PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Gate Damn In La Canada

Hallett19
01-10-2005, 11:46 AM
I dont know if anyone is familiar with La Canada (pronounced la canyada) but there is a dam below JPL that is always empty and with this sweet rain we have been getting, the thing is full to the max and in fact is spilling over the dam overflow chanels in the dam walls and is making a damn waterfall under the damn 210 freeway ;) It is a cool site to check out if anyone is in the area. I'm going to be launching the Hallett as soon as the rain subsides for a few to get some wakeboarding in with some guys from the office :D maybe.... But I have never seen it so damn full !! DAMN!!!

LUVNLIFE
01-10-2005, 11:48 AM
The way that damn is shaped I bet it's a cool sight. Would be a site to see. ;)

Havasu_Dreamin
01-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Saw that this morning. Pretty cool site indeed. I've never seen it overflow that much before.

Community
01-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Somebody PM me and I will forward the e-mail I have with pics for you to post.

Kim Hanson
01-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Somebody PM me and I will forward the e-mail I have with pics for you to post.
Send them to me at kbhanson@telusplanet.net ..........( . )( . ).......... :idea:

jackpunx
01-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Ive never seen much water in that..its pretty deep..

Havasu_Dreamin
01-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Here are two of the pics. These two show the overflow the best, IMHO. The headlights off to the right in the second pic are vehicles travelling Westbound on the 210 freeway.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6143Devils_Gate_1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6143Devils_Gate_2.jpg

Kilrtoy
01-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Awsome, never even saw a drop of water there

1978 Rogers
01-10-2005, 12:20 PM
The people are all dressed like they live in Washington State. Cool picture. How much rain has fallen down there? Have you already gotten your yearly total? :D

Havasu_Dreamin
01-10-2005, 12:23 PM
This pic shows the area behind the dam. This area is usally dry. I would estimate that it is anywhere from 12-15 deep in some areas based on this picture.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6143Devils_Gate_3.jpg

BoatFloating
01-10-2005, 12:24 PM
The last 2 storms brought 10-1 inches in 2 days. Most places are over their season totals already and the season isn't over till July. Normal for my area is 13" and we have 16" already and another big one coming today...... :2purples:

Hallett19
01-10-2005, 12:27 PM
you guys beat me too it, but those pictures are awesome. Alot of you live around here ha ? I work 2 min. away from there in La Canada.

LHC30Victory
01-10-2005, 12:29 PM
any homeless eradication going on with that water?

Hallett19
01-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I remember in high school at saint francis there was a dude named Bill who used to ask us for drugs and alcohol all the time, we never had any, but he asked us anyways. There are a few homeless guys there who hang out near the frisbee golf course, hippies who love frisbee golf who never left probably :)

JB in so cal
01-10-2005, 12:36 PM
I remember a few years ago, we were out in Vegas - no boat - and this storm popped out and surprised everyone - huge water. Well, I guess there is this area that the homeless like to hang out at near the lake - only problem is it's a wash area that drains into the lake from the valley. Everyone got out, I think, but all of the pi** and sh** from everyone living there got into the lake and caused a shut down of Las Vegas Marina area.
Yummy!

Havasu_Dreamin
01-10-2005, 12:37 PM
I've never seen anyone living down in there. There is a city of Pasadena park off to the left in the last pic but I don't know if any homeless people live there or not.

1978 Rogers
01-10-2005, 12:39 PM
The last 2 storms brought 10-1 inches in 2 days. Most places are over their season totals already and the season isn't over till July. Normal for my area is 13" and we have 16" already and another big one coming today...... :2purples:
Does all this water get stored for summer use or just slowed down on its way to the Pacific?

Havasu_Dreamin
01-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Does all this water get stored for summer use or just slowed down on its way to the Pacific?
Most of it makes it way to the Pacific. So. Cal is not really set up to handle and store this amount of water. Some does get stored, but not as much as probably could be.

jackpunx
01-10-2005, 12:43 PM
you guys beat me too it, but those pictures are awesome. Alot of you live around here ha ? I work 2 min. away from there in La Canada.
Yea.. I work in old pasadena .. lets go to lunch.. they have a hooters down the steet :D

Hallett19
01-10-2005, 12:47 PM
They definitley dont save it for anything, I'm curious to see what happens with all of it and how long it actually stays in there. I think last time it rained alot, it got about half way full and it just drained out by itself after a few weeks. I dont think its a good idea to save it there, all the jetfuel from JPL supposedly is seeped into the ground and some weird cases of cancer in younger people have popped up from people that grew up in that area.

