PDA

View Full Version : WAX or HAND GLAZE

spectra75
04-16-2002, 11:17 AM
I'm looking for a little input from everyone. I recently had my Spectra regeled and the glass guy said never to use wax on gelcoat. He recommended 3M IMPERIAL Hand Glaze. I saw an old Sleekcraft at his shop that looked incredible. He claimed the owner of the Sleek brought it in every winter for detail work. The gel guy said he has used the 3M and never used wax. My experience with wax is it will last about 1/2 a day while in use. It hardly seems worth the time and effort. Although, while detailing my baby, it is a good excuse to to knock down a few cold daddies with the stereo on high. I just wish the results would last longer. The shine of the boats on the boat show floor would be nice. How in the hell do they do that?
spectra75

fat rat
04-16-2002, 02:29 PM
I sold my boat of the 13 years, a year ago. I boat the boat new and never waxed it, I always used "The House of Wax" Super Glaze or 3M Perfect it. The gel coat on that boat when I sold it looked as good as my new boat. I've heard wax is not good for gel coat but can't confirm it......my .02 cents.

MrHavasuCat
04-16-2002, 03:10 PM
Quote: The shine of the boats on the boat show floor would be nice. How in the hell do they do that?
spectra75
With wax. My last boat was at the la boat show two years ago. I have seen the guys at the shop (DCB) waxing boats prior to delivery and the show. I have used Meguirs in the past, but I bought some new stuff at the boat show that I am going to try. I had some guys at the show swear by the stuff. I can't remember the brand name right now though. I will have to look when I get home.
[This message has been edited by MrHavasuCat (edited April 16, 2002).]

DickDanger
04-16-2002, 04:18 PM
Okay time for a little advice from a guy that owns his own marine detailing business.
First, the glaze for gel coats is really the way to go. Remember, gel coats are totally different from paint, and must be treated as such.
Second, waxing will work also, but doesnt have the longeivity of the 3M glaze. Also, after putting a few coats of wax on, you just cant keep waxing over it time after time, all of the old wax has to be stripped off using a good alkaline based soap, and then the new applied.
Okay, who do I send the bill to for this valuable information I just disclosed? Hahahahaha...-DD out

Hallett19
04-16-2002, 04:51 PM
Well DD, bill me when I have you do my the gelcoat on my boat, I really hope you can make it shine like hell, you will be the kind if you do, when can you fit me in, this weekend maybe ??

Hallett19
04-16-2002, 04:52 PM
I meant king, you will be the king !!!

fat rat
04-16-2002, 05:33 PM
And besides................Glazeing is easier than waxxing, once you get the shine..........it's a piece a cake to maintain.

spectra75
04-16-2002, 05:39 PM
Hey DD, Thanks for the info. You can bill me, just put it on my tab!!!hehehe
spectra75
p.s. should I strip off the wax if I'm going to use the glaze?

CoastGuardSteve
04-16-2002, 05:44 PM
GREAT!! I just spent a ton of time waxing and buffing my boat to hear this news. I guess sooner is better than never. What is the label name of this "glaze" and where would I be able to find it?
Steve

DickDanger
04-16-2002, 07:05 PM
Spectra, yep, you want to get rid of that old wax first. Usually any high volume marine store sells it, but I order it online myself.
Hallet, I may be able to fit you in on Sunday. The guys boat that I was supposed to do may be canceling on account that he wants to head to Pyramid. Ill drop you an e mail later this week as soon as I know....by the way, if you bring Playmates to my house, you get a 30% discount!!!! -DD out

HavasuBarney
04-16-2002, 09:03 PM
Glaze is polish.
CGSteve, 3M has a great selection of products for gel, rubbing compounds like Perfect It are great for solid colors and would work well for most cases.
3M will call thier products, Rubbing Compound, Machine or Hand Glaze.
Polish or glaze will come with or without wax and generally designed for bright colors.

spectra75
04-16-2002, 09:21 PM
HavasuBarney or DickDanger, When my boat was regeled, he shot all the color then clearcoated it. What would be a good product to remove light weight scratches or water stains before glazing?
DD, you can add this to my bill.
spectra75

SPECTRABRENT
04-16-2002, 09:48 PM
Spectra75,
Who did your gelcoat work?
Brent

spectra75
04-16-2002, 11:57 PM
Brent,, I went to a guy named Steve. I'll have to dig up his business card for more info. He's located in Lancaster on Sierra Hwy. He's in the same complex as Richards Boat Service. Steve is very meticulous and does a very nice job, BUT...he's a one man show. Meaning he answeres the phone, gives estimates, chases parts and between all that he works on boats. I had him remove the windshield and bow rail and fix all the little b'shit you find on a 27 year old boat. I really couldn't ask for a better gel coat job. It looks better then a new boat.(in my opinion)
spectra75

CoastGuardSteve
04-17-2002, 09:31 AM
Thanks HB. I will look for them at my local West Marine. Any info about the Meguiars boat polishes or other products? I used the 3M Heavy Oxidation Remover when I started working on my boats finish and it seemed to work pretty well. Just out of curiosity.....what would it run a guy to get a Spectra 18 gelled? I might be very interested in the future depending on your schedule.
Thanks,
Steve

JETBOAT BRIAN
04-17-2002, 05:49 PM
I have been using a glaze caled Dri Wash& guard for years, I sell it.It will not build up or yellow like wax and is super easy to apply and remove and it never gets hard and chalky like wax does.
I also use it to remove swirl marks after buffing out paint and make everyone I paint a car for buy a bottle!!
[This message has been edited by JETBOAT BRIAN (edited April 17, 2002).]

HavasuBarney
04-17-2002, 08:05 PM
Spectra75,
Any of the 3M rubbing compounds are good for small or very light scratches.
For slightly deeper scratches you'll want to hit the with 1000 grit sand paper first, then rubbing compound and if your doing it over clearcoat, finish with a glaze.
With the 1000 grit, make sure you use clean water and have a squeegy.
If you can, wrap the 1000 grit around a small sponge. Wet sand the area lightly, if your sandpaper grabs, rinse immediately, rotate your paper and squeegy the area.
With 1000 grit, the moment your paper grabs, rinse it, sqeegy the area to remove all the grit. Too ofter people will continue to sand once the paper grabs and then end up creating more scratches.
Depending on what your looking for on a re-gel it will run somewhere around $1500 and up.