PDA

View Full Version : CALLING MR 460

JET BUG
06-15-2001, 01:20 AM
Hello mr 460 i was wondering if you could give me some info on cam selection?.i dont want to rev past about 4800rpm ,you seem to be the ford guy around here.have a berk 12jc with an"A" impeller hope to hear from you
cheers
jet bug

lakecrazy
06-15-2001, 05:16 AM
I run a Ford 460 in my boat with a Berkley "A" impeller. I would suggest a cam from Competition Cams called Xtreme marine series. Check their web site to match a cam with your application. They also have an online tech available to assist you.

spectras only
06-15-2001, 08:47 AM
Jetbug,Ford motorsport has the right cam for your RPM application .It's the A460 marine cam,if I remember the intake lift is 495, exhaust lift 502,duration 214-220 at 0.050 lift.It will give you economy and good low end and midrange.It will give you up to 5300RPM with an "A" impeller .

mister460
06-15-2001, 10:44 AM
JET BUG, I got your cam for you. I was running some figures just last night on my DYNO 2000. Mind you, it is a "theoretical" engine simulator, it is a good tool for contrasting and comparing engine variables. I'll e-mail you some figures and grind numbers later today. Lakecrazy is correct. The Xtreme Marine series are great for boats. The XM270H and XM262H made pretty good numbers. These cams would also work with mild or no valvetrain mods. Does your engine have anything else done to it? You NEED to grind away the air injection knobs out of the exhaust ports!! This will help power ALOT! I ported and flow tested my heads myself. over 300 cfm @.550 on the intake and 210cfm @.550 exhuast. If you're gonna put a cam in you might as well port the heads too. Bigger cams need more airflow. Ford heads are historically restrictive on the exhaust. At least open IT up! Sorry for the long response but I tend to ramble on when I start talking BB Fords! I will get those #'s and graphs to you later tonight, though. It's pretty interesting to see what small changes do to the out put of an engine. Just send me the specs on your current setup, i.e., heads, manifold, carb, headers or logs, etc. Hope I can help!

nitro557
06-15-2001, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by mister460:
JET BUG, I got your cam for you. I was running some figures just last night on my DYNO 2000. Mind you, it is a "theoretical" engine simulator, it is a good tool for contrasting and comparing engine variables. I'll e-mail you some figures and grind numbers later today. Lakecrazy is correct. The Xtreme Marine series are great for boats. The XM270H and XM262H made pretty good numbers. These cams would also work with mild or no valvetrain mods. Does your engine have anything else done to it? You NEED to grind away the air injection knobs out of the exhaust ports!! This will help power ALOT! I ported and flow tested my heads myself. over 300 cfm @.550 on the intake and 210cfm @.550 exhuast. If you're gonna put a cam in you might as well port the heads too. Bigger cams need more airflow. Ford heads are historically restrictive on the exhaust. At least open IT up! Sorry for the long response but I tend to ramble on when I start talking BB Fords! I will get those #'s and graphs to you later tonight, though. It's pretty interesting to see what small changes do to the out put of an engine. Just send me the specs on your current setup, i.e., heads, manifold, carb, headers or logs, etc. Hope I can help!

nitro557
06-15-2001, 01:57 PM
heads are historically restrictive on the exhaust. At least open IT up! Sorry for the long response but I tend to ramble on when I start talking BB Fords! I will get those #'s and graphs to you later tonight, though. It's pretty interesting to see what small changes do to the out put of an engine. Just send me the specs on your current setup, i.e., heads, manifold, carb, headers or logs, etc. Hope I can help![/B][/QUOTE]sorry for resending you reply , im running a 460 .060 over with the trw dome tops milled down flat with dove c heads fully ported the comp cams 305h cam roller rockers , portosonic intake and a 800 holley reworked to 910 cfm , i want to put this in my 75 southwind daycruiser with a just reworked berkley c with an a imp what do you think this will run like im useing logs but 3 1/2 inch hose

Bubbledeck
06-15-2001, 02:38 PM
Mister 460 could you send me a copy of the of that email? thanx :-)
billyr@pacbell.net

mister460
06-15-2001, 03:22 PM
I'll work all the stuff out and send it to all that want it! Not a problem at all. I'm happy to help.

beached1
06-16-2001, 05:52 AM
I need to talk to a mister454. =).

mister460
06-16-2001, 03:18 PM
Built alot of those too. Just been a Ford man since I was in 5th grade. Got a problem?

beached1
06-18-2001, 11:59 AM
No problem's yet. I don't have much experience with four stroke motors. I would appreciate your opinion if I could hit you up with some questions once in a while. I have a lot of experience with two strokes and personal watercraft, but jet boats are a little different and I'm new to it. I have a 454 with the large oval port intake heads. Holley 750 Mec advance. GM HEI ignition. The cam is a Crower. I don't have the specs for it right off hand but the engine builder told me that the cam and springs should be good enough to rev to 6,000. I can't get it to rev more than 4,300/4,400 rpm's. it feels like the impeller has too much bite or the motor is too weak. The Pump is a jacuzzi WJ. I don't know what the pitch of the impeller is. I plan on getting the enegizer kit and going for a shorter pitched imp next winter. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. One last question.. I have a Edelbrock Performer manifold and a Torker II. I'm running the performer right now. Which is better? Thanks.