Ski Flat - Tony Scarlatta - 7.66 E.T.
Willis

UBFJ #454
01-03-2005, 06:39 PM
"Congratulations to new record holders
Comp Flat - Michael Jewell - 7.53 E.T.
UBFJ - Jerry Hicks - 7.53 E.T.
Ski Flat - Tony Scarlatta - 7.66 E.T."
OoH NOo Mr. BILL ... A 'Jet' Faster Than A 'Prop' ... A Flattie No Less ... And, By 0.13 Seconds ... What Will Dey, The Jet Boys, Think of Next?
Maybe Pedals in "Hot Tub" Boats Would Slow Jerry Down By a Tenth or So?
Just Kidding ... Congratulations To ALL!

superdave013
01-03-2005, 07:06 PM
comparing an Unblown Fuel Jet to a Ski Flat is like comparing Pro Mod to Super Street. :messedup:
Now it looks like that Comp Flat was right there though. :D No nitrous on that one and I do think the 470" limit is still in effect. :boxingguy

MikeF
01-03-2005, 08:00 PM
comparing an Unblown Fuel Jet to a Ski Flat is like comparing Pro Mod to Super Street. :messedup:
Now it looks like that Comp Flat was right there though. :D No nitrous on that one and I do think the 470" limit is still in effect. :boxingguy
Yeah, but, that impeller is only turning about 7K rpm. That prop is spinning over 11K. :jawdrop:

Just-Jettin
01-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Congrats to the new record holders. But it sure stinks when our records get retired after two years (NJBA retarded rule). The old comp flat record was 7.39 set in May of 2002 and then is re-set with a 7.53 this year. Same thing goes for our PGF mph record, use to be 147 mph set in Sept of 2001, and now is 144 mph re-set last year.
I have no idea why NJBA retires et and mph records after 2 years, I just dont see the logic behind this rule. I could understand if the course was altered in length or something, but in order to have a record you should have to beat the old one first.
I talked to the Pres of NJBA Rodger Roadstrom about this issue, and he didnt even know that NJBA had this rule. He said he would bring it up at the next board meeting.
Probably have to make a few races in 05' to get them records back. That 145mph rule should be interesting to deal with thats forsure.

UBFJ #454
01-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Since "Hot Tub" & The "Black Mamba" were Pitted Next To Each Other ... And Ran Against Each Other ... Both On Jerry's Getting The 'Leg Up' On The Record (7.56) ... And Getting The Record (7.53) ... I Can Attest To The Fact That There Was Absolutely No n2o On Board "Hot Tub" During Either Run ... Believe Me ... We Looked Closely ...
What Jerry, Et Al, Did ... He (& Nancy), Ebbert, McClure and the Others ... WAS DONE ON GAS ALONE ...
Any One Want To Run Him With The Bottle In "Hot Tub"? ... "Hot Tub" Is Just One Damn FAST BOAT & Jerry Hicks Is Just One Simply Said ... Darned Good DRIVER ...
P.S.: I'm 60 ... Jerry's Got At Least 10 On Me ... "How Old" Are You & How Consistently Quick/Fast Are You???

Just-Jettin
01-03-2005, 08:43 PM
I would love to run Jerry with the bottle in his boat, along with the 100 inches Iam giving up including the big blue bottle. We have raced many times over the years, and yes he is a very good driver. But I will go out on a limb and say he will be on the losing side of this race.

superdave013
01-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Probably have to make a few races in 05' to get them records back. That 145mph rule should be interesting to deal with thats forsure.
Jeff, now that would be cool to see. :D
Bear, I have nothing but respect for Hicks and the Hot Tub boat. As much as I'm into v drives I always root for Hicks in the shootout. The fact that he can run with the alki hydros in 1,000' is just bad ass.

BGMAN203
01-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah, but, that impeller is only turning about 7K rpm. That prop is spinning over 11K. :jawdrop:
Well what are you complaining for?? Turn you impeller 11k! :)

Jetboatguru
01-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Jeff, you just hate seeing things like this don't you.
:frown:

Just-Jettin
01-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Tony, Hank Arron had to beat Babe Ruth's record if the history books dont lie.

77charger
01-03-2005, 09:50 PM
"Congratulations to new record holders
Comp Flat - Michael Jewell - 7.53 E.T.
UBFJ - Jerry Hicks - 7.53 E.T.
Ski Flat - Tony Scarlatta - 7.66 E.T."
OoH NOo Mr. BILL ... A 'Jet' Faster Than A 'Prop' ... A Flattie No Less ... And, By 0.13 Seconds ... What Will Dey, The Jet Boys, Think of Next?
Maybe Pedals in "Hot Tub" Boats Would Slow Jerry Down By a Tenth or So?
Just Kidding ... Congratulations To ALL!
lets just add more cubes to the ski flat and lots of noss i bet it wouldnt compare .Btw aint pro gas flats runnin in the 6s or very low 7s(jeff martin ran a 6.98 at 153 last november)with a 500 inch motor all N/A didnt see the last part :idea: but i agree jerry hicks for his age is like watching superman 70plus and still going strong

UBFJ #454
01-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Hell ... "For His Age" ... He Used To Beat The Pants Off Of You Guys !0 Years Ago.

UBFJ #454
01-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Tony -
Know of a TAF Driver that might Be able to 'Learn' how to drive W/O an 'Up' Pedal and No 'Big Wing' ... Might have a "National Ride" ... BAE6 Required and Time/Money To Campaign. Interested, or, know who might be ... No BS Crew Forming ...

Jetboatguru
01-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Bear, the TAF with no up pedal is not new. We have never run an up pedal. The purpose behind it is to keep the plate from sucking down at high speeds. The way you counter that problem is to run stout springs to keep the plates from sucking down.
I watched the first boat that Bobby Hewitt brought out to Waco when Jerry Davis ran it. It was interesting to se the ideas that went into it, but the boat did not go out and set the world on fire. I realize that Jerry was coming off of a crash but it just didn't seem to do anything notable. Maybe with more power it might. I am interested to see how the the little canard wings work. Are you saying that you have a BAE6 and money to campaign? Or the driver must bring a BAE6 and money campaign?

Jetboatguru
01-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Jeff to comapare the ALL time Home run Record of Hank AAron to NJBA boat racing is not comparing apples to apples. You are talking about an achievement over years and years. An accumulation of HRs. You can go out to NJBA one race and set a record. You know as well as I do that the NJBA throws up bogus #s especially at the end of the year when the weather is great. I am not saying the #'s you put up were hot. The IHBA PGF record that I have needs to be retired because nobody can break it in an open boat. It was set before the 7.70 rule.

mj680
01-04-2005, 03:31 PM
I think it took Aaron 5 years longer to break Babe's record.

Just-Jettin
01-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Tony, just like I stated in my original post, records should only be retired if something has changed in that certain class, or length of track, starting line distance etc. etc. etc. Soooooo, yes your record doesnt hold water in IHBA due to the 7.70 rule impossed in 2001.
On the other hand the NJBA retired record rule after 2 years or only have to run with a certain % of the existing record in order to reset it after 2 years doesnt make sense IMO. It would be a shallow record knowing the new record is slower than the old one with us. So these people can enjoy them while they have them, and we will just make sure we only run our deal only in June July and August in 05' when the weather isnt to our advantage and see how we stack up, no problem.
Next time I will try to use a better example to try to make my point when it comes to setting Drag Boat Racing speed and et records, but I know you got the point loud and clear.

Jetboatguru
01-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Dude, it is boat racing!! This means less than nothing other than having fun and racing a boat. If records mean that much to you than I understand where you are coming from. Other than that, it is a club with a clique of board members, a start line and a finish line. I personally find the fun to be at night after the racing shuts down.

Just-Jettin
01-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Thats pretty funny coming from you. You telling me its ONLY boat racing, I have just about heard it all now, you crack me up.

Jetboatguru
01-04-2005, 07:52 PM
I am not the one screaming about records in here. I am the one laughing at you worried about Michael Jewell breaking your record. It's all good Jeff.

JustFartin
01-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Why do they reset records after 2 years? Mike Jewells new record is not even close to what Flat Nasty ran. Why is it that no one can come close to the Flat Nasty's "OLD" records? Were they just that good? They even won all the drinking and pooping contests.
"JEFF MARTIN, WORLDS BEST FLAT BOTTOM DRIVER

bp
01-06-2005, 03:16 PM
i agree with jeff. i think the "reset the record" thing sucks the big one.
my thinking is that someone spent time, money and effort (sometimes a lot) to achieve that record even though it was "fun" (for tony ;) ). somebody else needs to spend the time money and effort (maybe more) to break it. a couple of years going by isn't the same thing.
willis, please make this one more dumb rule go away???

Jetboatguru
01-06-2005, 07:59 PM
I see the Putz of the family has shown up!!
Yeah he was great With Watson's motor on Sunday!!

racingfastflats
01-07-2005, 03:03 AM
Just like the Steve Schmidt motor in the Abyss. Now is that any different

Jetboatguru
01-07-2005, 07:21 AM
It was admittedly a Steve Schmidt 500 inch motor. It was not portrayed as a 470 that was being run as a Pro Gas motor.
Craig and the rest of the 146 team and Shaun were all adamant that it was was CRAIG's 470. The second it fired up I told Shaun that is not Craig's motor. I know the sound of a Watson motor. Shaun still denied it until Saturday night. We would have loved to race.

JustFartin
01-07-2005, 08:54 AM
I'm surprised you know how to spell PUTZ. Good to be back I must say. Its just too bad that Jeff sold all of his stuff (boat, motor, etc). I guess I would stop too if there wasn't any competition. On another note, everyone should come out to Anaheim this weekend and support Jeff, he is racing privatere (spelling?) in the 250cc class. Lets see if he has anything for Bubba or Ricky. I have a suite out there if anyone wants to show up. I have room for 10 more people. Email me if your interested.