applies to out of state vehicles IF the State issues 2 license plates.
Arizona used to require 2 plates, but since it was rarely cited, and used mainly to form PC to stop and check for other things, the Arizona legislature did away with it. I was stopped many years ago in California for not having a front plate, and the cop didn't believe me when I told him Arizona didn't require one. I finally demanded he check with a Supervisor. The Sgt came down and after about a 20 minute "discussion" on the subject, they told me they'd check on it for me, and if I was BSing them, they'd send me a cite in the mail, and a summons for providing false information. (I wasn't a cop then) Of course, I never heard from them.
It also cuts costs by only making one plate. With the millions of cars newly registered in California every year, deleting the front plate could result in several million dollars in savings every year for the bankrupt State. Even if they're made by inmate labor. Not to mention the electricty, natural resouces, hazardous materials (paint) etc. savings that would result. You'd think that the liberal bunch of goons in Sacramento would clasp hands, sing Kum-By-Aa and brag about how responsible they are by doing away with the front plate.

Boatcop
01-03-2005, 06:35 PM
And I know he saw it because that's where they bounce the radar beam off of.
Radar signals off the car, the license plate has nothing to do with it.

Jbb
01-03-2005, 06:37 PM
You guys need to get that law repealed.....so I can flood the market with custom Team Jbb tags...... :p
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DSCF0010tg.JPG

Moneypitt
01-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Boatcop, I hate to even think about doubting you conserning anything about the law, But the obscured plate deal has been around a long, long time. Primarily with step bumpers and trailer balls right behind the plate. This new deal is aimed at the slide in deals that hang out beyond the rear bumper and do alot of damage to the front of another vehicle, even in a low speed crash. The information I read was from the CVDCA, and stated plainly the hitch must be removed if you are not towing at that exact moment. Most hitches drop quite away from the license plate. I will try to find the CVC # and post it tomorrow..............MP

Kilrtoy
01-03-2005, 07:40 PM
What the hell is the
CVCDA
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Moneypitt
01-03-2005, 07:59 PM
CVDCA.........Classic V drive club of America......I think I had it right the first time..........MP

voodoomedman
01-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Radar signals off the car, the license plate has nothing to do with it.
My bad. I know it bounces off the car. I just thought that is a common spot where they are aimed. Especially since they are reflective.

voodoomedman
01-03-2005, 08:54 PM
You guys need to get that law repealed.....so I can flood the market with custom Team Jbb tags...... :p
Dude that is sooo bad a$$. How much for one of them?

LilHarley
01-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .... do you make these? .... :D

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2005, 09:06 PM
RD
I particularly found the law that REQUIRES you to drive with the windshiled wipers and headlights on in the rain entertaining.
There are a whole bunch of good examples of why we don't need a full time legislature ANY MORE. All they can dream up are a bunch of NANNY laws!!!!!!! Thank god they are there to protect us from ourselves...... :hammerhea

uvindex
01-03-2005, 09:27 PM
AAA has prepared a digest of the vehicle code laws that went into effect on January 1 2005 at http://www.csaa.com/docs/aboutaaa/2004_legislative_digest.pdf. I've looked for some of the laws discussed in this thread, and here's what I found:
(1) As somebody else said, the new front license plate law just says that manufacturers and dealers can't sell cars without a front plate bracket (and as others have said, California has required cars to have a front plate for a long time -- the difference here is that the dealers and manufacturers are being required to include a bracket).
(2) Couldn't find any mention of a new law about keeping your trailer hitch in the receiver all the time (subject to the obscured plate stuff already discussed that's been in the vehicle code for a long time).
(3) Couldn't find any mention of a new law about exiting on the street side.
(4) The new headlights law doesn't require you to use wipers, it requires that you use headlights if the weather requires your wipers to be on continuously.
Happy driving. :boxed:

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2005, 09:32 PM
(4) The new headlights law doesn't require you to use wipers, it requires that you use headlights if the weather requires your wipers to be on continuously.
Your point? It is still a STUPID RIDICULOUS waste of time, money and law enforcement.AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :messedup:

uvindex
01-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Your point? It is still a STUPID RIDICULOUS waste of time, money and law enforcement.AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :messedup:I wasn't making a point, I was providing a reference so that anyone who's interested can see for themselves what the new laws are, since obviously some people are confused about them.

Kilrtoy
01-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Ok you guys tried hard to find it, here it is
22517. No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless it is reasonably safe to do so and can be done without interfering with the movement of such traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open upon the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2005, 10:02 PM
I wasn't making a point, I was providing a reference so that anyone who's interested can see for themselves what the new laws are, since obviously some people are confused about them.
I know, this state legislature is just a hot button with me... they have to protect their phoney bologna jobs after all! :)

Brooski
01-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Ok you guys tried hard to find it, here it is
22517. No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless it is reasonably safe to do so and can be done without interfering with the movement of such traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open upon the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.
That is not a new law, that has been on the books for a long time. It basically goes along with the other requirements that you cannot obstruct the normal flow of traffic.

