PDA

View Full Version : Anyone quittin....

MAINEVENT
01-03-2005, 09:25 PM
SMOKING :( this year i have been meaning to do so now for a long time and i think i am done....i have tried before but i would always crave one and right now i am OK without them this might be a good thing
just curious if anyone has and how did you do it cold turkey, patches etc.... I am doing it gradually and workin so far :coffeycup :coffeycup :coffeycup

RiverKitty
01-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Yup! Toss me on that list!
I like smoking...I just know it's bad for me. :(

bunny 166
01-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Great news sweetie!! Good luck to you--you can do it!! My Dad quit cold turkey on his 50th b-day after smoking for 30 years. If he can, you can, too. :D :D :clover: :clover: :clover:

RiverKitty
01-03-2005, 09:34 PM
I keep thinking that one day I will get and just quit!
I also think if I join and gym.... that will help me work out my anxiety! :hammer2:
Congrats to your dad!!! My inspiration!!! :clover: :clover: :clover:

MAINEVENT
01-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Co did it cold turkey now she is just a "Social Smoker" not even that really i did it before but went right back about a month later so we will see i cant say i am addicted to it i just need that oral fixation the last time i quit i would eat sunflower seeds but then i had to go to the dentist and F that no way LOL so i hope this works cause i do feel better when i dont smoke lately :D
Hats off to your dad bunny :rollside:

shueman
01-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Quitin' is tops on my list this year.....The wife and I are going to both give 'em up (hopefully)....put the money in a jar and save for a down payment on a RIVER PLACE....!!!!

bunny 166
01-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Quitin' is tops on my list this year.....The wife and I are going to both give 'em up (hopefully)....put the money in a jar and save for a down payment on a RIVER PLACE....!!!!
There's some inspiration!!! It is an expensive habit... :hammerhea

Dawn Patrol
01-03-2005, 09:45 PM
I stop smoking 9 years ago cold turkey, best thing I ever did.
The only down side is, I like drinking Beer more now.... Go Figure. :hammerhea

MAINEVENT
01-03-2005, 09:49 PM
I stop smoking 9 years ago cold turkey, best thing I ever did.
The only down side is, I like drinking Beer more now.... Go Figure. :hammerhea
Gotta have something :D

MAINEVENT
01-03-2005, 09:51 PM
It is an expensive habit... :hammerhea
Very expensive mine was 9 to 11 bucks a day more on the weekends :hammerhea :eek: but for the past year it has been around a pack everyday or 2 days

fat rat
01-04-2005, 05:20 AM
My 2nd day smoke-free...........just take it 1 minute at a time and don't give in. ;)

Bryan Rose
01-04-2005, 05:35 AM
Cold turkey.... :skull: :skull: :skull: or this is the result Smoking Bad for you......... < It works you just have to really make your mind up you " WANT" to quit and you will, this is not some thing you can casually do. Make your mind up for good and you will do it. Be strong!
Bryan

BarryMac
01-04-2005, 06:23 AM
Good Luck Main, not sure if you haev kids but if you do, quit for them, they want you to be around for a long time ad smoking is taking time away from them...
gjb

lucky
01-04-2005, 06:36 AM
Where Is Rd When Ya Need Him --- Dave Can Ya Send Over A Smoke Signal ???
Good Job Main Event - Keep Up The No Smoke Campain ! Think About Your Kids - Don't Want Them To See Ya Smokin When They Get Older !

billet racing
01-04-2005, 07:39 AM
When we hire, offer any smoker extra $100 a month to quit. Have had a few takers over the years. Some have come back to me later and I have kept the offer open. Add that to your monthly savings, and you could get that extra house.

rrrr
01-04-2005, 07:51 AM
I used patches and sugar free Life Savers. Still keep a roll in my pocket after five years. I gained weight but it's a good tradeoff.
I offer my strongest encouragement to those of you that are trying to quit. You can do it!

Mrs.Racer277
01-04-2005, 07:52 AM
It is on my list of things to do. Now that the holiday's are over. I am going the easy way (I hope) laser therapy. :)
Good luck to all.

