PDA

View Full Version : Is all this rain and snow going to help us?

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-04-2005, 02:15 PM
What does this do for the river?

Mandelon
01-04-2005, 02:19 PM
It will take many years of above average rain fall to fill up powell and mead. But its a great start.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-04-2005, 02:33 PM
In terms of lake levels, no. We need continued years like this in the Rockies to fill the lakes back up.

Jordy
01-04-2005, 03:32 PM
It's helping my lakes and rivers. Rooselvelt has come up 7 feet in the last week from these storms, plus we're getting all kinds of snow pack in the higher elevations that will only feed all my lakes more. Roosevelt has a capacity of around 1.5 million acre feet. It's been hanging under the 30% mark for the last couple years, but is now coming up.
Most the rain we get in the valley either helps recharge the groundwater or goes down the Salt River and ends up meeting with the Gila and then on to Mexico if it makes it that far. Right now they're releasing water in the normally dry Salt River bed, around 17K CFS. First release in over 10 years. Wild stuff.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Saw pictures of a spillway on an AZ lake on the news, was that Pleasant? The water was rushing out of there!

JB in so cal
01-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Big Bear has come up 2 feet in a week.

Lightning
01-04-2005, 03:43 PM
What about Arrowhead?

Jordy
01-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Saw pictures of a spillway on an AZ lake on the news, was that Pleasant? The water was rushing out of there!
Nope. Pleasant is still down. Horseshoe and Bartlett in the NE Valley are both letting out water on a large scale. That water goes into the Verde River, where it meets up with the Salt. Saguaro, the lowest lake on the Salt is also letting out some water. These releases combined are what you're seeing running through the valley. More than likely it was either Bartlett or Horseshoe on the news. The first 10 minutes of every news cast and about every other 5 after that shows flooding and water from the storms.

JB in so cal
01-04-2005, 03:52 PM
What about Arrowhead?
I'd imagine it's pretty close to BB.