PDA

View Full Version : 454 HO create motor

crf311
01-11-2005, 06:57 PM
I need a Big block chevy motor for my boat. I was looking at maybe using a454 HO create motor. On the spec sheet it states NOT for Marine use. Does anyone know why GM states this. Has anyone used this motor? Thanks for any input.

mickeyfinn
01-11-2005, 07:20 PM
hmmm.......
Well you don't say what kind of boat your are putting it in but my first guess would be the price increase that you get for a "marine" motor. A lot of people use the Crate motors, swap the cam and have a nice ride. The second reason probably has to do with warranty. Boats typically run a lot higher RPM for a lot longer time, plus it is like a car that does nothing but run wide open up hill all the time. They may not make the most HP of any engine out there but if you are not looking for the fastest boat on the lake it is certainly an affordable way to get back to the lake. May want to use different head gaskets too.

sleekvino
01-11-2005, 07:26 PM
things are different in a marine motor starting with piston gaps ,cam lobe center,and just over all specs,they do make a 650 hp out of the box for about 8 grand that will definitley move you. :lightsabe

crf311
01-11-2005, 08:14 PM
It's going to be used in a 20' jet boat with a jacuzzi pump. I'm not looking to set any speed records, just wanting to have a fun fast dependable jet boat. Thanks

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
01-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Buy the crate motor. Put in a clay smith cam, and add headers and go have fun!!! Budlight

al cole'holic
01-11-2005, 11:59 PM
I need a Big block chevy motor for my boat. I was looking at maybe using a454 HO create motor. On the spec sheet it states NOT for Marine use. Does anyone know why GM states this. Has anyone used this motor? Thanks for any input.
How much is this gonna cost you to do when all is said and done for this 454 crate??

Aluminum Squirt
01-12-2005, 01:38 PM
No idea about the 454HO crate motor, but we've got an entire class built around the ZZ4. No internal changes allowed. We run them WOT for anywhere between 5 minutes and 40 minutes at a time and from what I hear, many people are getting well over 100 hrs out of them. I'm saving up for a new ZZ4 right now, my last motor wasn't quite up to ZZ4 specs but I got 130 hrs out of it, almost all of it at WOT-Aluminum Squirt

crf311
01-13-2005, 12:29 PM
The set up for a 454 create is going to cost about 4800.00 total as they come with everything execpt the carb and dist, which I have.
Oh how I would love to go with a ZZ4 set up, but running any alum. engine parts around here will not last too long with the salt water.

a catered life
01-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Buy the crate motor. Put in a clay smith cam, and add headers and go have fun!!! Budlight
ditto