PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Predictions

dirty old man
01-03-2005, 09:23 AM
As an experienced, dirty old man, I'm going out on a limb and suggesting some of the following will happen concerning mufflers in '05: All the muffler and tip add on guys will do well with stockers such as with the 496's. Guys with after market motors such as Pfaff, Teagues, Pito, Zuls, etc, will experience some difficulties. Some will meet the dB requirements at the cost of 8 - 10 MPH. Some will only loose 1 - 3 MPH and won't make dB level. Some will fail both tests badly. Some of us will get to the lake with thousands of dollars worth of muffler and still get busted. Worst of all, some boat owners with exotic after market motors will experience the dreaded reversion problem. Thats going to be expensive

superdave013
01-03-2005, 09:40 AM
you're prolly right.
You did leave out one group. The ones who won't do anything and come back crying that they got this "unfair" ticket and it sucks.

burtandnancy
01-03-2005, 03:24 PM
superdave, anyone done a dB test on your turbo motor?

CrazyHippy
01-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Shoulda bought something w/ a Boat motor, not a converted truck motor :p
BJH :cool:

TRG
01-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Shoulda bought something w/ a Boat motor, not a converted truck motor :p
BJH :cool:
easy there pal!
not all of us are fisherman! :p

CrazyHippy
01-03-2005, 08:27 PM
And not all of us being harrassed about noise.... Hmmmm
:rollside: BJH :rollside:

DogHouse
01-03-2005, 08:33 PM
And not all of us being harrassed about noise.... Hmmmm
:rollside: BJH :rollside:
Yeah, like the "angry outboards" are soooooo quiet... Right! You guys with the jack plates and 2-stroke exhaust above waterline are even more obnoxious than a hipo car motor! Not to mention the ever-present, environmentally-friendly cloud of blue smoke!
:D

dirty old man
01-04-2005, 08:15 AM
that was so true until the merc Verado came out. You can't believe how quiet it is. when idleing the loudest thing you hear is the pee stream of cooling water

superdave013
01-04-2005, 08:22 AM
superdave, anyone done a dB test on your turbo motor?
Not yet but it's getting some big a$$ mufflers for sure.

billet racing
01-04-2005, 12:21 PM
I went the route of turbo's. Can actually carry on a conversation with the passenger while cruizin. Water cooled jackets, And you don't feel the heat of the motor, as with the headers.
I predict turbo's will be a big item this year.
OH, and they don't slow you down, just the opposite.

dirty old man
01-04-2005, 12:40 PM
turbo's started being a big thing in the marine industry in the late '70's and for many years nearly every ski race boat had them. they were used by some very well known offshore racers, mainly Tom Gentry in his Gentry Eagles in which he held many world speed records. turbos in a marine application is usually quite a bit more expensive than blowers, but the performance is unbeatable. some people will toss out the phrase "turbo lag' but that was cleared up a long time ago in MOST applications. todays turboed ski race boats with EFI and good waste gates are spectacular (and relatively quiet)

superdave013
01-04-2005, 12:53 PM
todays turboed ski race boats with EFI and good waste gates are spectacular (and relatively quiet)
But still to loud for the 2,005 standards so I hear. That is why I do plan to use mufflers with my set up.
Pretty much I'm making 2 sets of tail pipes. All of the materials are from Burns. One set will have a cone that's cut off at 4" with a turnup. The other will have a Burns muffler between the cone and turnup. I hope the extra back pressure won't hurt to bad.
So what do you think Dirty, think it will pass a sound check?? Oh, carbed 572" BBC with dry tail pipes.

dirty old man
01-04-2005, 01:41 PM
that should definately pass the idle test with room to spare. in fact if you had to rev the unloaded motor it should still pass

burtandnancy
01-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Superdave, how about those mufflers that they run on modified's and sportsmen. They are really quiet, and you know those guys don't want to give up any horsepower. Ought to work great with your dry exhaust. I've seen this kind of set up at Billy Dunsmore's in Boulder City.