01-05-2005, 03:34 AM
http://www.banderlog.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=598

Squirtin Thunder
01-05-2005, 11:24 AM
http://www.banderlog.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=598
:crossx:

Squirtin Thunder
01-05-2005, 12:14 PM
We're ready for tomorrow, sounds like mother nature is throwing one of her fits but we'll fool her and get the job done anyway.
I'll watch the boards so I know what time things are going to come together tomorrow. I still can't believe these guys are coming through all that's happened to them. I'm saying a little prayer to keep them safe in the weather they're having to drive through

AZKC
01-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Hows this deal goin :confused: Any news?

Jet Hydro
01-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Could someone take a picture of how it show`s up on the fishfinder? Long story but we were told that a boat wont show up but the motor will??? We are looking for one that went down in 34foot merk. This would help us know what we will see when we drive over it.
This is what we believe the boat might look like and this is the only thing we have found in our search. It`s in about 34foot of water and the image we picked up is about 15 to 19 foot tall off the bottom of the lake. We are using a Humminbird 515 with single beam sonar.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208boat_pic-med.jpg
Humminbird say`s fishfinders wont pick up a fiberglass because fiberglass has the same make-up as water.thus the reason you can install the transducer in the bottom of a boat instead of having to bolt it on the out side. I say it should cause fiberglass should show up as a hard spot in the water? Any Ideas? This image look`s like a tree. There are no trees in the area where the boat sank.
Thanks

CARLSON-JET
01-06-2005, 10:48 AM
jet-hydro, the image you drew looks to me like maybe it is standing on end .. bow up .. was there any significant floatation in the bow? I say that as the depths you indicate mach up with a 20' hull aprox. making many multi-directional passes would gather a clearer image. mark that area well .. you might have a good object in that location. I have a few humming bird finders and have become fairly proficient at reading mine. I think your underwater camera idea is gonna be your best bet when you get to some sort of structure that even comes close to representing a hull. good luck to you and your friends on that recovery . R.B.

Carnivalride
01-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Long story but we were told that a boat wont show up but the motor will??? We are looking for one that went down in 34foot merk. This would help us know what we will see when we drive over it.
Jet Hydro,
Sorry about the luck! :frown: :frown: :frown: You still haven't been able to recover it yet? :cry: :cry: :cry: Is it just to cost prohibitive to get a diver down there to see if that image you have is the boat? :confused: You've convinced me that my decision to leave the floatation in mine was a good idea after all.
Best of luck to you on the recovery, hope you get it soon,
Loren

Jet Hydro
01-06-2005, 12:57 PM
We have a diver ( Nice Guy and all ) but I really don't think he know`s what he claims. He went down once but came up in the wrong spot...lol... he said I cant fell anything, I said: it`s cause you went the wrong way...errrrrrrrrrrr he came up 20 to 30 feet away from where I told him to dive...errrrrrrrrrrr :220v: :argue: The YMCA Dive lessons are looking better and better all the time :D

moneysucker
01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
JH, you vere think of mounting a metal detector to a pole to find the engine? That way even if it is covered up you can find it.

cave
01-06-2005, 05:23 PM
JetHydro that looks like a good hit. Criss cross that area and if you get the same type of signal you may have found it.
That image is similar to the image my divers showed me. As you criss cross the area you may see an image that resembles the old JAWS poster of a sharks head pointed up. If the boat is upright sitting on the bottom flat its real tough to find it, you really got to get the image of the headers and any parts that may give a shadow of your top side.
You may want to try to mount the transponder on an angle to get a side type view. Not much angle as you still want the sonar to bounce back. That image looks promising if your sure there are not any trees in that area.
Make sure If you pay some one to recover the boat that you get it in righting that you are paying for the recovery not the search. This may motivate the diver to actually search and recover. I learned this the hard way!
Good Luck.

ACCEPTENCE
01-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Could someone take a picture of how it show`s up on the fishfinder? Long story but we were told that a boat wont show up but the motor will??? We are looking for one that went down in 34foot merk. This would help us know what we will see when we drive over it.
This is what we believe the boat might look like and this is the only thing we have found in our search. It`s in about 34foot of water and the image we picked up is about 15 to 19 foot tall off the bottom of the lake. We are using a Humminbird 515 with single beam sonar.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208boat_pic-med.jpg
Humminbird say`s fishfinders wont pick up a fiberglass because fiberglass has the same make-up as water.thus the reason you can install the transducer in the bottom of a boat instead of having to bolt it on the out side. I say it should cause fiberglass should show up as a hard spot in the water? Any Ideas? This image look`s like a tree. There are no trees in the area where the boat sank.
Thanks
Jet,
It's very likely it is in fact standing up right, bow eye to the sun.
Usually they land exactly like your drawing indicates.
Thirty four feet of water is not deep at all.
Take a very large grapplin hook and drop it with as long a section of cable rope you can find right near as you can get to the fish finder hit.
Do small then large circles around the hook while paying out cable, chain or now rope and circling the target area and you will snag the boat for sure!!!!
Side Scan Sonar will find it with deadly accuracy...got a local university near you???
I'd use mine and find it for ya but we got a distance/milage factor.
Good luck!!!

