PDA

View Full Version : For those of you thinking about moving to Phoenix

Kurtis500
01-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Here are some stats for those of you who are looking to move to the Phoenix area. It gives the average price of the homes broken down by zip codes. Some can be decieving, since there are a few low priced areas within the same zip code as higher priced homes. I live in 85012, and the south end of the zip is..well, you know.
I cant figure out how to get the link to go directly to the page.
The second link is to a map of the zip codes.
Have fun.
http://www.azcentral.com/class/marketplace/homevaluesfall04/vhv-numbers.html
http://www.homesalenews.com/phoenix-zip-map.pdf

upsman105
01-12-2005, 10:19 PM
And I am still selling my house in Surprise.

JackieV
01-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Were moving to Goodyear, why are you selling in Surprise right now? Just curious...

upsman105
01-12-2005, 10:21 PM
have a new house 3 miles up the road, will be done next month.

JackieV
01-12-2005, 10:24 PM
have a new house 3 miles up the road, will be done next month.
WOW that's great! We are buying off of Estrella Pkwy in the tracks called "Villages at Centera". I guess we'll be neighbors soon! Of course our home won't be done until June 2005.

upsman105
01-12-2005, 10:33 PM
actually you'll be about 15 miles south east of me, but the website looked nice.

blackcloud75
01-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Does anybody know anybody that works for the City of Scottsdale? Good or Bad?I may make a career move that way. Any information about schools, family life, general atmosphere, etc. Any info. welcomed........
BC75

upsman105
01-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Scotsdale is the snooty part of town housing is very expensive.

bigq
01-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Cheap!! Have to look at 350k and above here, and that is Yucaipa! 450k if you want to be in the crowds. :frown:

Waist Deep
01-13-2005, 05:48 AM
Want to move from HB to Maricopa County. Looking @ Verrado right now. I see Maricopa has the 3rd largest job growth in the US. Problem is, the wife wants to keep our house here and buy one there. Kinda think that defeats the purpose. My thought was to cash out and buy for cash. Bank the rest. Am I wrong to cash out? We could rent the house here and clear $1,000.00 per month, but you still got the payments on the new dig then. Where are the Villages web site?

SCUBA STEVE
01-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Where in the heck is Carefree? :confused:
Looks like we should have moved here 5 years agao. :wink:
We live in Mesa 85206. They must have included the trailer park homes in the average. Over where my daughters school is, the smallest home is going for 300k. I am not sure what zip the estate homes are on Val Vista is (orange grove homes) but I know some of those houses start in the high 800's + s :p

THOR
01-13-2005, 07:12 AM
After visiting friends in the Phoenix area, I would move to:
Carefree
Scottsdale
Paradise Valley
those would be my top 3.

THOR
01-13-2005, 07:13 AM
Want to move from HB to Maricopa County. Looking @ Verrado right now. I see Maricopa has the 3rd largest job growth in the US. Problem is, the wife wants to keep our house here and buy one there. Kinda think that defeats the purpose. My thought was to cash out and buy for cash. Bank the rest. Am I wrong to cash out? We could rent the house here and clear $1,000.00 per month, but you still got the payments on the new dig then. Where are the Villages web site?
Keep your HB house. You will be thankful in 20 years you did.

Powerquestboy
01-13-2005, 07:24 AM
We live in Mesa 85206. They must have included the trailer park homes in the average. Over where my daughters school is, the smallest home is going for 300k. I am not sure what zip the estate homes are on Val Vista is (orange grove homes) but I know some of those houses start in the high 800's + s :p
Carefree is way north like Carefree Highway and scottsdale road. Carfree Highway is the same road Lake Pleasant is on if you have been there. Really nice community's up there.

