PDA

View Full Version : Need info about my Sanger

Sanger440
01-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Just bought a 76 Sanger with a 3 Speed (727) 440 Chrysler. Edelbrock timing cover and motor plates. All stock except carb?, 600 cfm... Was told that edelbrock might have built the engine... No stampings on the block ID pad near the distributor like chrysler did to them when they assembled their auto engines. Distributor is facotry chrysler electronic with a mech tach drive (cast iron). Bassett w.i. headers. Foot operated plaining tabs/cav plates? 3 blade prop. 48 4602A4 23P. Any help is much appreciated.
Tim

coolchange
01-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Should be a cast 440 on the side of the block if not could be 413 ( probably not) If it has adjustable rockers it should be the "good" RB(?) motor. Edelbrock made mounts and covers and ex manifolds for just about everything. Doesn't mean he had anything to do with "probably".
KV flat and some others are more into Mopar than me (But I've got a couple RB motors layin round) and they should chiMe in soon.
CRUISER?
FLAT?
PICS!
Welcome to the madness

Sanger440
01-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Pictures will come soon, maybe this weekend. 18.6 from what I measure, flat bottom. I've run the casting numbers on the side of the block and it is definately a 440. Pulled the valve cover off and it has hyd. rockers, Mr. Gasket head bolts. Edelbrock Single Plain manifold, MSD box. B&M Shifter inside the drivers gunnel, black knob, kinda slick. Needs a repaint bad. Any sites showing proper procedure to do a repaint on one of these? Paperwork shows that previous owner from Tenn. E-bay boat.

Kindsvater Flat
01-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Hot Damn!!! Possibly this motor might be a chrysler marine motor since its not stamped. Don't quote me on that. I also believe all RB motors came with hyd cams and only over the counter solids were available. I doubt edelbrock built the motor. Does it have all edelbrock motor mounts? With the valve covers off look for a casting # there. Depending on year they could be 452, 906, or the close chamber 915. 906 and 915 are the prefered head so they say. Can't wait for the pics so Brodie can see it.

72Hallett
01-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Sounds like a cool boat. I've heard bad things about the Mr. Gasket Head bolts. I'm no expert like some on these boards, but supposibly they are not heat treated and they strech. I ran them on my boat from 1991 to the end of last season when I blew a head gasket.

Sanger440
01-06-2005, 09:25 PM
The heads are 452's, which would be correct for a 76 engine assy. I have a set of 915's that will be going on later this winter. Edelbrock mounts, all lines except the water lines going to the oil coolers are SS with AN fittings, and from the look of the fittings, they have never been off of the engine, (no scars). The oil pan has a "sight glass" on the side of it. Two fittings with a clear plastic hose between them to show oil level.
Thanks for the tip on the Mr. Gasket bolts. I'll be replacing them too.
I'll try and shoot pictures tomorrow.
Thanks!

MoJetBoPar
01-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah, post pic's!! I wanna see more Mopar powered ***boats.
The 452's were late 75 (casting dates are 75 since prod. started in Sept 75)through the end of RB production (late 78 and into 79). The 452's flow as well as a 906 and they have hardened seats. The trick is to get good quench on those motors by "zero decking" the block (open chamber heads) or going to the 915 closed chamber heads. There's also a very common 63-67 closed chamber 516 that isn't so desirable due to a narrower dogleg in the intake port at the valve guide. Pre-67 heads had a flatter intake runner.
Most old V-drives and jets used passenger vehicle motors. Edelbrock made "marine" hardware but I'd be surprised if they actually assembled whole longblocks.
The old yachts like Century, Chris Craft, Owens and so on are what used the real "Chrysler Marine Division" stuff with the LH rotation for port side motors (boats w/2 engines). Typically boat anchor stuff that most here wouldn't waste time or $ on.
ALL "wedge" RB's are 2-bolt main.
Around 69 they added a thick casting rib longitudinally along the panrail to stiffen the lower end.
Early 440 blocks end with a "430" casting # for the last 3 digits. Good blocks.
On the opposite side "440" on the side of the block, there should be a casting date.
ALL 440's thru 72 (67-72) had forged steel cranks, the B-motor 383/400 got cast in 71. Alot of 71-73 4barrel 440's also got the heavy 6-pack rods.
A 600 cfm carb is pretty smallish, a 750 would add alot of power to the top-end.
My 68 Rayson Craft has a 69 440 with 67 915 heads.

