PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Diesel Tach

Freak
01-11-2005, 11:40 AM
I know the 6.5's came with a tach that runs off the alt. Somehow.... How can I hook up one to my 6.2? I have the Tach and the sensor. How do I hook it up and what else do I need. Thanks

Jordy
01-11-2005, 11:53 AM
I know I ran through a few alternators on my 6.5 and don't recall them being anything special to a diesel, that is, everytime I needed one, they had one on a shelf and didn't have to order it. I would think your sensor wires in somewhere and measures frequency. You don't have any destructions for it? I'd try something like www.thedieselplace.com or http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ I don't have my 6.5 anymore, or I'd go poke and prod around and see where the tach wire ties in.

Freak
01-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks... I dug around those. Not much to go by. Mabe it is not a factory tach. It's in one of the gauge clusters on the very left side of the dash and it has a sensor that bolts some where on the motor. Ever seen one like that?

Jordy
01-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Is there a name on the tach? Perhaps you could find a distributor or manufacturer and go that route. Typically, they run off the alternator or off a crank/flywheel mag pickup. What does the sensor look like?

Freak
01-12-2005, 05:07 AM
I'll take a pic and post tommrow.
Thanks

SuperWrench0166
01-16-2005, 09:23 AM
computer picks up off of crankshaft sensor as do most all diesels that run a tach yes some do have a tach output from the alternator and that i seen is problem after problem most diesels now need a tack input for the computer most big trucks even older models had a sensor in the flywheel housing and that seems to work well i know on my 6.5 it runs off a sensor mounted in the timing chain cover so i hope this has helped you