PDA

View Full Version : photo chop or not

carreraboat
01-11-2005, 07:48 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/362wall_of_water-med.jpg
I had this emailed to me by a freind. it is a pic of tsunami, if this is not a photo chop, that is unbelievable. With that kinda of wave it kinda makes it more understandable

Powerquestboy
01-11-2005, 07:50 AM
definitley a photo chop! Tsunami's dont come in as a wave. THere is actually no such thing as a Tidel wave from what I understand. It comes in exactly like the rising tide......but it just keeps coming.

spectratoad
01-11-2005, 07:51 AM
By looking at the fuzz along the highway I will go with CHOP. :D Looks like Hong Kong.

SoCalOffshore
01-11-2005, 08:03 AM
photo chop. Tsunamis typically top out at 30 feet.

JetBoatRich
01-11-2005, 08:04 AM
no doubt, it is a chop :notam:

RiverOtter
01-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Chop, see www.snopes.com

Kilrtoy
01-11-2005, 08:08 AM
THAT IS NOT A PHOTO CHOP
LOOK CLOSER AND YOU CAN EVEN SE A CRAZY SURFER
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524tsunami-surfer.jpg

carreraboat
01-11-2005, 08:17 AM
lmao :D

Wicky
01-11-2005, 08:30 AM
definitley a photo chop! Tsunami's dont come in as a wave. THere is actually no such thing as a Tidel wave from what I understand. It comes in exactly like the rising tide......but it just keeps coming.
Tidal waves do occur. Two a day. Right off the coast of SoCal.
Everytime the tide comes in it is considered to be a tidal wave.
When I was in Blackpool, England there was truly a noticeable tidal wave. A small wall of water that would move in from nearly a mile out twice daily.
They would sound the alarms everytime the tide would come in.
I did, however, enjoy all the news stations that immediately concluded that it was a Tidal wave that hit Indo and surrounding areas.
Anbody notice that Burma hasn't reported much of anything and they are in the heart of the carnage??
Wicky

HBjet
01-11-2005, 10:36 AM
There is actually no such thing as a Tidel wave from what I understand. It comes in exactly like the rising tide......but it just keeps coming.
Isn't Tsunami and Tidal Wave basically the same thing? Anyways, I just watch this show about Mega Tsunami's. They don't occur from earthquakes underwater, but from huge landslides. Imagine 900 million tons of rock sliding into the ocean all at once! Thats going to create a wave hundreds of feet tall. These don't happen as often, but they do happen, and its only a matter of when the next one will occur. Could be another 1000 or more years, but then next one scientist are predicting will happen on an island off the atlantic coast of Africa. I'm not going to get into there studies, but they predict a land slide of rock in the Trillions of tons to slide into the ocean, sending a wave as high as 1000ft traveling across the atlantic to the eastern seaboard in 8 hours washing 12 miles inland. We won't be around when this happens, but its pretty amazing to think about. Gotta love the Discovery Channel :eek:
HBjet

Sleek-Jet
01-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Isn't Tsunami and Tidal Wave basically the same thing? Anyways, I just watch this show about Mega Tsunami's. They don't occur from earthquakes underwater, but from huge landslides. Imagine 900 million tons of rock sliding into the ocean all at once! Thats going to create a wave hundreds of feet tall. These don't happen as often, but they do happen, and its only a matter of when the next one will occur. Could be another 1000 or more years, but then next one scientist are predicting will happen on an island off the atlantic coast of Africa. I'm not going to get into there studies, but they predict a land slide of rock in the Trillions of tons to slide into the ocean, sending a wave as high as 1000ft traveling across the atlantic to the eastern seaboard in 8 hours washing 12 miles inland. We won't be around when this happens, but its pretty amazing to think about. Gotta love the Discovery Channel :eek:
HBjet
I saw the same programs... :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67790