Jordy
01-13-2005, 07:24 AM
There's a little more to it than that. But hey, the westside is full of trailerparks, thugs, and everything bad that you see on the news. ;)
Scottsdale has a pretty detailed website. We do some work for them and have a big generator out on one of their water treatment sites. Everyone I've dealt with at the city has been very cool to work with. Don't know what else you would want to know.

jmm
01-13-2005, 07:25 AM
My sister and her husband recently had a house built in Surprise, AZ. From the time they signed the contract and they moved into the house, the house went up in value $50,000.00. Real Estate is booming in that area. They are now going to sell that house and are in the process of having another one built. Nice way to profit $50,000 in less than a year. :idea:
I am going to visit them in February; I always look forward to the trips out there. Weather is beautiful every day, so unlike here in upstate NY. :cry:

Jordy
01-13-2005, 07:26 AM
Carefree is way north like Carefree Highway and scottsdale road. Carfree Highway is the same road Lake Pleasant is on if you have been there. Really nice community's up there.
Scuba, we'll have to add it to the Scuba's Across Arizona tour. There are some fun bars up in the Carefree/Cave Creek area. Harolds, Satisfied Frog, Buffalo Chip, and then on the way back down the hill, we can stop at Greasewood for a green chile cheese burger. :D

FreddieB81
01-13-2005, 07:27 AM
Carefree is north of Scottsdale, around Scottsdale Rd. and Carefree Highway. It's a pretty small, but wealthy town...

Sane Asylum
01-13-2005, 07:42 AM
There's a little more to it than that. But hey, the westside is full of trailerparks, thugs, and everything bad that you see on the news. ;)
Scottsdale has a pretty detailed website. We do some work for them and have a big generator out on one of their water treatment sites. Everyone I've dealt with at the city has been very cool to work with. Don't know what else you would want to know.
JP...........You need to get out more..........If you'd stay out of the ghetto and quit lookin for love on street corners you'd see that there's a little more to the west side than trailer parks, thugs and all bad things.......
I'll save you a trip........
http://www.estrellamountainranch.com/welcomep/index.php?flashplugin=yes
http://www.verrado.com

Jordy
01-13-2005, 07:45 AM
JP...........You need to get out more..........If you'd stay out of the ghetto and quit lookin for love on street corners you'd see that there's a little more to the west side than trailer parks, thugs and all bad things.......
Actually, if you read what I was replying to, you'll get the joke. As far as getting out more, I probably spend more of my time out in the avenues anymore than I do every other area in the valley combined. I have generators all over the west side powering up the new development sales trailers, all the way from Vistancia down past I-10. ;)

UBFJ #454
01-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Darren -
For what its worth ...
The Prices Per Zip Codes in North Central Phoenix can be very misleading ... Example ... Our Zip Code is 85014 and the list you posted gives the Average Price as $167,000 yet the house right down the street went for something like $536,000 two years ago and another one just a block or so over went for something like $700,000 +/- here just recently ... Ours, with the 46 + fruit, nut and shade trees is said to be worth somewhere around $400,000 + ... Many other newer houses here in our neighborhood that have been built on Lot Splits are going for $400,000 to $550,000 + and they have essentially no yard space or trees.
The reason for these disparities is that the 85014 Zip Code covers the Area from Glendale Avenue to Thomas Road (North to South) and The 51 to 7th Street (East to West) ... My point is that in the Older Part of North Central Phoenix you have to look within certain areas for the property you want (and can afford) as there is quite a range of neighborhoods within any one given Zip Code ... The only thing that Is The Same For All Is ... Little, If Any, Commute To The Essence of Phoenix ... Downtown ... Stores of All Kinds Are Very Close ... The Ball Park ... The Basketball Arena ... And ... Links to Freeways Going Throughout The Valley including all the Lakes (Pleasant about 30 minutes ... Bartlet, about 45 minutes, 1 hr. max.) ... Plus, Most of these neighborhoods, being well established, Are Quiet with a Low Crime Rate ... Great For City Living!