wsuwrhr
01-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Cool another Mopar powered boat.
Should be stamped on the flat pad near the distributor. Block will also have the numbers cast into it on the side.
"RB" engines can also be determined by the amount of material "above" the upper water outlet bosses. "B" engines are surfaced right up to the boss, "RB" engines have about a half inch more material about the bolt hole, hense the higher deck for the increased stroke.
915 heads are the best in my opinion, as far as stock heads are concerned. Basically the are 906's with hardened ex seats. 452's are a good head also, but they are open chambered. Compression on "RB's" sucks a donkey's sweaty balls on a humid summer day with the open chambered heads.
8.5:1 or less.
ZERO deck is the key, Mopars really love a good bowl port, especially on the exhaust side.
The bottom ends are bullet proof, the block is real strong, but heavy, if you get into the motor, use external oiling or enlarge the pickup to 1/2.
They make pretty good power.
Brian

wsuwrhr
01-06-2005, 10:26 PM
All stock?
Iron manifold?
Ditch the manifold, get a victor or comparable, and an 850. That 440 can suck that 600 down the manifold.
Brian

MoJetBoPar
01-07-2005, 06:47 AM
Ooooooow, good point, "all stock"! That would mean very low compression. And in the 75-78 era it was 7.8-8.2 at best. The closed chamber heads with the thin steel head gasket still aren't going to get you up where you'd want to be. Low 9's with milling.
In his 2nd post he mentioned having a Edelbrock single-plane.

wsuwrhr
01-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Edelbrock Single Plain manifold, Needs a repaint bad. Any sites showing proper procedure to do a repaint on one of these?
10-4
Copy that good buddy.
Definitely look into another carb.
Billy B is a member of these boards and he posts paint question in the
"how to" forum.
Brian

Sanger440
01-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Here are a few shots of the Sanger.

wsuwrhr
01-07-2005, 09:12 PM
I like it.
Someone with the spirit to run with the little guy.
Brian

Jake W2
01-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Cool project, where you going to run it?
Jake

BGMAN203
01-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Maybe good ole Brodie knows something about your boat. He seems to be hip on sangers!

wsuwrhr
01-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey Jake and Sanger440, you guys are neighbors.(Just stating the obvious)
If you need any marine parts made down the line for your 440 boat, I may be able to help you out.
Brian

wsuwrhr
01-07-2005, 09:20 PM
BGman, I may just have something for you this season.
CA'MONNNNNNN
Brian

FlatStupid
01-07-2005, 09:26 PM
CA'MONNNNNNN
Brian Brian have you seen a Snager with my name on it? The painter guy is technologically(sp) challenged you know! :D :D A "snapshot" or two would be way cool! Next time your around Mouze.... I mean BB's shop! :rollside: :p

BGMAN203
01-07-2005, 09:38 PM
CA'MONNNNNNN
Brian
What do you mean, another hitch cover?

Sanger440
01-08-2005, 07:08 AM
Jake, I'm sure I run it in the Mississippi, which is about 15 minutes away. I spoke with some members of the St. Louis Drag Boat Assn., they have some meets (5) around the area and maybe one in IL. Where do you recommend I take it?

wsuwrhr
01-08-2005, 07:37 AM
What do you mean, another hitch cover?
No pal, I have a flat for your a ss. :argue: :)
Brian

wsuwrhr
01-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Brian have you seen a Snager with my name on it? The painter guy is technologically(sp) challenged you know! :D :D A "snapshot" or two would be way cool! Next time your around Mouze.... I mean BB's shop! :rollside: :p
Your boat is the one I am building rigging and parts for right?
It is so hard to keep track of who is who. :supp: :supp:
She is comming along, as far as pictures go, how much money you got? :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Brian

