PDA

View Full Version : iPod

phebus
01-03-2005, 06:24 PM
I am going to buy an iPod. Anyone with suggestions on the best model to get? I don't know if I need the storage capacity of the 40gb, so I am looking at the best bang for the buck. Also, any suggestions on where to get the best price?
Thanks

Essex29
01-03-2005, 06:57 PM
If I were you I'd make sure I bought a warranty with it...mine took a crap just sitting on my desk and waiting for summer...I just sent mine back to Bestbuy and they sent me a voucher to take to the store and get a brand new one...newer model too which is cool...they are awesome in the boat!
I had the 15gb and will be getting the 20gb...plenty for me I had 13gb of music/pics on it.
I am going to buy an iPod. Anyone with suggestions on the best model to get? I don't know if I need the storage capacity of the 40gb, so I am looking at the best bang for the buck. Also, any suggestions on where to get the best price?
Thanks

riverbound
01-03-2005, 07:12 PM
I have the 20gig and it is more than enough for just music. Definitely buy the warranty though I am on my 3rd one. Al& Eds autosound is an authorized Ipod dealer and will have stock the end of this month :D

ROZ
01-03-2005, 07:15 PM
There is no profit in IPODS.. Your best bet is going to a UC bookstore, if you're in the system. I got mine for a lower price than normal retail's actual cost at UCSD ... Apple and schools... go figure...

Havasubum
01-03-2005, 11:54 PM
im also looking to get one to anyone know of a place that has it for a good deal or know of any hook ups?

riverbound
01-04-2005, 10:54 AM
The problem is that Apple watches their dealers and if they sell them below Apple's minimum pricing standards they will lose their authorization. And like ROZ said ther is NO money in these things the money is in the accessories.

phebus
01-04-2005, 04:12 PM
The problem is that Apple watches their dealers and if they sell them below Apple's minimum pricing standards they will lose their authorization. And like ROZ said ther is NO money in these things the money is in the accessories.
Not having one yet, what accesories are needed?

ROZ
01-04-2005, 04:37 PM
KCA420i :D

riverbound
01-04-2005, 05:30 PM
The most popular accessory is whatever is required to input it in to your car stereo.
The other accessories would be the same things that you would buy for a cell phone. (car chargers, cases, etc...)

100mbs
01-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Check out the Creative Labs "Creative Zen Touch" They are supposed to be better than the IPOD and cheaper to. $314.00 on amazon right now for 40GB.
Here is the link to the Creative Zen Touch info.
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=10274

phebus
01-04-2005, 09:49 PM
The most popular accessory is whatever is required to input it in to your car stereo.
The other accessories would be the same things that you would buy for a cell phone. (car chargers, cases, etc...)
So the stores are making money off the non Apple made products, and are using the iPod as a way to market those items?

phebus
01-04-2005, 09:50 PM
KCA420i :D
Roz, did you find out if the 420i would work with the Alpine 7893 head unit?

ROZ
01-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Roz, did you find out if the 420i would work with the Alpine 7893 head unit?
If your stereo has quicksearch feature, it should work.... :rollside:
I know for a fact that it will not work with ANY phantomface headunits...

phebus
01-07-2005, 01:05 PM
If your stereo has quicksearch feature, it should work.... :rollside:
I know for a fact that it will not work with ANY phantomface headunits...
I will get the manual out, and see if it has a quicksearch feature. Don't know what a phantomface is or whether I have one or not. :confused: Thanks

ROZ
01-07-2005, 01:27 PM
I will get the manual out, and see if it has a quicksearch feature. Don't know what a phantomface is or whether I have one or not. :confused: Thanks
Phantom is a 1din deck with a 1.3 din face that comes out to view...

beer hunter
01-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Phebus, if you're just using this primarily for the boat you should think about getting a ten disk CD changer that plays MP3's. That would equal about seven gigs of music at approximately 150 to 180 songs per CD X 10. I've had a Sony ten disk unit in my boat for almost three years now and itÂ’s been trouble free and doesn't skip :cool:

ROZ
01-07-2005, 02:58 PM
But who wants to go through all that trouble changing cd's..lol
Nice that my entire cd collection can fit on a 40gig IPOD and be run from a 2004 and up ai-net Alpine stereo.. Run all your playlists as well...

kidstuf
01-07-2005, 03:10 PM
I have a 20gb which IMO is plenty of storage space... I saw them for sale at Costco...

phebus
01-07-2005, 03:38 PM
I looked in the manual, and my head unit does have the quick search function. Now Roz, what is the cost of the 410, and the 420?
As far as mp3 changer goes, the head unit I have (Alpine 7893) doesn't play MP3's, but I do have an Alpine 12 disc changer attached to it. Is it the head unit that processes the mp3 format, or the changer? Is it possible I could play mp3's with the changer I have now, or upgrade to a changer that could without changing out the head unit?
I wouldn't want to change out the head unit, as I have a xm radio unit , and the 12 disc cd changer attached, and wouldn't want to replace everything.

ROZ
01-07-2005, 10:52 PM
I looked in the manual, and my head unit does have the quick search function. Now Roz, what is the cost of the 410, and the 420?
As far as mp3 changer goes, the head unit I have (Alpine 7893) doesn't play MP3's, but I do have an Alpine 12 disc changer attached to it. Is it the head unit that processes the mp3 format, or the changer? Is it possible I could play mp3's with the changer I have now, or upgrade to a changer that could without changing out the head unit?
I wouldn't want to change out the head unit, as I have a xm radio unit , and the 12 disc cd changer attached, and wouldn't want to replace everything.
The CHA1214 deosn't play mp3.... Only the CHAS635 does.... It is the Ai-net model and will work with your headunit...

phebus
01-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Yea, I have the CHA1214, so I'm out on mp3 the way my system is now. It is Ai-net also, just not mp3 I guess.