Wicky
01-11-2005, 11:19 AM
HBjet
Not exactly HB. Yes, some Tsunamis are from landslides but, why did the landslide occur? To create a landslide of a proportion big enough to cause a tsunami is a direct result of an earthquake!
Most tsunamis are a result of the lifting of one of the two plates in a vertical manner. Oceanography was one of the subjects I paid attention to in college!!
And this recent tsunami was a result of one plate lifting not a landslide.
Wicky

HBjet
01-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Not exactly HB. Yes, some Tsunamis are from landslides but, why did the landslide occur? To create a landslide of a proportion big enough to cause a tsunami is a direct result of an earthquake!
Most tsunamis are a result of the lifting of one of the two plates in a vertical manner. Oceanography was one of the subjects I paid attention to in college!!
And this recent tsunami was a result of one plate lifting not a landslide.
Wicky
I'm aware of what caused this latest Tsunami, but I'm talking about a Mega Tsunami which is much larger then a Tsunami caused by an underwater earthguake (which can only reach a height of about 33-35 feet)
As for your statement "to create a landslide of a proportion big enough to cause a Tsunami is a direct result of an earthquake" Well, you are wrong. Island Volcano's + gravity would be the major cause for such a large landslide of rock into the ocean. I'm sure a large enough earthquake would cause one too.
HBjet :)

Ziggy
01-11-2005, 12:02 PM
HBjet
Saw the same program..mostly that talked about how and why any particular tsunami is as large as it is and why. Landslides can cause larger waves because of the amount of displacement.
Saw a show some time ago that talked about why they found seashells on some higher elevations on Australia...they concluded with findings that a whole side of one Hawaiin island/volcano collapsed into the ocean and caused a tidal flow that reached the Aussie island and deposited those ocean artifacts so high.

HBjet
01-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Here is a little bit of what the show was talking about. Interesting for sure...
Scientists now realise that the greatest danger comes from large volcanic islands, which are particularly prone to these massive landslides. Geologists began to look for evidence of past landslides on the sea bed, and what they saw astonished them. The sea floor around Hawaii, for instance, was covered with the remains of millions of years’ worth of ancient landslides, colossal in size.
But huge landslides and the mega-tsunami that they cause are extremely rare - the last one happened 4,000 years ago on the island of Réunion. The growing concern is that the ideal conditions for just such a landslide - and consequent mega-tsunami - now exist on the island of La Palma in the Canaries. In 1949 the southern volcano on the island erupted. During the eruption an enormous crack appeared across one side of the volcano, as the western half slipped a few metres towards the Atlantic before stopping in its tracks. Although the volcano presents no danger while it is quiescent, scientists believe the western flank will give way completely during some future eruption on the summit of the volcano. In other words, any time in the next few thousand years a huge section of southern La Palma, weighing 500 thousand million tones, will fall into the Atlantic ocean.
HBjet

MsDrmr
01-11-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm a thinkin so... :idea:

Wicky
01-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Here is a little bit of what the show was talking about. Interesting for sure...
Scientists now realise that the greatest danger comes from large volcanic islands, which are particularly prone to these massive landslides. Geologists began to look for evidence of past landslides on the sea bed, and what they saw astonished them. The sea floor around Hawaii, for instance, was covered with the remains of millions of years’ worth of ancient landslides, colossal in size.
But huge landslides and the mega-tsunami that they cause are extremely rare - the last one happened 4,000 years ago on the island of Réunion. The growing concern is that the ideal conditions for just such a landslide - and consequent mega-tsunami - now exist on the island of La Palma in the Canaries. In 1949 the southern volcano on the island erupted. During the eruption an enormous crack appeared across one side of the volcano, as the western half slipped a few metres towards the Atlantic before stopping in its tracks. Although the volcano presents no danger while it is quiescent, scientists believe the western flank will give way completely during some future eruption on the summit of the volcano. In other words, any time in the next few thousand years a huge section of southern La Palma, weighing 500 thousand million tones, will fall into the Atlantic ocean.
HBjet
Great info HB. I'm calling my prof to let him know he let me down.
So much for a higher edumacation. Gotta love the discovery channel.
Did ya catch the show with the 140mph outboard?
Thanks,
Wicky