PDA

View Full Version : Hotels near Houston/Galveston?

LHC Kirby
01-11-2005, 04:15 PM
I am coming to Galveston later this month and going on a cruise (BIG boat :cool: )... I have a hotel in Galveston for the night before the cruise. BUT - I was just looking for a hotel after the cruise and found that Mardi Gras is coming to town and Hotel rates have doubled. Any advice? :confused: We fly out of IAH the next day, so anywhere between Galveston and Houston is fine with us.
Any advice on cities, hotels to stay at? :idea: or maybe more important -to stay away from?
Any help would be appreciated.
Have a great day :rollside:

vdrivenman
01-11-2005, 05:29 PM
staying on the island during mardi gras will be expensive.everything will be booked up solid. the amount of vehicle & pedestrian traffic on & off the island will be tremendous. you might be better off to go back to houston and stay at or near your departure airport. that way you're already there.

LHC Kirby
01-11-2005, 05:43 PM
My thoughts as well . . being from So.Cal - and never been in Texas. Any ideas where a good place to stay closer to IAH would be? by chance do you know of any Firefighter Museums in the area?
I try to hit :hammer2: as many of those that I can...
thanks

wrenchdaddy
01-12-2005, 03:53 PM
My dad knows where teh fire museum(s) are in Houston, hes a Captian at station 54 at IAH, he just retired. I email him and see where they are at.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-13-2005, 04:49 AM
there are a ton of hotels around Bush IAH. I would think anyone of them would be fine. when you get back just hop on I-45 and go north until you hit Beltway 8 on the north side of town. pull over at the nearest hotel in the area and get a room. Houston isn't exactly a tourist attraction so I would think you would have no problems getting a hotel.
Omega

LHC Kirby
01-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the help - if you all make it out to So.Cal. or Havazoo - let me know. I owe you a cold frosty one :)

wrenchdaddy
01-13-2005, 04:15 PM
The houston fire museum website is: www.houstonfiremuseum.org
My dad said there is a memorial/museum in texas city (near galveston) for an explosion on a ship, the SS Grandcamp.