Jet Hydro
01-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Jet,
Side Scan Sonar will find it with deadly accuracy...got a local university near you???
Good luck!!!
The diver has one on his boat but he doesn't seem to find anything for some reason.
He tried to tell me that it will show up looking just like an outline of the boat ????? I think what I found is it but time will only tell as the water is way to cold to play in right now and my lake boat is broken :(

TopCat
01-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Have you all chked to see if a metal detector will work thru water also dont forget that there is a current though slight would move the boat if its still standing up underwater also you mite want to call the coast guard 916-925-6030 they do this in the river frequenty just a couple of ideas that might help

TopCat
01-07-2005, 03:15 PM
You can try Kevins Quality marine 916-646-0292 they do it onthe river but Kevin the owner wont be avail. until Monday sorry its the best i can do so far the coast guard wont recommend anyone legal issues they say i'll keep trying......GOOD LUCK.....Gerry PS if you need help this weekend i can get a few people together give me a call 916-752-5291

wrenchdaddy
01-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Any news on the CFW recovery??????

MANIC MECHANIC
01-07-2005, 05:19 PM
As an experianced scuba diver myself (got my license at the YMCA 27 yrs ago,)
And having spent four years in the local rescue squad as a search diver in murky lakes and rivers looking for drowning victims and sunken boats,
I can tell you it is not easy to navigate when you can only see twelve inches (or less,) in front of your face.
We were taught as search divers to crawl along the bottom feeling in front of us with our hands, after a few minutes on the bottom you have no idea where you are, in relation to where you are supposed to be.
(I can also tell you that it is not pleasant to come across a dead body that way.)
So give the divers a break, it's not as easy as you think.
Here's a suggestion though, try getting in touch with the local search and rescue team, rescue squad, sheriff's department, or state police, I'm sure there is some one in your area that is trained in underwater search, with the proper diving equipment (in your area at this time of year, that would be a REALLY thick wetsuit or maybe even a drysuit)
that you could bribe to help you find the boat.
In my experiance most boats usually settle on the bottom nose up at first due to the air that is trapped in the bow as it sinks, most will remain nose up on the bottom until they are found, even though the trapped air almost always eventually escapes.
I can't offer you much help on what a submerged boat looks like on a fish finder.
I wish you luck.
Tim

MudPumper
01-07-2005, 08:57 PM
What MM said above about approaching a local PD or FD dive team is a good idea. Get in touch with the Dive Master of the agency and tell him of a good "Training" oportunity for their team. They may be more than happy to help out, they need to keep their skills up.

Norseman
01-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Jet,
It's very likely it is in fact standing up right, bow eye to the sun.
Usually they land exactly like your drawing indicates.
Thirty four feet of water is not deep at all.
Take a very large grapplin hook and drop it with as long a section of cable rope you can find right near as you can get to the fish finder hit.
Do small then large circles around the hook while paying out cable, chain or now rope and circling the target area and you will snag the boat for sure!!!!
I'd use mine and find it for ya but we got a distance/milage factor.
Good luck!!!
Rather than a grappling hook, how about a strong magnet on a fairly light line. If the engine is steel it should stick to it. Then you can lower a grappling hook, or better have the diver follow the line down and tie a rope to it.
Just a thought.

BigBoyToys
01-08-2005, 05:08 AM
As I understand it, Squirtin Thunder is here up in NorCal (?). If that being the case, is anyone heading up to CFW today (Saturday)? Or tomorrow (Sunday)? I can probably get up there to help out in any way I can this weekend if needed. I can probably round up a few more folks too. I posted my cell # at Banderlog forums.....Let me know.
As the water is rising 5'-6' every day at CFW, it would be nice to recover Tim's boat ASAP because it's gonna get deeper really quick.
Jim

BigBoyToys
01-08-2005, 05:13 AM
You can try Kevins Quality marine 916-646-0292 they do it onthe river but Kevin the owner wont be avail. until Monday sorry its the best i can do so far the coast guard wont recommend anyone legal issues they say i'll keep trying......GOOD LUCK.....Gerry PS if you need help this weekend i can get a few people together give me a call 916-752-5291
Gerry,
Give me a call today on my personal cell (I'm not carrying my work cell today). Maybe we can meet up and I can give you your motor mounts and fuel pump. Only plans I have today/tomorrow is the Gun Show at Cal-Expo, but I'll skip that if they need me out at CFW.

Jet Hydro
01-08-2005, 11:46 AM
All this talk makes me want to be back out on the lake looking again :D
I know how it feel`s to have 20 people tell ya they will help and have only have a hand full show up...sorry to hear that you guy`s are going through the same thing. :argue:
We`v been talking bout forming a recovery team cause there`s none in our area and the INS. company's say they would help support such a thing. Just might be my next business venture :D I already have half of what`s needed and I have helped in recovering a few boats already this summer. Besides I love being on the lake as much as I can :D
Good luck this weekend!

ACCEPTENCE
01-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Rather than a grappling hook, how about a strong magnet on a fairly light line. If the engine is steel it should stick to it. Then you can lower a grappling hook, or better have the diver follow the line down and tie a rope to it.
Just a thought.
It's a good thought too. Cas and I discussed it last friday and he was plannin on doing exactly that. It is do-able this way. It just takes alot of patience.
Good luck in the hunt ;)