PDA

View Full Version : Trailering

robk
04-19-2006, 02:38 PM
While not new to trailering (I've trailered all kinds of stuff for years), I *am* new to trailering a jet boat.
I remember seeing mention here on the board of some of you guys ending up with stuff in the pump from the drive to the river/lake/etc and I'm curious as to what measures you guys take to either prevent it or resolve it. I never had the problem with any of my jet skis, but since I remember it being mentioned here more than once I assume it's an issue.
I would hate to have a rock find it's way up into the pump somewhere along I40 and then fire the thing up and send my newly rebuilt pump back to the workbench.
Anybody block off the grate or do you just flush everything out really well before you start the boat?
Rob

MudPumper
04-19-2006, 02:42 PM
You would be shocked at all the sand and rock that will get up there. I shove a big towel up the intake and secure it with a spring loaded clamp. I wrap part of the towel around the shaft and put the clamp over the towel, keeps the towel from working its way out. I'm sure others have different ways but that's what I do. Just remember to pull the towel out when you get to the water. :crossx:

BrendellaJet
04-19-2006, 03:50 PM
back the boat in the water to submerge the intake & pull it back out.

Ken F
04-19-2006, 05:27 PM
I've seen 1/2 cup of sand & gravel get into one after about a 1 hour tow.
you can take some plastic & tape up your intake. Guess the towel deal would work, and you wouldn't have to deal with the bottom of your boat being wet before you tow home.
The best thing I've seen is the cover that HTP (called Save-a-Jet) sells which screws to your trailer bunks, and you just pull your boat on and go.
You have to trim it to fit the bottom of your boat, but they work great!!
Good that you brought this problem up, many people don't worry or think of this issue, and it wears out your pump pretty quick!
Here's a link:
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Parts.HTM
Ken F

MBlaster
04-19-2006, 07:48 PM
back the boat in the water to submerge the intake & pull it back out.
I love the lazy mans fix. :p

Aluminum Squirt
04-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Every little bit of preserving a well built pump is worth while, but I will tell you a little bit about the other side of the coin. I continually run sand, rocks, and sticks through my pump. I don't really do this on purpose but it has happened on more than one occasion with the way I boat and where I boat. I have never lost a single RPM on my tach or MPH on my GPS. I do run a rock grate but plenty of small stuff gets through. By all means if you have a well built pump then take care of it. My opinion is a little more laid back though, a little bit of road grime is certainly not going to affect my pump much when I have grounded my boat at WOT on more than a few sand/gravel bars. Now if you have a race tolerance pump, a lot of money into it, or you tow down some unpaved roads then the trailer gadget may be of some interest. Jusy my $.02-Aluminum Squirt

CARLSON-JET
04-20-2006, 12:51 AM
when I make any length of haul I use my custom made intake cover. but by all means what every you choose to cover the pump with, write yourself a note and put it by the key of the boat and on the dash panel of your tow rig until removing it becomes part of the routine. a forgotten towel could be an ugly start to a good day of boating. I still get ahead of myself when luanching alone sometimes and forget even after 2 years. my plate will not get sucked up but does put a damper on movement when I'm floating away from the trailer. reaching under the boat to the grate is no easy task. Hi-Techs shield looks like a decent investment. R.B.