View Full Version : Now Shockwaves can Fly

H20Advantage
01-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Hard Landing: 4 unhurt after boat strikes shoreline
BY L.J. FRINK AND MARK HALL
Wednesday, January 12, 2005 9:21 PM MST
Havasu News-Herald Photos/L.J. Frink
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/803news02.jpg
Grooves in the sand on shore at Windsor 4 mark the last 55 feet of the 80-foot-long course this boat traveled early Wednesday after hitting the Windsor Beach shoreline. A sign and metal trash can were also damaged.
A new Shockwave Tremor boat flew about 80 feet onto dry land early Wednesday morning after the vessel's owner failed to guide the boat into Bridgewater Channel and collided with the shoreline at Lake Havasu State Park, Windsor Beach.
Lake Havasu City residents John McDevitt, 39, and his wife Tina Michelle McDevitt, 33, along with two other occupants of the 25-foot boat, were uninjured in the crash, which occurred just after midnight where Windsor 4 meets the Channel, according to reports of the Mohave County Sheriff's Department.
John McDevitt was operating his boat from the lake into the Channel when it struck a section of the shoreline that sticks out from behind the rock jetty at Windsor 4, reports said. The boat went airborne and flew about 20 feet, clearing a picnic table. As it made its way downward, the boat grazed another picnic table before hitting the ground five feet away and skidding another 55 feet.
It came to rest upright, against a mesquite tree growing from the bank and a third picnic table near the tree.
After authorities arrived at the scene, Tina McDevitt told Mohave County Sheriff's deputies that she was operating the boat when the collision occurred. However, according to sheriff's reports, further investigation revealed John McDevitt had been the operator.
Tina McDevitt was subsequently charged with false reporting to a law enforcement officer, while John McDevitt was charged with reckless/negligent operation of a watercraft. Both charges are misdemeanors.
"It was my fault," McDevitt told Today's News-Herald on Wednesday, as Jim Hoover of R&H Salvage and Marine attempted to winch the boat back into the water so it could be removed from the scene. "I was slowing down to come into the Channel. It was too dark. I just didn't negotiate the turn right."
Sheriff's spokeswoman Trish Carter said it is unknown whether alcohol was a factor in the collision. However, she said the incident is currently under investigation.
The boat did not appear to sustain too much structural damage from the crash. Some gouges, scrapes and dents could be seen, mostly on the hull. However, no holes were visible.
A crane from I-West of Lake Havasu City was brought in to hoist the vessel from its resting place onto a trailer hitched to the McDevitts' truck.
John McDevitt said he bought the boat only two months ago.
The Lake Havasu Police Department, State Park Rangers and Lake Havasu Fire Department also responded to the scene.

mbrown2
01-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Jackass, James Bond, or just another Drunk....you pick?

JustMVG
01-12-2005, 10:03 PM
"I was slowing down to come into the Channel. It was too dark. I just didn't negotiate the turn right."
Now there's an understatement, 80 feet of skidmark!!! and "I Was Slowing Down" geesh.

H20Advantage
01-12-2005, 10:03 PM
My bet would be alcohol, why else would the wife try to take the blame. :idea:

H20Advantage
01-12-2005, 10:04 PM
"I was slowing down to come into the Channel. It was too dark. I just didn't negotiate the turn right."
Now there's an understatement, 80 feet of skidmark!!! and "I Was Slowing Down" geesh.
A boat that size going airborne 20 feet. What are your bets on the speed.

a catered life
01-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Jackass, James Bond, or just another Drunk....you pick?
dont pick! :lightsabe all of the above

slink
01-12-2005, 10:06 PM
A boat that size going airborne 20 feet. What are your bets on the speed.
W.O.T

Roxysnow
01-12-2005, 10:08 PM
That's a jackass that makes all boaters look bad! Must have been going pretty fast to bunny hop a picnic table and skid 55ft! And, isn't there a 5mph zone around the channel entrance also? what the hell where they thinking ???