BILLY.B
01-08-2005, 07:58 AM
The painter guy is technologically(sp) challenged you know! And the paint gun just got harder to figure out also. NICE move chief trying to get the fab guy involved :)

Jetboatguru
01-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Brian have you seen a Snager with my name on it? The painter guy is technologically(sp) challenged you know! :D :D A "snapshot" or two would be way cool! Next time your around Mouze.... I mean BB's shop! :rollside: :p
Ouch!!! That was is gonna sting a little! :cool:

FlatStupid
01-08-2005, 09:01 AM
And the paint gun just got harder to figure out also. NICE move chief trying to get the fab guy involved :) Gosh just when we were havin fun ya get all sensitive on me! :boxingguy :D

dossangers
01-08-2005, 05:10 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9000 http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9002 Im diggin this shifter tony any ideas for the K?

Jetboatguru
01-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Wayne, that thing is like having 3 on the tree

Jake W2
01-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Sanger 440 I boat at Lake of the Ozarkes up way up river away from all the 40 foot Fountians and Skaters.It is about the 79 mile marker lots of gas/eating places around in there.the curent is not to bad if at all at times and the water is all most glass other than the 3 big week ends plenty of coves to get away from boat trafic.I have seen and talked to a few v drivers up in the area they do not get them out much but fun to watch when they do.There is a few of us with jets in the area to.There is a place to put in up by the dam it is called The Harbor(I think) nice ramp and a no wake cove and will cost you nothing to put in there probely less than 2 miles away there is a restrant nad gas filling place on the water.There is alot of nice places in the Ozarkes but the less the number the bigger the boats get.We are out there most every other weekend in the summer my fauther in law has a water front house on the lake with a dock.You see more and more gayliners and queenlines
out there evey year it woulkd be good to get some guys down there with a real custom boats.I have never had a problem with noise from open headers ect.
Jake

Jake W2
01-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Here is a pic of a Sat in probely june or july in front of the lake house?It was a littel rough that day :D In this pic is my old 77 bubbledeck Tahiti.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/82back.jpg
Jake

Sanger440
01-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Jake, I grew up on th Lake in the summer time, so coming up there is not a problem if there is a place for us. Sundays and Mondays as that are the days I have off. If there is a place on the Lake for us, I'll be there. Tell me where to put in at.
BTW, kick ass boat you have.

Jake W2
01-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Sanger440 there is two places plus a camp ground with in 1/4 mile or less from where the lake house is and all of them have there own ramps and docks.I will get the names and numbers if you like.
I sold the Orange Tahiti to a guy that knows the guy that I had it painted by so it's in Oklahoma now.I should have my 18 gullwing ready this summer it is just a mater of putting it all togeather it ought to be more of a thrill ride than the Tahiti. :)
There is a guy witha black and blue Sanger V drive out there really nice looking boat.Its nothing new to see him run it on the cav plate and the prop fin out of the water.I have not seen him much the last year but I am sure it is still around.And a few others that say they are putting one togeather in that area?we'll see.
Jake

Sanger440
01-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Jake, sure, get me the phone numbers. Very used to camping. What about some resorts in the area?
Tim

Kim Hanson
01-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Just bought a 76 Sanger with a 3 Speed (727) 440 Chrysler. Edelbrock timing cover and motor plates. All stock except carb?, 600 cfm... Was told that edelbrock might have built the engine... No stampings on the block ID pad near the distributor like chrysler did to them when they assembled their auto engines. Distributor is facotry chrysler electronic with a mech tach drive (cast iron). Bassett w.i. headers. Foot operated plaining tabs/cav plates? 3 blade prop. 48 4602A4 23P. Any help is much appreciated.
Tim
My engine isn't stamped where its suppose to be either, good luck with it!........( . )( . ).....

Flat Happy
01-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Cool boat Sanger440! That shifter is bad ass :cool: