PDA

View Full Version : Tile

MsDrmr
01-12-2005, 08:56 AM
Mr and I are interested in getting tile in our house, we are looking for someone who offers a good deal in just buying the tile, and then someone who could help us with the labor of installing it.
Any help would be appreciated

Keithb87
01-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Are you sure you want tile ?? :)
A little hard on the knees :)
Allthough, I used to work in a theather and there is nothing like getting a girl on the cold tile floor.. :wink: of the projection booth.
(sorry for the hijack)

harleypauls
01-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Try John Ambruster 619-818-8834. Tell him Paul Shaw reccommended him. He and I did the tile in my house. He's a great handyman for all projects.
Paul :cool: :cool:

BarryMac
01-12-2005, 09:13 AM
Pick out your tile and rent a Tile Saw from your local rental yard, tiling is fairly easy, I am sure that you and the Mr. can do it... :shift:

MsDrmr
01-12-2005, 10:15 AM
I am in Fontana, but I don't mind traveling to get the tile for a good price.
GJB: we don't mind doing it ourselves we have the stuff, but we'd like to have some help so that it gets done quickly, we have a lot of Sq footage downstairs...A few extra hands would help expedite the process.

572Daytona
01-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Check out these guys:
http://www.usastone.com/
They have auctions around the country on tile, I see they have one coming up in California. I went to a couple of their auctions in the Atlanta area and bought slate for our decks, granite for our kitchen, and marble for our bathrooms at a good price. You can usually pick it up for under $5/sq ft and sometime as low as 2$. The way the auctions work is that they open up on Friday afternoon to let you preview what is available, the auction is on Saturday and then you have Saturday and Sunday to figure out how to get it home.

gmocnik
01-12-2005, 10:25 AM
just went through this drill......
state college blvd. north of kramer in anaheim has every tile manufacturer and distributer in the world....take a day and visit a bunch of them...narrow your choice down to a couple of tiles, then buy a box of each and take it home...what looks good in the showroom may change when you get it home...
we put down around 600 sq ft of 18" in the kitchen and den...rented the wetsaw from home depot, mixed up the mud and had at it....took one day to lay it, one day to grout it...
on the other hand....the $3-$4 per foot for labor to have it installed is probably money well spent...
good luck
gm

MsDrmr
01-12-2005, 10:30 AM
just went through this drill......
state college blvd. north of kramer in anaheim has every tile manufacturer and distributer in the world....take a day and visit a bunch of them...narrow your choice down to a couple of tiles, then buy a box of each and take it home...what looks good in the showroom may change when you get it home...
we put down around 600 sq ft of 18" in the kitchen and den...rented the wetsaw from home depot, mixed up the mud and had at it....took one day to lay it, one day to grout it...
on the other hand....the $3-$4 per foot for labor to have it installed is probably money well spent...
good luck
gm
yeah no kiddin, mr laid tile in his old house, in the living room, kitchen, bathroom, hall and dining room, did it in three days and it took three years off his life. :supp: (so he claims)

Cas
01-12-2005, 10:52 AM
if you pick out the tile you like, I'll be more than happy to order it and get my contractors discount. Most every company is different as far as discounts go so I can't say what it is. Also, there aren't any discounts at Home Depot, Lowe's, Yardbirds or other big stores like that.
Also, a lot of the tile companies give a little better price to tile contractors should there be any on here.
As far as the installation, I'm a bit too far away for that.

MsDrmr
01-12-2005, 10:55 AM
if you pick out the tile you like, I'll be more than happy to order it and get my contractors discount. Most every company is different as far as discounts go so I can't say what it is. Also, there aren't any discounts at Home Depot, Lowe's, Yardbirds or other big stores like that.
Also, a lot of the tile companies give a little better price to tile contractors should there be any on here.
As far as the installation, I'm a bit too far away for that.
thank you for the offer, I will keep you in mind, (I appreciate your willing to help out). We wont go through a large store, we like to give out business to the med sized or mom & pop shops....I'll keep you informed.

LHC30Victory
01-12-2005, 11:23 AM
check your PM's

ROZ
01-12-2005, 11:33 AM
tiling is fairly easy,
That depends on what tile you're laying...A travertine or marble with a 90% corner needs to be absolutely perfect with all the corners and edges perfectly level in order to look good. It would take me 2 months of weekends and evenings to get it done perfectly. A longtime friend who lays tile and specializes in traverntine, granite, and marble would take 3 weeks(by himself because he doesn't trust any of his laborers to get it perfect) to 650 sqft done... His house tile is so perfect that you can drag your bare foot accross the floor and almost not even feel a groutline......
On the other hand, I could lay any tile that has a beveled edge in the same 650sqft area in about 3 weeks in weekends and nights.. Now the wife wants hardwood... :devil: :D
You can easily save a couple grand in labor by doing it yourself...

BarryMac
01-12-2005, 11:39 AM
That depends on what tile you're laying...A travertine or marble with a 90% corner needs to be absolutely perfect with all the corners and edges perfectly level in order to look good. It would take me 2 months of weekends and evenings to get it done perfectly. A longtime friend who lays tile and specializes in traverntine, granite, and marble would take 3 weeks(by himself because he doesn't trust any of his laborers to get it perfect) to 650 sqft done... His house tile is so perfect that you can drag your bare foot accross the floor and almost not even feel a groutline......
On the other hand, I could lay any tile that has a beveled edge in the same 650sqft area in about 3 weeks in weekends and nights.. Now the wife wants hardwood... :devil: :D
You can easily save a couple grand in labor by doing it yourself...
I stand corrected, I should have specified that most tiling is easy, I found that the beveled edge tiles are pretty simple to lay...

spectratoad
01-12-2005, 12:00 PM
I tiled and wood floored my whole house. It is not that hard to do. I am srating one of my bathrooms now and have one more to do after that. It is work but fun at the same time. :)