PDA

View Full Version : Who does ur taxes??

NOTALENT
01-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Do u do ur own taxes, or take them to a professional???

ROZ
01-05-2005, 11:19 AM
I do them, but I do them at my dad's office using his program.... He's a CPA :D

1978 Rogers
01-05-2005, 11:22 AM
We do our own. I forget which form. My wife & I both work. We both put money into retirement and she recieves a trust from her grandmother. It doesn't change much year to year. :D

NOTALENT
01-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Is it worth it to go thru a professional?? I dont have any write off's, I claim 0. But I have friends who made alot less then me last year..and got back a bit more by going through a prof. Are there hidden tips or things they use??

RiverOtter
01-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Cpa

Havasu_Dreamin
01-05-2005, 11:27 AM
I use a CPA.

AvengerBabe
01-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Just wanted to add that if anyone needs their taxes done, my boyfriend is a CPA at a large firm in downtown SD. He does returns on the side during tax season for extra income. He'll do your return for cheaper than some random person at H&R Block with added CPA expertise... PM me if you are interested...

MsDrmr
01-05-2005, 11:28 AM
We do our own, we use TurboTax (awsome product)

Newcastle
01-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Definitely use a tax guy..but be careful where you go. My friends got back a ton in '00. So I used this company in '01. Yep. Got audited in '04 for the '01 year. Sucks. Its a headache not worth. And it's all cuz I used that company. They were scandalous, not to me, but the year before, and everybody that used them in '01 got audited. Just make sure you know someone that reputable.

MsDrmr
01-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Is it worth it to go thru a professional?? I dont have any write off's, I claim 0. But I have friends who made alot less then me last year..and got back a bit more by going through a prof. Are there hidden tips or things they use??
no do it yourself, invest a few $$ in turbo tax, it's simple and they usually do refunds if you purchase both fed & state. No paperwork mess, no mailing, just fill in the ##'s and send...

BarryMac
01-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Martinez Avenger is going to do mine. He's Avenger Babes main squeeze...

AvengerBabe
01-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Martinez Avenger is going to do mine. He's Avenger Babes main squeeze...
haha, my "main squeeze"? aren't you showing your age there Barry?

Newcastle
01-05-2005, 11:34 AM
I used Turbo Tax once...it's cheap, like $30 as opposed to paying somebody $250. But if you're not tax savvy, it helps to have somebody who knows the ropes on what you can and can't deduct.

1978 Rogers
We used a CPA after we bought our house. We thought it would help some. Cost us $150 and they didn't do anything special. We used them for two years, then started doing them ourselves.

Mrs. Restless22
no do it yourself, invest a few $$ in turbo tax, it's simple and they usually do refunds if you purchase both fed & state. No paperwork mess, no mailing, just fill in the ##'s and send...
Im going to challenge this and say definitly use a professional.
They know things you can right off that we would never think of.....

GrapeApe
01-05-2005, 11:35 AM
I have been going to the Same person for the past 5 Years.. She does a ton of Tax Returns for Mortgage Brokers, Agents, Self Employed Peeps.. But as Newcastle said, be careful who you go with.. As soon as a person gets popped by the IRS for fraudulent deductions, the CPA/Tax Consultant's other clients could get audited..
*** Grape Ape ***

Newcastle
01-05-2005, 11:35 AM
I agree

JetBoatRich
01-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Take them a professional :cool: he does an awesome job. Switched over to his company a couple years ago.

NOTALENT
01-05-2005, 11:37 AM
That is what I was thinking...I normally do them myself...but I thought I would see what they could do...I think I may do it my self..and then have someone do it as well...and see if they made a difference before I turned it in..to see if its worth it :confused:

BarryMac
01-05-2005, 11:42 AM
haha, my "main squeeze"? aren't you showing your age there Barry?
I know I'm old but I'm not crazy... Just Talked with your squeeze we're going to hook up as soon as I get my crap together.
Maybe with what he's charging me you two can by the Brady Boys cart... ;)

beer hunter
01-05-2005, 11:46 AM
I do my own taxes using Turbo Tax deluxe. If I have a question about grey area deductions my neighbor is a manager for the IRS and can usually get me the answers :)

Havasu Hangin'
01-05-2005, 11:46 AM
If you don't have alot of writeoffs, I'd say do it yourself.
Definitely use a tax guy..but be careful where you go. My friends got back a ton in '00. So I used this company in '01. Yep. Got audited in '04 for the '01 year. Sucks. Its a headache not worth. And it's all cuz I used that company. They were scandalous, not to me, but the year before, and everybody that used them in '01 got audited. Just make sure you know someone that reputable.
That happened to me. My tax guy got audited, they didn't like what they saw, so they audited everyone he did taxes for.
The bottom line is that you are responsible for your tax return. Even if you use a professional, you are accountable (pardon the expression).

Newcastle
01-05-2005, 11:49 AM
If you don't have alot of writeoffs, I'd say do it yourself.
That happened to me. My tax guy got audited, they didn't like what they saw, so they audited everyone he did taxes for.
The bottom line is that you are responsible for your tax return. Even if you use a professional, you are accountable (pardon the expression).
Yep...exactly. Fortunately I didn't get a lot back, but they still say I owe them 2G. I've got old credit card statements to back it up, so I should be in the clear.

Havasu Hangin'
01-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Yep...exactly. Fortunately I didn't get a lot back, but they still say I owe them 2G. I've got old credit card statements to back it up, so I should be in the clear.
A couple examples of my wonderful audit experience:
I supplied them with my mileage log and customers (business mileage)- they rejected it because "I didn't prove that they were my customers." :confused:
I supplied canceled checks and receipts for charitable donations- they rejected it because "I didn't have a letter from the church that the money went to charity and not goods and services". :confused:
In the end, I ended up paying almost $4,000...not because I didn't have the backup, but because they didn't accept it.
Good luck.