callbob4homes
01-13-2005, 08:04 AM
Estrella Mtn. Ranch is a beautiful development on the west side. They put on a golf tournament for REALTORS out there awhile back and it is a nice course and great looking development. This whole area is building like crazy and home prices going up like the fourth of July. If you are waiting, be prepared to pay more, they aren't likely to go down. (unlike an ex, but that is another story and equally expensive) If you want to see what homes are listing for in whatever area here, go to my website www.callbob4homes and you can search the MLS. no obligation, but if I can help you with anything please call. also some links to schools and such. as it is a new website I am still putting in links, so if there is anything you would like more info on, let me know and I'll put a link in there. (and not to the ex, I wouldn't want to be responsible for that :argue: ) Also take a look at Gold Canyon on far east side, getting to be like a little Scottsdale out there without the big city rush and still a short drive into town. :cool:

Jordy
01-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Also take a look at Gold Canyon on far east side, getting to be like a little Scottsdale out there without the big city rush and still a short drive into town. :cool:
The only bad side of Gold Canyon is having to drive the Superstition everyday. Other than that, yeah, it's blowing up out there and beyond. Hell, Queen Creek has built 3/4 of the way to Florence now. Unbelievable how many houses are going up. The bad thing is, they all look the same anymore. Tan Stucco, red tile roofs, built 4' from the neighbors house... I couldn't do it.

Artv
01-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Actually, if you read what I was replying to, you'll get the joke. As far as getting out more, I probably spend more of my time out in the avenues anymore than I do every other area in the valley combined. I have generators all over the west side powering up the new development sales trailers, all the way from Vistancia down past I-10. ;)
From the looks of it the houses are beautiful up in your area.

Jordy
01-13-2005, 08:12 AM
From the looks of it the houses are beautiful up in your area.
What's my area??? :D :D :D

Artv
01-13-2005, 08:12 AM
I'll save you a trip........
http://www.estrellamountainranch.com/welcomep/index.php?flashplugin=yes
http://www.verrado.com
Sorry about that, my response was for Sane Asylum. From the looks of it the houses are beautiful up in your area.

prosthogod
01-13-2005, 08:14 AM
I take offense to that, "it's snottsdale"

callbob4homes
01-13-2005, 08:40 AM
The only bad side of Gold Canyon is having to drive the Superstition everyday. Other than that, yeah, it's blowing up out there and beyond. Hell, Queen Creek has built 3/4 of the way to Florence now. Unbelievable how many houses are going up. The bad thing is, they all look the same anymore. Tan Stucco, red tile roofs, built 4' from the neighbors house... I couldn't do it.
I hear you about how close some of those homes are getting. and the new subdivisions past Queen Creek are right at and in the Florence city limits. If you want to buy homes in the 160K to 200K range better be good friends with your neighbor. I think once the 202 gets finished it should take alot of traffic off the 60 superstition fwy, but who knows how much growth by then? but on the upside, still not as bad as freeways in the LA area.

Kurtis500
01-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Does anybody know anybody that works for the City of Scottsdale? Good or Bad?I may make a career move that way. Any information about schools, family life, general atmosphere, etc. Any info. welcomed........
BC75
As you can see from the listing, Scottsdale is pretty diverse in its value. Not too many people in see the Scottsdale in areas like 66st and Earl, Granite Reef and Roosevelt areas. Not what you are thinking when it comes to Scottsdale. The older areas south of McCormick ranch are less expensive than the areas north of there.
I worked for the fire department in Scottsdale for 6 years, 3 of it in Scottsdale itself. The town is very nice and quiet. There is plenty of crime and drugs, so you cant get away from that. The Airpark is a nice place for a business. You do have a higher percentage of people in Scottsdale (area) that think alot more of themselves then anyone else does.

Jordy
01-13-2005, 09:02 AM
You do have a higher percentage of people in Scottsdale (area) that think alot more of themselves then anyone else does.
I think they're second only to Paradise Valley. ;)

Kurtis500
01-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Jak I know what you mean, my zip code extends down to Thomas also. It hurts the averages, but oh well. My neighbors house appraised for 825,000 over a year ago. A little out of place in my neighborhood I think.

