PDA

View Full Version : wondering

bakerman
03-01-2002, 09:42 PM
just a ques. if anyone know's! why do some boat's have the litle window facing forword's and some face back? does it make a diff. becouse in my eye's if it faced forword it would be less arrowdynamic? just a thought!

spectras only
03-02-2002, 12:08 AM
Bakerman ,the little window [reverse windshield or venturi window]serves the purpose of deflecting the wind forward first and upward to divert the wind above your face.The pullback windows are quite ineffective if they're low profile ,which are low for aesthetic reasons.Also the reverse type windshield would be more effective mounted on the leading edge ,but most builders decided to mount further behind ,again for aesthetic reasons.my 20 spectra has the reverse type that I find very effective because the depth of seating allows me to sit in the right position ,with the wind just brushing the top of my head.The 19 has the pullback windshield and I have to wear sunglasses to keep the wind and bugs from my eyes.The 24 has the reverse type again and it works well.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited March 02, 2002).]

mister460
03-04-2002, 11:40 AM
The forward facing 'shield also helps in deflecting spray/splash out of your face. Aerodynamically it should make little, if any, noticable difference.

RiverDave
03-04-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by spectras only:
Bakerman ,the little window [reverse windshield or venturi window]serves the purpose of deflecting the wind forward first and upward to divert the wind above your face.
Would someone explain to me what a reversed window has to do with the venturi principals?
RD

572Daytona
03-04-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave:
Would someone explain to me what a reversed window has to do with the venturi principals?
RD
I think it is along the same lines of putting the prop in the front

jimmmyb
03-04-2002, 01:00 PM
window's on boats ?

old rigger
03-04-2002, 01:14 PM
I hate to throw cold water on the theory that it deflects air this way or that way, but after having been in on the pow wows with the powers that be, it usually boils down to what the boss (or his wife) thinks looks best on the boat. If it happens to give you a dryer, or wind free ride, it was dumb luck. Usually the windshield manufacture, Wayne Earl, Finneys, Speciatly, whomever, has as much say in the matter and the builder.
Personally, there's not a boat on the planet that looks better with a windshield than without it. I hate 'em.

spectras only
03-04-2002, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by old rigger:
Personally, there's not a boat on the planet that looks better with a windshield than without it. I hate 'em. OR, I agree with this comment,however I wouldn't have been able to withstand the wind in my face more than a few minutes yesterday when I went for a ride,without that darn deflector http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif.I would never put a windshield of any kind on a Donzi sweet 16 for sure!

old rigger
03-04-2002, 01:40 PM
"however I wouldn't have been able to withstand the wind in my face more than a few minutes yesterday when I went for a ride,without that darn deflector"
Spectras only,
aren't you way, way up north where its super ****in' cold? What the hell are you boating for already? You act like you live in So Cal or something.
By the way, it's about 79 today.

spectras only
03-04-2002, 01:55 PM
OR, I live in the Vancouver area where you can boat and ski the same day [ski slopes at Grouse,Cypress and Seymour mountains].Look at the pictures in the reader rides section under sterndrives,I posted pics of the 24 Kazulin we had out last weekend and yesterday.It has a windshield http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif. Hooligan lives in Calgary and he posted 8" of snow there http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif ,haha. If you have a windshieldless boat and a fullface motorcycle helmet you can pretty much boat all year long here http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited March 04, 2002).]