Newcastle
01-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Grrrr....thanks. Fortunately I make more money now than I used to, so the 2G will still suck to pay, but at least I have it. I'm hoping it's not gonna be painful. Thanks for the input HH

HCS
01-05-2005, 12:19 PM
A couple examples of my wonderful audit experience:
I supplied them with my mileage log and customers (business mileage)- they rejected it because "I didn't prove that they were my customers." :confused:
I supplied canceled checks and receipts for charitable donations- they rejected it because "I didn't have a letter from the church that the money went to charity and not goods and services". :confused:
In the end, I ended up paying almost $4,000...not because I didn't have the backup, but because they didn't accept it.
Good luck.
Think if anybody gets audited they walk away not owing something?
Nope. A buddy of mine is a IRS auditor, I'm suprise more of those guys don't get shot. You wouldn't believe the stories he has. Actually you would. :chi:

Lightning
01-05-2005, 12:33 PM
What makes you think that?

HCS
01-05-2005, 12:34 PM
You ever write off your underware you throw away?
Hell Bill Clinton does. :rolleyes:

XtrmWakeborder
01-05-2005, 12:35 PM
My uncle is a cpa...i use him

AzLakeLizard
01-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Mardonzi's sister is a CPA and she has been doing our taxes for YEARS!
Never have had any issues and she does right by us! Ton's easier than doing them ourselves! :idea:

HCS
01-05-2005, 12:37 PM
My CPA highers a tax guy to do the over load every year.

Dave C
01-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Just my opinion and I am biased but:
Selecting between doing your own taxes and have a REPUTABLE professional depends on your level of expertise and how complicated is your life.
If your taxes are not complicated consider doing them yourself. If you have issues then its worth having a professional do them.
For example, consider doing them yourself if: your single or married & W-2 employee(s) and unable to itemize.
Get a professional if:
own a business (and talk to a CPA here)
itemize
buy and sell property such stocks, bonds & real estate (nightmare here)
have investment income such as rentals, dividends, interest, etc.
have inheritance problems.
have "losses"
have trust income
etc.
etc.
but what the f-ck do I know anyway ;) :rollside:

RP1
01-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Absolutely correct...
Also, If you use a CPA (not a "tax guy") you have less than 4% chance of ever being audited. They know where to draw the line when it comes to write offs. They will also help you if you do get audited.
However, if you have very little write-offs and are not in a very "high" income level, you can probably get away with doing it yourself and be fine.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Just my opinion and I am biased but:
Selecting between doing your own taxes and have a REPUTABLE professional depends on your level of expertise and how complicated is your life.
If your taxes are not complicated consider doing them yourself. If you have issues then its worth having a professional do them.
For example, consider doing them yourself if: your single or married & W-2 employee(s) and unable to itemize.
Get a professional if:
own a business (and talk to a CPA here)
itemize
buy and sell property such stocks, bonds & real estate (nightmare here)
have investment income such as rentals, dividends, interest, etc.
have inheritance problems.
have "losses"
have trust income
etc.
etc.
but what the f-ck do I know anyway ;) :rollside:
I wholeheartedly agree.
Turbo tax is fine if you only file 1040 and maybe with a schedule B, but anything more than that, have a pro do it. It is worth the money. Plus, if you ever have to go to court, they go for you.
We have used a CPA for 10+ years and he is worth his weight in gold. In addition, they tell you stategies for how to pay less next year. :cool:

HOOTER SLED-
01-05-2005, 02:58 PM
I've used the same CPA for the last several years. If I were you, I would just do my own and save a few bucks. If you have no kids, aren't married, don't own a house, etc..... 1040ez, quick and simple. Advantage to going to a CPA is you can get a return quicker by filing electronically. But I think you can do that now through the internet on your own too. Don't know, never used tax software. All I know is, I usually file the last week of January, and have the $$$ in my hands by the end of the first week of February. $$$$$

VelocityDriver
01-05-2005, 03:04 PM
TurboTax or TaxCut, can't remember

glh
01-05-2005, 05:00 PM
CPA and..... Yes dammit that Excursion takes a crap load of gas and costs $4,000 to insure....

Debbolas
01-05-2005, 05:05 PM
We've use the same CPA firm for the past 16 years :wink:

HCS
01-05-2005, 05:14 PM
We've use the same CPA firm for the past 16 years :wink:
Does he/she higher tax agents to do peoples taxes during the tax season like mine does. :notam:

spectratoad
01-05-2005, 08:11 PM
My dad does ours. Has for years. One of these days I will learn more about it just in case he decides to retire, again. :idea:

Debbolas
01-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Does he/she higher tax agents to do peoples taxes during the tax season like mine does. :notam:
I don't know, he is my sister in laws ex husband and very good at what he does, so I would think he would "carefully" do everyone from the family's taxes...........All of us go to him............ :D

riverbound
01-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Did you use:
D'angelo tax service ??????
Western tax service ??????
same company different names. They got busted of fraud and now are even operating under a different name but are located in the same building. I got audited for 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003. They told me they would help me out if I ever got audited and then when the time came they told me I was out of luck and that they would not even handle my audits for me. I dont know the new name they are operating under but it is in Yorba Linda in La Palma and Imperial. If anyone is thinking of using these people stay away!!! There was a big write up in the OC register about these people and their firm.
I deont know who I am going to use this year.

MsDrmr
01-05-2005, 08:41 PM
true, if you want to write things off you should consult a pro, however, mr I claim married 0 all year, and we have found that when we use write offs, we get much less back then when we dont, in avg it's a difference of $2,000.00 + (that is just our experience)