PHX ATC
01-13-2005, 09:16 AM
I live down the road from Huffpower. I live at Sossaman/Guadalupe and travel the 60 freeway all the time to the airport (Sky Harbor). 60 does suck major league donkey wee wee. Bad mojo on that freeway. Thankfully, I travel at odd times and work goofy shifts, so I rarely get too caught up in the parking lot feature of the freeway.
I'm moving to Queen Creek, Ellsworth/Riggs area, so my commute will be 15 minutes more, but the property will be worth it. To think, there are people out in Johnson Ranch, 15 more minutes southeast of where I'm moving to! Nutzo!
OK Jordy, begin the horsey jokes!!! :D

Jordy
01-13-2005, 09:19 AM
OK Jordy, begin the horsey jokes!!! :D
I can't say much as I live on horsey property, however, I'm in the PV area, not out where Jesus lost his sandals. :D
However, I got rid of my horses and got boats, not the other way around. I wear the pants in my family. :D :D :D :D
I do still have my saddles. Just dust them off from time to time. Now I have someone else to call if I want to go riding. None of my toys eat or shit if I'm not playing with them. ;)

Kurtis500
01-13-2005, 09:20 AM
here is something you need to think about before you jump on the "i'm moving to phx bandwagon".
TRAFFIC SUCKS !!!!, and the city CANNOT EXPAND THE FREEWAY SYSTEM !!!!
if you think i'm joking, my commute from mesa (US60@BASELINE/ELLSWORTH) to Scottsdale airpark, 33 miles, takes 45-60 minutes leaving at 0545. The commute home now takes an average of 1 hr, last nite , no accidents 1hr 15 minutes, and it will continue to get worse !!!, i've lived out in this area for 3 years and have watched the traffic increase, with no relief in sight !!! the traffic in the a.m. starts at 0430. The houses are rapidly climbing to cali levels, especially the prime areas, you don't think those that build and sell houses know this, the builders could care less if the hiways don't move, or the water sources are maxed out, hey phx has 243 golf courses to water :mad: and the job market is not that great for hi paying jobs !! think twice before leaving your beloved cali land.
This is why I wont move to my property in Clearwater Farms. And its why I push the central corridor for people who are working downtown (not in your case). For example, it took me 9 months to get 3000 miles on my daily driver vehicle for the next oil change. I cant imagine sitting in traffic like you guys have to everyday. It seems like a good portion of your life has to be spent in a vehicle. Even with the 202-101 freewys built and being built its going to get worse...much worse. :mad: Ellsworth is a loooong way out there. Maybe you can get your business to move to Williams gateway?? That would be nice.

PHX ATC
01-13-2005, 09:28 AM
I can't say much as I live on horsey property, however, I'm in the PV area, not out where Jesus lost his sandals. :D
However, I got rid of my horses and got boats, not the other way around. I wear the pants in my family. :D :D :D :D
I do still have my saddles. Just dust them off from time to time. Now I have someone else to call if I want to go riding. None of my toys eat or shit if I'm not playing with them. ;)
Sandals? I thought he wore cowboy boots out there, you know with all the horsey poopie and all. :)
I'm putting the boat in the trader this next week and then, we'll see.
You crack me up.

Jordy
01-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Sandals? I thought he wore cowboy boots out there, you know with all the horsey poopie and all. :)
I'm putting the boat in the trader this next week and then, we'll see.
You crack me up.
I don't think Jesus had any cowboy boots. However, some of the Jesus (hay-seus) of the times might have. I think Jesus liked his sandals. ;)
Mine is in the trader right now, one of them anyway. :D
Now about those beers you owe me. :D