bunny 166
01-12-2005, 10:10 PM
:eek: :eek: Holy crap!! He must have been flying to make his boat jump over a frickin table and still go that far...... :sqeyes:

slink
01-12-2005, 10:10 PM
"Huh hunny, were did Barry say the break pedal was at" :D

HOOTER SLED-
01-12-2005, 10:13 PM
It was a Shockwave. Ever stop to think that they were deliberately trying to destroy it? :D :D :devil: Just kidding, Shockwaves are OK........I guess. ;)

H20Advantage
01-12-2005, 10:20 PM
I just saw this was also posted on the Hot Spots, West earlier tonight. Has a side pic of the boat.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68083

upsman105
01-12-2005, 10:23 PM
He was trying to save gas in his tow vehicle, see it up there, he almost made it.

Kilrtoy
01-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Is that boat that is now for sale in the WEST section and NO its not the yellow below either
http://www.arizonasoul.com/boatbeach.gif

JustMVG
01-12-2005, 10:37 PM
I guess that thru hull exhaust really does give you more speed, like an afterburner, without it the boat may have only gone 15 ft on the shore instead of the 80.

jdogginla
01-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Is that boat that is now for sale in the WEST section and NO its not the yellow below either
LOL.........that would be funny shizit. The guy who posted his 25' tremor for sale only had one post, but didn't say where he was from. We should ask him if his has ever bunny hopped a picnic table, LOL :hammer2:

H20Advantage
01-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Was that RPCRACK in the ***boat section. The boat does have trim tabs and was posted today. :idea:

Dr. Eagle
01-12-2005, 10:42 PM
I think it's the live and let die special... :wink:

Kilrtoy
01-12-2005, 10:50 PM
I guess that thru hull exhaust really does give you more speed, like an afterburner, without it the boat may have only gone 15 ft on the shore instead of the 80.
See they belived me and tried to clear the channel, but like EVIL, they came up short.....

Raylar
01-12-2005, 11:01 PM
These are the clowns that will make insurance on performance boats almost impossible in a few years and will kill the sport. 1. Don't drive a boat fast at night period. 2. don't drive boats drunk. and 3. If you are this stupid, don't own a boat period!
Raylar :p

AirtimeLavey
01-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Dumbass was lucky as hell... :hammerhea
Mrs., "But I don't know how to back the trailer down, and I don't want to stay in the boat..."
Mr., "F... it. Hold on!"