Brooski
01-03-2005, 10:14 PM
AAA has prepared a digest of the vehicle code laws that went into effect on January 1 2005 at http://www.csaa.com/docs/aboutaaa/2004_legislative_digest.pdf. I've looked for some of the laws discussed in this thread, and here's what I found:
(1) As somebody else said, the new front license plate law just says that manufacturers and dealers can't sell cars without a front plate bracket (and as others have said, California has required cars to have a front plate for a long time -- the difference here is that the dealers and manufacturers are being required to include a bracket).
(2) Couldn't find any mention of a new law about keeping your trailer hitch in the receiver all the time (subject to the obscured plate stuff already discussed that's been in the vehicle code for a long time).
(3) Couldn't find any mention of a new law about exiting on the street side.
Thanks for the clarification.. :boxed:

dc96819
01-03-2005, 10:19 PM
I got pulled over for no front plate and they searched my car,also been pulled over many times for no reason. :hammerhea

WUTWZAT
01-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I recently went to the DMV here in California, and had my vanity plates yes WUTWZAT assigned to my latest truck. When I brought the plate in the asked where the other was, I told them it was lost or destroyed. They didn't require that I get another plate issued. Only if both plates were lost, I would have to choose something else because someone could be driving around on both my other plates. If this is such a violation don't you think the DMV should be more proactive in keeping cars on the street legal.
Jason

Kilrtoy
01-03-2005, 10:41 PM
I got pulled over for no front plate and they searched my car,also been pulled over many times for no reason. :hammerhea
Really , would love to hear about these violations committed AGAINST YOU

Jbb
01-04-2005, 06:55 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/860DSCF0052-med.JPG Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .... do you make these? .... :D
I've made a couple.... :D

Huckleberry
01-04-2005, 07:02 AM
Okay, I'll stir the pot a bit on the headlight/wiper issue. The new law say ya gotta have the lights on "if the weather requires your wipers to be on continuously." Just what constitutes "on continuously?" What if a driver has his wipers on intermittent? Is that on continuously? Most drivers put their headlights on when it rains anyways. Now if we could just get folks to slow down and put some extra space between each other when its raining.
Here's the bottom line on this one guys...I worked traffic for many years, and when it is raining, most cops are busy taking accident reports from the idiots who don't know how to drive in the rain. When they're not doing that, the last thing they want to do is drive around in the pouring rain and look for a ticket to write, so they can stand in the rain some more. All of the guys I work with laugh at this new law. The joke is who is gonna be the first moron to actually stand out in the downpour to write one of these tickets. If we're gonna get wet, the ticket better be something that actually "prevents" accidents, like driving too fast for the prevailing conditions.

ahhell
01-04-2005, 07:18 AM
lets ask mr traffic.....
this site helps a littleMr. Traffic (http://www.mrtraffic.com/2005.htm)

uvindex
01-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Most drivers put their headlights on when it rains anyways.You said it: "most". :) Unfortunately, some dimbulbs out there don't realize that turning on their headlights during the rain isn't to help see but to BE SEEN. The "most drivers" you mention won't be affected by the law. The goofballs driving with no headlights on (when they should have them on) will be affected.
Happy driving. :)

phebus
01-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Okay, I'll stir the pot a bit on the headlight/wiper issue. The new law say ya gotta have the lights on "if the weather requires your wipers to be on continuously." Just what constitutes "on continuously?" What if a driver has his wipers on intermittent? Is that on continuously? Most drivers put their headlights on when it rains anyways. Now if we could just get folks to slow down and put some extra space between each other when its raining.
Here's the bottom line on this one guys...I worked traffic for many years, and when it is raining, most cops are busy taking accident reports from the idiots who don't know how to drive in the rain. When they're not doing that, the last thing they want to do is drive around in the pouring rain and look for a ticket to write, so they can stand in the rain some more. All of the guys I work with laugh at this new law. The joke is who is gonna be the first moron to actually stand out in the downpour to write one of these tickets. If we're gonna get wet, the ticket better be something that actually "prevents" accidents, like driving too fast for the prevailing conditions.
I would think of the new law as more of a liability issue, rather than a ticketable offense. If you are in an accident in the rain, and failed to have your lights on, will it be noted on the accident report? And, would you be cited? If so I wonder what the impact as far as liability and insurance issues will be? (again, I drive with my lights on in the rain, just wondering about the impact of some of the new laws)