PDA

View Full Version : Boat Troubles..........again

wright27
04-19-2006, 08:03 AM
Finished my winter project (78 challenger). Took the boat to Castaic yesterday. Dropped it in the water checked for leakes, found two small ones, no big deal. Turned the key, turned over fine. Went to turn the key again and nothing. I have brand new battery. Jumped the starter solenoid and boat turned over just fine but nothing with the key. Got it started drove the boat around for about an hour or so ran great, put it back on the trailer. In the parking lot turned over fine 4 different times. Went home the boat turned over with no problem and did a compresion check (turned up 100 psi in every cylinder is that good seems kinda low to me, but they were all the same).I was thinking new starter. What could it be.

IMPATIENT 1
04-19-2006, 08:19 AM
Finished my winter project (78 challenger). Took the boat to Castaic yesterday. Dropped it in the water checked for leakes, found two small ones, no big deal. Turned the key, turned over fine. Went to turn the key again and nothing. I have brand new battery. Jumped the starter solenoid and boat turned over just fine but nothing with the key. Got it started drove the boat around for about an hour or so ran great, put it back on the trailer. In the parking lot turned over fine 4 different times. Went home the boat turned over with no problem and did a compresion check (turned up 100 psi in every cylinder is that good seems kinda low to me, but they were all the same).I was thinking new starter. What could it be.
100 PSI IS FINE.SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE DISHED PISTONS OR FLAT TOPS IN IT.CHECK THE CONNECTIONS AT THE IGNITION SWITCH AND STARTER.COULD BE A STICKY SOLENOID TOO. ARE YOU HEARING A CLICK WHEN IT WON'T TURN OVER?

wright27
04-19-2006, 08:33 AM
100 PSI IS FINE.SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE DISHED PISTONS OR FLAT TOPS IN IT.CHECK THE CONNECTIONS AT THE IGNITION SWITCH AND STARTER.COULD BE A STICKY SOLENOID TOO. ARE YOU HEARING A CLICK WHEN IT WON'T TURN OVER?
No click at all, just nothing.

Taylorman
04-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Make sure you are getting power to your solenoid when you turn they key. If so, have the starter/solenoid checked out. Bring it to a place that rebuilds starters, not to an auto parts store.

502 JET
04-19-2006, 08:47 AM
If it is cranking when you jump the starter the starter is fine.Look at your ignition switch and wiring.Wire terminals can corrode and give you an intermittent problem.It could be a loose crimped wire.

IMPATIENT 1
04-19-2006, 08:50 AM
No click at all, just nothing.
NEXT TIME IT DOES IT, CHECK THE S TERMINAL AT THE STARTER FOR VOLTAGE WITH A TEST LITE. IF ITS GOT VOLTAGE,WIGGLE THE HEAVY GAUGE POSITIVE CABLE FROM YOUR BATTERY,IF ALL CONNECTIONS AT STARTER/BATTERY ARE GOOD,GIVE THE STARTER A LITTLE SMACK ON THE SOLENOID AND SEE WHAT IT DOES.REMEMBER TO CHECK GROUNDS TOO!!

Tresguey
04-19-2006, 09:41 AM
It may be your ignition switch itself. This happened to me a few times. Even with a new switch. or loose connections on the back of it.

502 JET
04-19-2006, 10:11 AM
It may be your ignition switch itself. This happened to me a few times. Even with a new switch. or loose connections on the back of it.
Over the years I have a few ignition switches go bad.They can corrode internally from condensation or the contacts just wear out.Also if you run too many amps draw thru the switch it wont last too long.If you dont see any problems replace your ignition switch.$20.00 is a cheap price for peace of mind.
My fishing boat started cranking and fired up one night all by its self due to a bad ignition switch.Now I make sure to shut off the batteries.It was a good thing I was there when it did this and that no damage was done.

GUGS102
04-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Over the years I have a few ignition switches go bad.They can corrode internally from condensation or the contacts just wear out.Also if you run too many amps draw thru the switch it wont last too long.If you dont see any problems replace your ignition switch.$20.00 is a cheap price for peace of mind.
My fishing boat started cranking and fired up one night all by its self due to a bad ignition switch.Now I make sure to shut off the batteries.It was a good thing I was there when it did this and that no damage was done.
Maybe the boat thinks you ar a lously fisherman and it was trying to make a break for it. Must have been a little wired to hear it running when you walked out there..

502 JET
04-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Maybe the boat thinks you ar a lously fisherman and it was trying to make a break for it. Must have been a little wired to hear it running when you walked out there..
We were sitting around drinking and pretty F-up ran out with a bat thought some one was in the boat was ready to beat them but no one around.They only have ghosts in the movies.I try to treat my boats like an airplane:IE:If it quits running you fall out of the sky.