RiverDave
01-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Hauling ass at night is just about like playing with fire.. Sooner or later you WILL get burned..
A little something for the peanut gallery (the Alcohol's evil crowd if you will).. You haul ass at night whether your impaired or sober and sooner or later your going to get burned. You wouldn't drive a boat if you were blind would you?? At night you lose the vast majority of your abillity to see for any reasonable distance.. Unless your going really slow you most likely won't see something until after you already ran it over..
This guy clearing a picnic table and managing 80'.. That's gotta be some kinda record!! I'm curious as to how this measures up against that Nordic that pulled the same maneuver awhile back.. One of those guys oughta get a distance award.
You look back across most of the recent accidents.. Or rather dare I say the vast majority of fatal boat accidents that happen on the colorado river, they all occur at night / dusk / etc.. when vision starts too become or in some cases is a problem. Lacking the common sense to follow the most basic rule to drive anything is a character trait, not an alcohol problem. That most basic rule is what I believe the officers on the board would call "reasonable and prudent.."
This guy is gets 2 midemeanors for endangering not only his own life, but the lives of everyone on the boat, on top of which by dumb luck didn't kill anybody on the shoreline.. But becuase they don't have any BAC on him he gets 2 misdemeanor tickets and walks?? What Kinda bullshit is that?
Lets rewind this a bit.. Lets say there was a family camping out on said beach.. and he plows right through the tent maybe killing a couple of kids, and we'll throw in a mom for good measure.. Now it's a terrible "accident" a tragedy and we'll all feel bad. He might get some manslaughter charges, but his lawyer will probably get him off citing Shockwave didn't tell him that driving something like an idiot was actually dangerous..
Now if he had a sip of beer and the same situation happens this guy is going to get crucified.. If he had a .06 BAC then he was obviously shitfaced, he's definately a murderer, this among 50 other horror stories will get lobby'd in front of the right people to lower BAC's to an even more ridiculous level.. God forbid the dad gets maimed but survives, maybe we can use him as a poster boy and put a picture up saying "Not everyone that gets hit by a drunk driver dies" without any other relevant information to the actual incident. Doesn't matter though... Nothing does, people take one look at that horrific image and it's "shockvalue" time, there emotions run deep and the propoganda perpuates adding another member to it's ranks.. Once again throwing all common sense and any thread of logic purely to the wind.. Hell none of us even realize that everyday there's 100's of accidents that are just as horrific or worse.. But you don't see anybody trying to outlaw cars??
There was a kid that got hit on a bicycle in my neighborhood when I was young.. He came out of that deal pretty disfigured and lucky to be alive. It was quite a horrific accident to see the after effects of. The driver doing too many things at once and not paying attention was the cause of the accident. Had he had one beer by todays standards, any and all causes go out the window (along with common sense) becuase....
What was that catch phrase at the beginning of this thread?
"Alcohol may have been a factor"
Many people think I support "DRUNK DRIVING"
NOTHING IS FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH
What my point is, when you can't even have a SINGLE beer with dinner anymore without fear of doing jail time and a 3 month program with ungodly fees.. Things may have just progressed a little too far. There's people down here in San Diego getting Tagged for DUI's with a .06 BAC!! and losing in court!! (If you can believe that shit?)
Dammit... I think I might've had a little response stored up from watching that thread wicky started a few days ago and keeping my mouth shut on it.. LOL
RD

RiverDave
01-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Ahhhh... ya know what?
Screw it.. Make the laws zero tolerance that would've obviously made this (and other) incidents not happen.
RD <--- can't drink anything and drive anymore anyways so it don't make no difference to me.

LAPII
01-13-2005, 01:28 AM
Just reminds me of a post from a Lake Havasu resident who blames all of those incidents on out-of-staters. Go figure.

RiverRatMike
01-13-2005, 01:28 AM
how stupid! unbelieveable!

Jerrys59
01-13-2005, 03:59 AM
All no wake anywhere near the channe. He had to be haulin ass and shit faced! :confused:

Kachina26
01-13-2005, 06:47 AM
Maybe his plan was to buzz the channel, come on, you know you've been tempted to do it in the winter when nobody is in the way! :D
Seriously though, I'm glad nobody was hurt. (Ding bat driver included) And uh, thanks for helping to bump the insurance rates another notch!

Havasu_Dreamin
01-13-2005, 06:54 AM
What a jackass!

BarryMac
01-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Just think how far he would have flown if he bought a Jetboat, nothing hanging off the ass end to slow ya down...

Tyson Ross
01-13-2005, 07:43 AM
"Dad you must have jumped it about 50 yards"!!
"Nothing to be proud of Russ", ........."50 yards"!!

Jordy
01-13-2005, 07:49 AM
I love the second sentence of the article:
A sign and metal trash can were also damaged.
No, not a sign and a metal trash can!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

dicudmore
01-13-2005, 07:54 AM
uh, oops :mad:

havaduner
01-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Boating after midnight, in January?? Alcohol had to be involved!

beer hunter
01-13-2005, 08:02 AM
I love the second sentence of the article:
No, not a sign and a metal trash can!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
LMAO......Ooooh, the horror of it all :eek:
In all seriousness, a lesser boat would have broke apart killing everyone on board :wink:

OutCole'd
01-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Where's the video JBB???

shueman
01-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Guess they didn't see THIS....
http://www.havasudoug.com/iB_html/uploads/post-14-28211-_fishing_windsor.jpg

THOR
01-13-2005, 08:17 AM
LMAO......Ooooh, the horror of it all :eek:
In all seriousness, a lesser boat would have broke apart killing everyone on board :wink:
:D
Just be glad it wasnt an HTM. Imagine the conversation about that. :hammer2:

ChumpChange
01-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Can a Shockwave even go fast enough to make it 80ft out of the water? Maybe the owner pulled it after the first ten?

mbrown2
01-13-2005, 08:30 AM
"Dad you must have jumped it about 50 yards"!!
"Nothing to be proud of Russ", ........."50 yards"!!
LMAO...

mbrown2
01-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Can a Shockwave even go fast enough to make it 80ft out of the water? Maybe the owner pulled it after the first ten?
LMAO...

BoatFloating
01-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Maybe that was Kilrtoy giving someone a test drive.??? :hammerhea :hammerhea :)

Jordy
01-13-2005, 08:49 AM
:D
Just be glad it wasnt an HTM. Imagine the conversation about that. :hammer2:
There is no way it could be an HTM. The HTM would have rolled long before it got close to shore. :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

Havasu_Dreamin
01-13-2005, 09:15 AM
There is no way it could be an HTM. The HTM would have rolled long before it got close to shore. :eek: :eek: :D :D :D
Someone get the popcorn ready. :eek: :cool:

beer hunter
01-13-2005, 09:41 AM
I wish I had video of the tour boat wake I jumped a couple of summers ago at Powell, probably not eighty feet, but more than the twenty five this guy flew :D

FRENCHIE
01-13-2005, 09:47 AM
It was a Shockwave. Ever stop to think that they were deliberately trying to destroy it? :D :D :devil: Just kidding, Shockwaves are OK........I guess. ;)
good guess after no hull damage!!!! ya think!!!?? :idea: :hammerhea ;)

jackpunx
01-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Ahhhh... ya know what?
Screw it.. Make the laws zero tolerance that would've obviously made this (and other) incidents not happen.
RD <--- can't drink anything and drive anymore anyways so it don't make no difference to me.
You need a full time chauffer

FRENCHIE
01-13-2005, 09:51 AM
i thought 80ft was pretty mild..id a put mine at 120ft easy!!! OH and this SHOCKWAVE puts more distance on k26 than what your picture shows with you in front of him!!! just ask him!!! :hammerhea :idea: ;)

Garrddogg
01-13-2005, 09:52 AM
I AINT SAYIN SH1T!

DryHeatOnly
01-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Those Tremors are tough ;)
The boat did not appear to sustain too much structural damage from the crash. Some gouges, scrapes and dents could be seen, mostly on the hull. However, no holes were visible.
I guess he didn't get a ticket for "overnight mooring" since he was actually "overnight parking". :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/803news02.jpg

ChumpChange
01-13-2005, 09:54 AM
I AINT SAYIN SH1T!
It's better to be out of the water......than under it!

Ducatista
01-13-2005, 10:02 AM
He had to be flying thru the no wake zone, and to lie about who was operating the boat, come on what a joke. Odds are he was intoxicated, and they are all lucky to be alive. What a jerk, I wouldn't be suprised if they add other charges after all is said and done. They are very lucky....isn't there a rock jetty right there at the end of the channel with the park on the other side? Great more fuel for the fire.... :burningm:

FRENCHIE
01-13-2005, 10:04 AM
I AINT SAYIN SH1T!
YOU KNOW BETTER!!!! :wink: :hammerhea :)

FRENCHIE
01-13-2005, 10:04 AM
ouch thats gonna leave a mark!!!! :hammer2: ;)

Garrddogg
01-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Ya see I would have never hit the shore, The fire would've lit my way! :D

Garrddogg
01-13-2005, 10:09 AM
YOU AINT RIGHT!

Kahuna
01-13-2005, 10:57 AM
I can just here it when he tries to sell the boat. “Yeah don’t worry about these scratches on the bottom they are from just beaching the boat in the channel, no big deal.” :supp: