PDA

View Full Version : missed the channel by thatttt much!!

uncle larry
01-12-2005, 08:37 PM
http://www.arizonasoul.com/boatbeach.gif
Boat hits point
LAKE HAVASU CITY, Ariz. – A 25-foot boat has been beached at Windsor State Beach in Lake Havasu City since early this morning.
The boat struck the point of the channel around 1 am and was able to land on-shore, according to Mohave County SheriffÂ’s spokesperson Trish Carter.
“Deputies contacted Tina McDevitt who identified herself as the operator of the boat,” said Carter. “During investigations deputies determined that John McDevitt was the operator at the time of the accident.”
Carter said John McDevitt was cited and released and the accident is still under investigation.

OutCole'd
01-12-2005, 08:38 PM
WTF???? :sqeyes:

Steamin' Rice
01-12-2005, 08:49 PM
What kind of boat is that??

JetBoatRich
01-12-2005, 08:55 PM
:hammer2: Funny how a different person said they were driving and somebody was cited for illegal parking of their boat :D

LilHarley
01-12-2005, 08:56 PM
A beached one .... LOL .... :eat:

TCHB
It makes not sense!!!!!!!!

wantacat
It looks like a Shockwave Tremor?

77charger
shockwave?

LHC30Victory
01-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Yup, a new 25 Tremor.
here is the story:
http://www.havasunews.com/articles/2005/01/13/news/news02.txt
"Lake Havasu City residents John McDevitt, 39, and his wife Tina Michelle McDevitt, 33, along with two other occupants of the 25-foot boat, were uninjured in the crash, which occurred just after midnight where Windsor 4 meets the Channel, according to reports of the Mohave County Sheriff's Department."
Haven't we talked about going fast at night before????
Just lucky they weren't hurt! BTW - Anyone know the McDevitt's? (sounds like divet)

slink
01-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Damn, from reading the article, I think the guy could have cleared a triple jump in that thing :jawdrop: Speaks well for Shockwave........no hull damage

jdogginla
01-12-2005, 09:13 PM
K.........read the article. The boat went airborne for 20 feet, cleared a picnic table and then slid another 55 feet!!#$@#% HOLY $HIT, u know how fast you have to be going to hit shore and fly 80 some feet! :notam:

JetBoatRich
01-12-2005, 09:17 PM
This sounds like a scarey ride :confused:
The boat went airborne and flew about 20 feet, clearing a picnic table. As it made its way downward, the boat grazed another picnic table before hitting the ground five feet away and skidding another 55 feet.
It came to rest upright, against a mesquite tree growing from the bank and a third picnic table near the tree.

100+Placecraft
01-12-2005, 09:19 PM
"NOTE TO SELF"
"Stay far far away from that boat when I see it on the water!!!!"
I don't want to be the next thing that those people jump over.

canuck1
01-12-2005, 09:25 PM
sounds like fun....in daylight

JustMVG
01-12-2005, 09:27 PM
On The Next Dukes of Hazzard..........

atomickitn
01-12-2005, 10:17 PM
ok honey get the wax out and start at the front............. :argue:

HOOTER SLED-
01-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Maybe the boat got mad at the trailer for staring at another boat and decided to walk home. :D

MOBrien
01-12-2005, 11:37 PM
sounds like fun....in daylight
geesh canuck.... you stump jumpin, rock scrapin, 16' jet with 500hp, weed hoppin, aluminum boat drivers would think like that. :D You guys are freakin CRAZY :2purples: But man o man that 3-4" deep river running is some bit of fun. My bro has a 16' Eagle sprint and was at the Worlds in Marysville last year. Purposely jumping your rig up and over rapids at 60-80mph....now that takes some balls. :hammerhea
Oh yeah and, Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Anyone think cocktails were involved in this one? Freakin dumbasses at 1am runnin around in their new Shockwave at what, must have been like 40+mph. Brilliant. :220v: No brains, no headache.

racecardrvr44
01-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Hello lucifer.....I mean officer.....I'm not as think as you drunk I am.....
Freakin' Stupid!!

bordsmnj
01-13-2005, 02:41 AM
am i the only one that noticed thaat it stayed upright the whole time? coulda got real ugly real fast.

BarryMac
01-13-2005, 06:36 AM
That's crazy shit, why would you wanna go that fast at night? Some peoples kids...

shueman
01-13-2005, 06:38 AM
If they hit the rock jetty instead of the beach, it would have been tragic... :2purples:
Here's another shot...
http://www.havasudoug.com/iB_html/uploads/post-14-03640-news02.jpg

lucky
01-13-2005, 07:03 AM
well if you read the sighn he followed all the instructions - no mooring over night - no spraying other boats - hell he just needed a place to park . if your idling at night your going to fast ... :eek:

FRENCHIE
01-13-2005, 09:44 AM
i knew i bought my 25' for a good strong hull!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Her454
01-13-2005, 09:50 AM
:hammer2: Funny how a different person said they were driving and somebody was cited for illegal parking of their boat :D
Not really, he was probably intoxicated and didnt want the blame so she said she was driving.
Could have been tragic. Anyone remember the drunk idiot going off the bridge in his truck at night...all you could see were his headlights in the channel...lucky no one was killed then either..............

Boatcop
01-13-2005, 10:56 AM
When I get up to my office, I'll run a few figures and come up with a speed for y'all.
Funny though. Isn't the area going into the north channel a No Wake zone, and isn't the channel entrance marked with red and green lights?

Her454
01-13-2005, 10:59 AM
When I get up to my office, I'll run a few figures and come up with a speed for y'all.
Alan, save yourself the trouble, I'd say TOO FAST would just about cover it. :)

Havasu_Dreamin
01-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Funny though. Isn't the area going into the north channel a No Wake zone, and isn't the channel entrance marked with red and green lights?
Yes, and there is a new lightnhouse there to mark the South side of entrance in addition ot the light on the North side. Too fast, too stupid, too much inattention.

shueman
01-13-2005, 11:23 AM
http://www.havasudoug.com/iB_html/uploads/post-14-28211-_fishing_windsor.jpg

Boatcop
01-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Without having exact measurements and not figuring in the drag coefficient, I figure that his minimum speed when he hit the shore would have been:
38 MPH.
Keep in mind that he could have been going faster, but that is the minimum speed required to go that far.

Keith E. Sayre
01-13-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm sitting at my desk at work last night about 6:00 pm when the phone rings,
this guy named John starts telling me that he just bought a boat from Barrie
at Shockwave and needs to know who can do some extensive gelcoat repairs.
I proceed to give him the name of the guy that I would take it to and then he
tells me the story. Nice guy, super polite although I've never met him. He
didn't mention the part about the wife driving or not driving. ooooops.
We tell each other a couple of war stories about almost running into things at
night on the way back from Havasu Springs over the years and then he gets off the phone. I was shocked to see the photos on the front page of todays Havasu paper. That boat was motoring hard when it hit the beach. Johns
explanation last night was that he got something that when he flies he calls
vertigo. In other words pilots (like him) have reported a loss of sensation when in thick clouds, or fog etc where they lose the ability to see if they're going up or down. without the instruments, they couldn't tell up from down. He said that this was the same. He indicated that with all of the lights from
the city reflecting in the water, it looked like he was heading in the right direction and he thought that he was still several hundred yards from the buoy line at the entrance to the channel. Lucky to be alive.
I hate driving a boat at night but when I do it's about 15 mph.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

uncle larry
01-13-2005, 08:52 PM
hey i posted the article and story to let you know..
we miss all our boating friends out here in havasu.. so you all come back real soon we just ask that your keep the boats in the water and the trucks and trailors on the beach.........
Damn isn't it boating seaon yet???????
heck we even have some new bars out here since last season......
kokomos will be open one weekend in feb for a model boat racing contest...
see you then...that would be the weekend of feb 18 and 19

98 Vector 21
01-13-2005, 09:18 PM
What was pulling that boat to get it that far on land? Must of been a DuraMax.

JetBoatRich
01-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Not really, he was probably intoxicated and didnt want the blame so she said she was driving.
I never meant funny HAHA, but funny how the story change :supp: from who was cited and who said they did the crime

Kachina26
01-13-2005, 09:28 PM
isn't the channel entrance marked with red and green lights?
Yeah, they sure are pretty, what with the light houses and all. I wonder if they mean something. I bet they are just for looks.

