PDA

View Full Version : Article in Jan. HB on motor build

wet77
01-12-2005, 02:53 PM
I was trying to reference the info in the JAN 2005 Hot Boat mag. about the Comp cam they used in that 540 motor. Page 134
The # in the article was 11-706-9 which they state in the paragraph under the picture of the cylinder head that its a (hyraulic roller camshaft)
I looked up the number on Comp Cams site and it came back with this
285CR-8 Cam
$374.93
Mechanical Roller :idea:
Which one is it??
I am only wondering because I am building a motor very similar to the one in the article :D

Taylorman
01-12-2005, 03:01 PM
I noticed the same thing. Im sure it was a typo in the magazine. Im sure Comps web sight is right. Don't they reference lash setting in the magazine? That would make it mechanical.

victorfb
01-12-2005, 03:11 PM
i believe that was the motor Toddnjuzz had built for his boat. you may want to try and PM him here on the boards.

wet77
01-12-2005, 03:15 PM
I noticed the same thing. Im sure it was a typo in the magazine. Im sure Comps web sight is right. Don't they reference lash setting in the magazine? That would make it mechanical.
Noticed the valve lash remark also :cool:

victorfb
01-12-2005, 03:16 PM
by the way, if your looking for a good gen 6 solid roller comp cam, i have the one cyclone used a couple seasons ago on his single carbed 502 that he claimed over 700HP. i rode in the boat with that motor and it kicked butt. its a comp cams custom grind, but i never recieved the lifters or pushrods for it so i didnt use it. let me know if anyone is interested.

HotRod Sprint
01-12-2005, 06:06 PM
i believe that was the motor Toddnjuzz had built for his boat. you may want to try and PM him here on the boards.
Ya, I was gonna say the same thing. He has been having a lot of computer problems lately so, he may be a while in answering.
Rod

Taylorman
01-12-2005, 06:30 PM
by the way, if your looking for a good gen 6 solid roller comp cam, i have the one cyclone used a couple seasons ago on his single carbed 502 that he claimed over 700HP. i rode in the boat with that motor and it kicked butt. its a comp cams custom grind, but i never recieved the lifters or pushrods for it so i didnt use it. let me know if anyone is interested.
Whats the specs on that cam? How much you want for it?

victorfb
01-12-2005, 06:51 PM
its a custom grind so i cannot look it up on the web site, but i did have the specs writen down, i just have to find it. ill post em as soon as i find em, or i may have to wait till the morning and give comp cams a call with the numbers, they can tell me the specs.

OkieDave
01-13-2005, 06:08 AM
I was curious about the lash setting on a hydraulic roller too but the article on the impellor test is the one I really liked the best. Too bad they didn't try a 9.5 incher while they were at it.

Taylorman
01-13-2005, 06:45 AM
Impeller test? Which issue is that. I did not see that one.

OkieDave
01-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Sorry about that, it was feb hot boat. it compared back to back runs with AA, A, and B impellors. not to stir anything up here but as I have always believed, the AA was the best. more mph and less rpm.