PowellScooter
01-04-2005, 08:03 AM
I quit 12 yrs ago and have not had any cravings what so-ever

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-04-2005, 08:24 AM
I quit about a year ago and my wife is quiting this year. I took it one step at a time. first I went for 3 days then 3 weeks then 3 months then you are done. I guess you could call it the 3 step program. wife is on the second day. it gets easier after the 3rd day. cold turkey is the only way to quit. I actually quit smoking and dipping at the same time. I was pretty much straight lining nicotine. you CAN do it if YOU WANT TO. it's all about will power. you will be happy with the results. you will feel better and thank yourself later
GOOD LUCK!
Omega

mbrown2
01-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Day 2 and going pretty good...stopped on Sunday night at the river... :coffeycup

JB in so cal
01-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Think of the money saved by not having any more cig. burns to repair in the boat (or anywhere else, for that matter). :D
JB

Keithb87
01-04-2005, 11:05 AM
I quit last year for 6 months.
Jolly Rancher candies were the cure for me..
Then I started going to the bar more and drinking more then I started smoking again :mad:
I need to quit again for good.

tamalewagon
01-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Cold turkey is the harshest way to go, but the ONLY way to go. Still smoke free and working towards no more cravings...Arrgh!

RiverKitty
01-04-2005, 12:13 PM
My hats off to all you that have quit!!! Congrats!!! :D
Your ideas are encouraging and helpful on the mental process that is needed to quit.
I think the pains of quitting will be both mental and physical.
But I think it will be the mental part that will help me to succeed. :clover:

Kilrtoy
01-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Cold turkey bro, Its easier than you think.......
i did it 6 or 7 years ago under the thread of no nookie.....
well I stopped.....
AND BOY i am glad i did, best thing I have ever done for myself...

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-04-2005, 12:57 PM
I feel like a jerk even responding to this thread since I have posted that I am going to quit smoking on ***boat at least 3 times in the past year and have yet to succeed. But I am hoping to be smoke free sooner than later. I am first trying to get into a regular workout routine which I have been sticking too pretty good for a couple of weeks now. The more I workout, the less I smoke. I am hoping to quit smoking entirely within the next 2 months. I really want my hubby to quit too.
Its a hard thing to do but its definately doable. I agree with whoever said it, you have to WANT to quit.
Good luck to all us quitters!! :shift:

FMluvswater
01-04-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm a quitter. My 8th anniversary is end of January. Birthday present to myself and after 7+ years it's a gift that is still in mint condition. :wink: :cool:
In my experience nothing in life that was worthwhile was easy ... quitting was a hard thing to do. Hard is not the same thing as impossible, so I did it anyway. :)
I get the odd craving now and again but it's fleeting and non-urgent. I remember urgent cravings and I gotta say I really don't miss those.
I went through the Cancer Society program to quit smoking. Three weeks of mental preparation and learning about the nature of addiction. Last day of the program - I quit cold turkey. I haven't smoked since.
Best of luck to those of you who are trying to become smoke-free. :clover: :)

fat rat
01-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Starting my 3rd day.............just do it, 1 minute at a time.

79 Howard
01-04-2005, 07:30 PM
I felt like 30 years was enough even though I loved it.I wanted to be around for my grandkids,was my reason, I used the patch and a lot of inside strength not to give in but each month got better, I am 10 years clean and have a few different thoughts on it now but to anyone who really! wants to, you should because there is nothing good nor acceptable for it anymore

fat rat
01-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Starting day 4............anyone else still in? :cry: :squiggle: :rollside: :rolleyes:

jlnorthrup122
01-05-2005, 07:55 PM
I quit 2 years ago! I feel so much better and after partieing all night I don't get that nasty hangover and wease!! I used 1 bottle of ziaban and lots of will power! I also shopped ebay alot I started collecting antique boating magazines and books. I justified buying an item by the money I saved from not buying the sigs! My antique boat literature collection is now valued at over $3000.00! Now when you get the cravings imagine yourself in fistfight of sorts with the cravings! Now kick that habbits ass!! Good luck to you all!!