Hallett19
01-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Yea.. I work in old pasadena .. lets go to lunch.. they have a hooters down the steet :D
I love getting pitchers (plural) at hooters when games are on. There is a new hooters in Burbank that is pretty cool, I dont know if the talent is up to par as the pasadena one. My ex used to work there for a while at the pasadena one. We should do a little mid day get together when the weather gets better :cool:

1978 Rogers
01-10-2005, 12:50 PM
It's just a waste to see all that water go back to the ocean. But if its contaminated, it no good.

jackpunx
01-10-2005, 12:59 PM
I love getting pitchers (plural) at hooters when games are on. There is a new hooters in Burbank that is pretty cool, I dont know if the talent is up to par as the pasadena one. My ex used to work there for a while at the pasadena one. We should do a little mid day get together when the weather gets better :cool:
Any time.. we all still got to eat even when the weather sux.. :D

rrrr
01-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Here are two of the pics. These two show the overflow the best, IMHO. The headlights off to the right in the second pic are vehicles travelling Westbound on the 210 freeway.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6143Devils_Gate_2.jpg
I see you folks in California aren't smart enough to come inside when it's raining. :D :D

Hallett19
01-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Any time.. we all still got to eat even when the weather sux.. :D
Yeah, but its alot of fun when its nice and sunny and we can go get some beer at hooters sitting on the outside patio with all the harleys parked out front and then walk across the street and work our buzz off playing some pool at Q's.
But if you ever get a crew together, let me know, I'm always down to roll out for a drink !

j-rod
01-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Hallett 19
Oak Grove Park..... All the druggies and homeless used to hang out there. I grew up in LC and my parents still live there. I think in 33 years, I have seen maybe 3 homeless people in La Canada. Sounds like you possibly grew up in LC as well???? On my up to LC now, will check out the dam on the way.
Mrs. J-Rod

Hallett19
01-10-2005, 03:23 PM
I went to saint francis and I had alot of friends that went to LC and I will play the occasional game of frisbee golf over there at the park, but I grew up in pasadena and currently live near the rose bowl, so I live close. But there are a few transients there, only one that I have noticed recently but that one I knew that hung out there in highschool was a trip, he was a crazy vet guy who was $hit faced drunk all day, much like myself on river trips.... :D Its a nice area and I like working up here.

jackpunx
01-10-2005, 03:26 PM
I went to CV and Hoover..

Hallett19
01-10-2005, 03:31 PM
I went to CV and Hoover..
why in God's good name would you go from CV, land of loose hotties to Hoover... which is very... well, I have some choice adjectives for Hoover that I should not share in a public forum :D

jackpunx
01-10-2005, 03:34 PM
why in God's good name would you go from CV, land of loose hotties to Hoover... which is very... well, I have some choice adjectives for Hoover that I should not share in a public forum :D
LMAO.. it was the other way around..

Hallett19
01-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Oh good, that must have been a breath of fresh air !!

Spotondl
01-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Not sure if it is still there but there was a rock climbing spot there called Pillars. Basically a bunch of rocks bondo'd to the concrete freeway support pillars, hence the name... used to go climbing there often back in my climbing days... Always fun to hang out under the 210 freeway, in the shade, looking up at that dam...

Dr. Eagle
01-10-2005, 10:53 PM
ALl I can say is ....... Damn!

j-rod
01-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Hallett 19
What year did you graduate St. Francis? Migght have some friends in common.
Mrs. J-Rod

totenhosen
01-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Hallett 19
What year did you graduate St. Francis? Migght have some friends in common.
Mrs. J-Rod
I second that. I went to La Salle.
Has anyone seen Santa Fe Dam area and the run off into taht place. It looked like the Colorado River yesterday.