CornWater
01-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Without having exact measurements and not figuring in the drag coefficient, I figure that his minimum speed when he hit the shore would have been:
38 MPH.
Keep in mind that he could have been going faster, but that is the minimum speed required to go that far.
Clue me in.. as an engineer I would like to know where you are coming from?

CBLavey
01-13-2005, 09:33 PM
In other words pilots (like him) have reported a loss of sensation when in thick clouds, or fog etc where they lose the ability to see if they're going up or down. without the instruments, they couldn't tell up from down. He said that this was the same. He indicated that with all of the lights from
the city reflecting in the water, it looked like he was heading in the right direction and he thought that he was still several hundred yards from the buoy line at the entrance to the channel. Lucky to be alive.
I hate driving a boat at night but when I do it's about 15 mph.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400
Seems to me that most people who can't tell up from down call that sensation being shitfaced.... I'll stay clear of that boat - nice graphics though...

PowellScooter
01-14-2005, 06:37 AM
"Johns
vertigo. In other words pilots (like him) have reported a loss of sensation "
:eek: :eek: :eek:
You gotta be shittin me... this guy flies an airplane??? :2purples: :2purples:

spectras only
01-14-2005, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=PowellScooter]"Johns
You gotta be shittin me... this guy flies an airplane??? :2purples: :2purples:[B] hopefully not an airliner :eek:

purrfecttremor
01-14-2005, 05:49 PM
"Johns
vertigo. In other words pilots (like him) have reported a loss of sensation "
:eek: :eek: :eek:
You gotta be shittin me... this guy flies an airplane??? :2purples: :2purples:
ah an air plane :hammerhea

Phat Matt
01-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Maybe he thought he was in an airplane. He did clear the picnic tables.

AirtimeLavey
01-15-2005, 12:26 AM
Looks like he did stick the landing, though. Just forgot to let the gear down. I should probably give him my screen name. That's not what I mean by airtime! :2purples:

Keith E. Sayre
01-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Yesterday while delivering a new Conquest Deckboat to a pair of recently
retired CHP motorcycle riders, I told them about this accident. At the time
we were just entering the channel and I explained that I couldn't figure
out where the photo was taken that was on the cover of the local paper.
It wasn't where I thought it should have been either!
That Shockwave boat actually entered the channel and went past the outcropping of rocks about 50 or 75 feet when it went straight left
perpindicular to the direction of the channel. I thought that it was over on
the sandy beach and the guy just ran aground. That isn't the case, somehow they went well into the channel and then turned hard left or they
were so far out of whack on the no wake zone close to the shore near Crazy Horse and they came into the channel almost heading north rather than
East and went straight thru and out the other side. They didn't hit nice sand
either. They hit some sand with big nasty rocks up an embankment about 2 feet high, this is what put their boat into the air flying. Then landed on an
picnic table. Then skidded to a stop. I'm wondering, I'd love to know how
fast they really were going.
In either case, pretty bizarre way to wreck the new boat!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-17-2005, 01:57 AM
It looks like a Shockwave Tremor?
must be ROTFLMAO :hammerhea

FRENCHIE
01-17-2005, 08:57 AM
must be ROTFLMAO :hammerhea
hold it DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hammerhea
ONLY A FEW SCRATCHES ON THE HULL!!! SO laugh at that!!!! :hammer2: :p

roostwear
01-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Yeah, vertigo, that's it!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/896jd.jpg

SHOTKALLIN
01-17-2005, 07:20 PM
any one ever see live and let die??? :D

SBullet
01-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Seems to me that most people who can't tell up from down call that sensation being shitfaced.... I'll stay clear of that boat - nice graphics though...
Yeah! Very nice graphics!! :sqeyes: :sqeyes:

Tahiti28
01-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Just read this post, got one word for the operator, "Duh"!!

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Have another cocktail.
I just don't get it. Having been "overserved" many, many, many times, and having been in a situation to drive a boat or a car, i never have wanted to go fast. Even when i haven't been overserved and maybe had only two or three i like to keep it cool.