fat rat
01-07-2005, 03:26 AM
Now when you get the cravings imagine yourself in fistfight of sorts with the cravings! Now kick that habbits ass!! Good luck to you all!!
starting day 5
I got to do something with this new found energy.........the wife is tired of me chasing her around the house. :idea: :) :rollside:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-07-2005, 06:08 AM
starting day 5
I got to do something with this new found energy.........the wife is tired of me chasing her around the house. :idea: :) :rollside:
keep up the good work. it should be getting a little easier by now. a couple more weeks and it will be substantially easier. in a few months you won't want to be around smokers. it's crazy. x-smokers usually end up being bothered by second hand smoke more than people that have never smoked.
My wife is hanging tuff and I think she is gonna make it. the second day was the hardest for her. she literally got the shakes :supp: I think the hardest part is over and it is all down hill from here.
Your sense of smell should intensify after a few weeks. you will notice it. then your energy goes thru the roof. then after a few months you should be good to go. I noticed I slept better after quiting also. quality of life goes up all the way around. After a few months I quit coughing up road tar and I think my lungs began healing.
Congrats to all of you that made the decision to quit. Your lungs will thank you.
Omega

shueman
01-07-2005, 06:18 AM
Starting day 4............anyone else still in? :cry: :squiggle: :rollside: :rolleyes:
I was doin' pretty good, cold turkey since the 1st....BUT fell of the wagon yesterday...GOTTA BE STRONG...!! :hammer2:

fat rat
01-08-2005, 06:17 AM
keep up the good work. it should be getting a little easier by now. a couple more weeks and it will be substantially easier. in a few months you won't want to be around smokers. it's crazy. x-smokers usually end up being bothered by second hand smoke more than people that have never smoked.
My wife is hanging tuff and I think she is gonna make it. the second day was the hardest for her. she literally got the shakes :supp: I think the hardest part is over and it is all down hill from here.
Your sense of smell should intensify after a few weeks. you will notice it. then your energy goes thru the roof. then after a few months you should be good to go. I noticed I slept better after quiting also. quality of life goes up all the way around. After a few months I quit coughing up road tar and I think my lungs began healing.
Congrats to all of you that made the decision to quit. Your lungs will thank you.
Omega
Starting day 6
Thanks for the encouraging words......its not easy. Tell the wife to hang in there.
I would have smoked somewhere between 120-150 cigarettes in these past 6 days. :rollside: :eek:

Midlife Advantage
01-08-2005, 10:51 AM
SMOKING :( this year i have been meaning to do so now for a long time and i think i am done....i have tried before but i would always crave one and right now i am OK without them this might be a good thing
just curious if anyone has and how did you do it cold turkey, patches etc.... I am doing it gradually and workin so far :coffeycup :coffeycup :coffeycup
I dont smoke very often, my vice is chew/dip/skoal - and I think it is harder to quit than smoking. but I haven't had any since Sunday night the 2nd. been chewing the shit outta Nicorette tho! I have been on Vidoden and Percocet for a few weeks now and I think that is helping some, WTF! I think the tough part will be when I finally get this back surgery done I may be sitting around wishin I had some chew. But I gotta quit dammit, mouth cancer, lung cancer, some kinda cancer will get me. and its kinda gross too, right ladies?

fat rat
01-08-2005, 12:59 PM
I was doin' pretty good, cold turkey since the 1st....BUT fell of the wagon yesterday...GOTTA BE STRONG...!! :hammer2:
Jump back on the wagon.............I can't drive this thing alone. :hammerhea

HavasuHome
01-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Quit smoking 33 years ago, cold turkey, when my son was born. Best thing I ever did. Put some weight on but than is in the process of being handled also.

fat rat
01-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Quit smoking 33 years ago, cold turkey, when my son was born. Best thing I ever did. Put some weight on but than is in the process of being handled also.
Day 7 or 160-180 cigarettes I didn't smoke this week. :eek:
Last time I quit, I gained 20#.........hoping not to let it happen again.

shueman
01-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Jump back on the wagon.............I can't drive this thing alone. :hammerhea
Back with ya....2 days & countin'.....keep up the good work...!!!! :hammer2: