PDA

View Full Version : Lake Piru Level, Paging Rev. Williams

Brooski
01-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Lake Piru is supposed to spill over sometime tonight. The lake filled up in 3 days with these rains. Just amazing. Town of Piru has been evacuated due to flooding from Piru Creek when the lake overflows. At least we will have 2 launch ramps to use this year, also at Naci. Its gonna be a great summer.
:cool:

Brooski
01-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Just remember that right now some people are going to be suffering with this rain. I understand exactly what you are saying though
I agree with you, and did not mean to sound insensitive to the problems people are facing. I feel for them. I spent 6 hours today shoveling mud for some friends who are flood victims. I may be doing it tomorrow also.
Back to the original subject, the Sheriffs Dept just reported the dam has started to spill over. Could be very dangerous with the amount of water pouring over.

bunny 166
01-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Does Rev. Williams live out there??? :confused:

Brooski
01-11-2005, 12:03 AM
No, I dont think he lives close to it, but if I remember correctly, he was at the lake alot this last summer. Thought he might be interested in the latest events at the lake. It was really low this summer, and its shocking that it filled so fast. The picture of my Southwind on the left was at Piru this summer.

bunny 166
01-11-2005, 12:05 AM
No, I dont think he lives close to it, but if I remember correctly, he was at the lake alot this last summer. Thought he might be interested in the latest events at the lake. It was really low this summer, and its shocking that it filled so fast. The picture of my Southwind on the left was at Piru this summer.
Wow! Scary stuff--hopefully everyone got enough warning and got the hell outta dodge...... :(

Boy Named Sue
01-11-2005, 12:14 AM
I just talked to my sis in Simi Valley, just south of Piru. They're getting hammered down there, her swimming pool and backyard are full of mud from the hillside, the hillside that burned this summer in the fire. Streets are rivers, etc. Keyword - mud.

bunny 166
01-11-2005, 12:18 AM
I just talked to my sis in Simi Valley, just south of Piru. They're getting hammered down there, her swimming pool and backyard are full of mud from the hillside, the hillside that burned this summer in the fire. Streets are rivers, etc. Keyword - mud.
I hope she and her family are safe tonight... :clover: :clover:

Boy Named Sue
01-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Yeah they're ok. I don't think the hillside is unstable, just runoff from the burn. So Cal is seeing 100 year rainfall totals and its just too much water.

plaster dave
01-11-2005, 12:45 AM
The day I bought my boat we went to piru here is a pic of how low it is.

Mrs.Racer277
01-11-2005, 05:24 AM
You are correct the Rev. is in Simi.

JetBoatRich
01-11-2005, 06:00 AM
You are correct the Rev. is in Simi.
Correction, he lives in the S.F.V. :D Northridge

Mrs.Racer277
01-11-2005, 06:04 AM
Thanks Rich! :D I guess I should not try to think before my morning coffee. :coffeycup :coffeycup

Brooski
01-11-2005, 08:40 AM
According to news reports, it spilled over at 9:30 last night, but there have been no flooding problems from it so far. Thanks for the info on the Rev. I have not met him yet, but look forward to meeting alot of you this season. :cool:

Rev. Williams
01-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Here I am :D :D
Great news about Piru ! When I heard on another thread just a few weeks ago that Piru was empty I called them non-stop and never talked to a soul. So I thought it could be true. And now to hear this!! Great New!!!! :D :D :D
Piru has been hurting for water for 3 years now, after my last trip in September the water was 90' down :eek:
I just hope they manage the water and it stays in there for the summer.
As for the town below, it's a good ways away and the river valley can hold a fair amount of water before flooding the small town. But on a positive thought, it's a dirty little TJ kinda town anyways...could stand a good cleaning !!! :D :D
And thanks for the clarification Rich.... Dia's cute, but she's still a blonde!! :D :D

Mrs.Racer277
01-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Here I am :D :D
Great news about Piru ! When I heard on another thread just a few weeks ago that Piru was empty I called them non-stop and never talked to a soul. So I thought it could be true. And now to hear this!! Great New!!!! :D :D :D
Piru has been hurting for water for 3 years now, after my last trip in September the water was 90' down :eek:
I just hope they manage the water and it stays in there for the summer.
As for the town below, it's a good ways away and the river valley can hold a fair amount of water before flooding the small town. But on a positive thought, it's a dirty little TJ kinda town anyways...could stand a good cleaning !!! :D
And thanks for the clarification Rich.... Dia's cute, but she's still a blonde!! :D :D
Hey no blonde jokes this early in the am.. And BTW what do I owe you???? I have not forgotten. :D

bunny 166
01-11-2005, 09:12 AM
And thanks for the clarification Rich.... Dia's cute, but she's still a blonde!!

Rev. Williams
01-11-2005, 09:24 AM
And thanks for the clarification Rich.... Dia's cute, but she's still a blonde!!

LUVNLIFE
01-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Hey Jerry they were talking to a council person in Piru on the news and she did mention that they get water from Pyramid. Guess that answers our question. ;)

Rev. Williams
01-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Really?? I guess somehow it trickles down Piru Creek. But why then is Pyramid always full and Piru was 90' down??
And a even more important question is Why aren't you at work today???? The rain has stopped!! :D :D :D

LUVNLIFE
01-11-2005, 09:37 AM
The way she made it sound was that it was runoff when Pyramid got real full. Maybe someone here knows the details.
I went outside the house at 4am and it was sprinkling and looked like it was still coming in. Called the crew then jumped back in bed. :D

Rev. Williams
01-11-2005, 09:41 AM
The way she made it sound was that it was runoff when Pyramid got real full. Maybe someone here knows the details.
I went outside the house at 4am and it was sprinkling and looked like it was still coming in. Called the crew then jumped back in bed. :D
Nice..... You're really gonna start pissing off those Fed Ex and UPS drivers soon :D :D :D

LUVNLIFE
01-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Come to think of it nothings been delivered for a while :confused:

Mrs.Racer277
01-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Come to think of it nothings been delivered for a while :confused:
She had them all re routed to my house since Sean has been gone. ;) ;)

LUVNLIFE
01-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Damn bet there's no parking on that street :D

Rev. Williams
01-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Damn bet there's no parking on that street :D
She's gonna need a PARKING LOT !!! :D :D :D

Mrs.Racer277
01-11-2005, 09:54 AM
She's gonna need a PARKING LOT !!! :D :D :D
OMG please stop... I am laughing so hard I am crying. No more playing games with you until 4:30 am. :lightsabe :D

Rev. Williams
01-11-2005, 09:57 AM
OMG please stop... I am laughing so hard I am crying. No more playing games with you until 4:30 am. :lightsabe :D
I'm sorry.... I'm frikin rolling also :D :D :D Now I need to work for a bit.

Mrs Luvnlife
01-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Nice..... You're really gonna start pissing off those Fed Ex and UPS drivers soon :D :D :D
It's okay, I get my packages delivered while en-route to picking up Kiara from school....I run into them...I mean they run into me one way or another!! :D Or I just send Luvnlife out to run errands and have the packages delivered at that time.....trust me, I'm no dummy!! :hammer2: :D :D

Rev. Williams
01-11-2005, 11:02 AM
It's okay, I get my packages delivered while en-route to picking up Kiara from school....I run into them...I mean they run into me one way or another!! :D Or I just send Luvnlife out to run errands and have the packages delivered at that time.....trust me, I'm no dummy!! :hammer2: :D :D
I hear those guys have bad brakes..... Carefull or you just might get Rear-Ended !! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D

Brooski
01-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Really?? I guess somehow it trickles down Piru Creek. But why then is Pyramid always full and Piru was 90' down??
:D :D :D
The answer to the question is......
Pyramid is on Piru Creek, so when it spills, it goes straight into Piru. On the USGS website, the listing for Piru Creek has both lakes listed.
As for the levels, Pyramid has water pumped into it from the State Water System, aka Aquaduct. Then they pump the water from Pyramid either into Castaic Lake or other resevoirs for consumption by the residents of LA County. They add and subtract water from Pyramid on a daily basis, but they usually dont let it spill over. This week, they had no choice. Once or twice a year, they will let water flow to Piru, to be released into the ground aquafiers near Ventura.
So if Pyramid dam ever fails, Piru and the rest of the Santa Clara River Valley is a gonner. ;)

Rev. Williams
01-11-2005, 01:48 PM
The answer to the question is......
Pyramid is on Piru Creek, so when it spills, it goes straight into Piru. On the USGS website, the listing for Piru Creek has both lakes listed.
As for the levels, Pyramid has water pumped into it from the State Water System, aka Aquaduct. Then they pump the water from Pyramid either into Castaic Lake or other resevoirs for consumption by the residents of LA County. They add and subtract water from Pyramid on a daily basis, but they usually dont let it spill over. This week, they had no choice. Once or twice a year, they will let water flow to Piru, to be released into the ground aquafiers near Ventura.
So if Pyramid dam ever fails, Piru and the rest of the Santa Clara River Valley is a gonner. ;)
That makes sense.... I guess. But now I'm going to research it more and get some pics.

LUVNLIFE
01-11-2005, 02:28 PM
There's our answer Jerry. Thank You Brooski

flat broke
01-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Rev,
I hope your right about Piru managing the water differently, but its primary use is not recreation. It is used for irrigation water and for saltwater abatement to the Ventura area water tables. They let the freshwater from Piru flow down the valley and settle into the ground to dilute/neutralize the saltwater that encroaches from the sea.
Chris

Brooski
01-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Rev,
I hope your right about Piru managing the water differently, but its primary use is not recreation. It is used for irrigation water and for saltwater abatement to the Ventura area water tables. They let the freshwater from Piru flow down the valley and settle into the ground to dilute/neutralize the saltwater that encroaches from the sea.
Chris
Chris is absolutely correct. The only thing we do have going for us this year is that with this much rain, the water tables should be high, and the river will be flowing enough naturally that they should not need to release very much from Piru this year. Overhead pictures of the lake were on the news last night. Chocolate milk.
Chris, do you ever make it up to Piru?

Brooski
01-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Now that the lake is full, we should plan a get together at Piru one day. Up where the creek comes into the lake. That way we can beach the boats, throw some shoes, and have room for lots of people. Way up there is really cool when the lake is full. :D :D :D :D

hack job
01-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Now that the lake is full, we should plan a get together at Piru one day. Up where the creek comes into the lake. That way we can beach the boats, throw some shoes, and have room for lots of people. Way up there is really cool when the lake is full. :D :D :D :D
about two years ago we went almost every other weekend it was a great place to spend the day and hang ou in the cove and relax and have good time then the water started droping so much it wasnt possible to hang out in the cove. i would assume that we will spending more time up there this year!! ;)

plaster dave
01-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Well if the water stays up all summer alot of people from castic will be there. :D

Rev. Williams
01-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Well if the water stays up all summer alot of people from castic will be there. :D
But the best part is that the "LAKE LICE" from Castaic can't come onto Piru!! So the docks won't be covered in Dumb Phucks!!!

Brooski
01-12-2005, 04:49 PM
about two years ago we went almost every other weekend it was a great place to spend the day and hang ou in the cove and relax and have good time then the water started droping so much it wasnt possible to hang out in the cove. i would assume that we will spending more time up there this year!! ;)
Awesome! I didnt realize people would drive so far to go there. I am lucky, I am only 20 minutes away. Lots of beer has been consumed in that cove. I will keep an eye on the water for when the debris goes away for jet boaters. :)

JustMVG
01-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Is there a link to check out the RV camping and does anyone know the max RV length allowed there?
MikeVG

Rev. Williams
01-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Is there a link to check out the RV camping and does anyone know the max RV length allowed there?
MikeVG
Here ya go..... http://www.lake-piru.org/
I've seen some 35' coaches in the campground, so whatever you have should be fine.

JustMVG
01-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Thanks Rev. appreciate it by the picture it looks like they have no limit, i have a 36 footer and want to be able to go and camp, looks like we'll be headed out there this season.

racecardrvr44
01-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Also for those interested in the fishing sort of life or my favorite the local tow testing lakes. That would be those that don't allow body contact. :burningm: Word from some friends in Ojai is Lake Casitas is way up. Sunken Island is sunken again which means it gained at least 15-20 feet. Also further north Lake Cachuma is also spilling. Got some pics at both lakes at their low point will be interested to get some when full. Now all I gotta do is wait for the crap to sink and for the lakes to clear. :D

Brooski
01-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Also for those interested in the fishing sort of life or my favorite the local tow testing lakes. That would be those that don't allow body contact. :burningm: Word from some friends in Ojai is Lake Casitas is way up. Sunken Island is sunken again which means it gained at least 15-20 feet. Also further north Lake Cachuma is also spilling. Got some pics at both lakes at their low point will be interested to get some when full. Now all I gotta do is wait for the crap to sink and for the lakes to clear. :D
I am amazed that Casitas rose that much also. I was just up there a month ago, it was real low. It was spooky, the entire lake was glass, at 1 in the afternoon. Only saw 3 other boats on it that day, and 2 of 'em were jets :D