Outnumbered
01-13-2005, 10:00 AM
You guys looking in Verado be aware that it is big lots for reasonable prices for a reason. It is pretty isolated and is surrounded by mobile home mini ranches. Not to mention the prison. It looks like it has good upside potential but I'm not sure I would want to live there now. I know my wife would hate it. There is not much shopping and not many conveniences nearby. If you got kids I'm not too sure about the schools out there. Be sure to do your reseach.
Estrella Mtn Ranch is booming but it too is very isolated. No way I would commute from that place. Its quite a bottle neck getting in or out at times and if there is an event at PIR you are DOOMED.
I found that it looks much cheaper here than it actually is. Sure you can get a new house for cheap but equate it to buying in Yucca Valley, High Desert, Beaumont if you know So Cal.
So we decided to buy in one of the upper-middle price areas and give up the big lot for now. But I live in an area where there is no mobile homes and no low income housing for miles, zip 85383. Very nice area but about 30-40% cheaper than Scottsdale or Carefree.
We came out thinking we were going to buy a big house, on a big lot, in a nice convenient area for under $300k--it didn't happen.
Just like someone said already, the nice places are getting spendy. But I will admit that the prices and traffic are not as bad as Cali.
Just do your research and don't get caught up in the new-home fever. Look at what is around the development you are in. Just because your tract is nice does not mean that the houses 1/2 mile away are nice.
Just my $.02
OL

Jordy
01-13-2005, 10:04 AM
On the plus side, Verrado is about 45 minutes closer to the river than where I am, and I'm pretty centrally located, around 2 1/2 hours drive time to Parker on a slow day. ;)

Outnumbered
01-13-2005, 10:09 AM
On the plus side, Verrado is about 45 minutes closer to the river than where I am, and I'm pretty centrally located, around 2 1/2 hours drive time to Parker on a slow day. ;)
This is true, and closer to Cali for trips back home.
I don't know, I just wish there were not so many damn mobile homes out here. They were the worst thing to ever happen to this place.
OL

Jordy
01-13-2005, 10:11 AM
This is true, and closer to Cali for trips back home.
I don't know, I just wish there were not so many damn mobile homes out here. They were the worst thing to ever happen to this place.
OL
C'mon, there are some nice mobiles that back right up to the freeway. You konw, the ones that have so much junk in their backyards that you can hardly see the trailer? The ones that have a yard sale going everyday. ;) Welcome to Buckeye. :D

Outnumbered
01-13-2005, 10:12 AM
C'mon, there are some nice mobiles that back right up to the freeway. You konw, the ones that have so much junk in their backyards that you can hardly see the trailer? The ones that have a yard sale going everyday. ;) Welcome to Buckeye. :D
Bingo ;)

PHX ATC
01-13-2005, 10:28 AM
So we decided to buy in one of the upper-middle price areas and give up the big lot for now. But I live in an area where there is no mobile homes and no low income housing for miles,.
We came out thinking we were going to buy a big house, on a big lot, in a nice convenient area for under $300k--it didn't happen.
Just like someone said already, the nice places are getting spendy. But I will admit that the prices and traffic are not as bad as Cali.
I think you are dead on. Big lots are a thing of the past, waaaay far out, or you are going to pay dearly for them. Ask me, I know. :shift:
Mid/upper class, if you will, hoods are the best bang for the buck right now. Find a spot with houses that fit your style, schools that are good, and the conveniences you need close by.
I agree, the prices on these pockets of hoods are going up very quickly. That's good for me, because in 2 months or so, I'm putting my current house up on the market. It's 5 minutes away from the freeway (60), you can walk to the elementary school, the middle school is a 4 minute drive, high school a 8 minute drive, plenty of stores around, and 3 malls within 20 minutes. Saguaro Lake is 30 minutes away and downtown PHX is 35-40 minutes away with no rush hour traffic.
I live in a cul-de-sac lot, 2 story house, just under 3500 sq ft, pool, above ground spa, and plenty of goodies in the house and the prices of those similar houses around me have skyrocketed in the past 8 months!
I've already had 3 couples come look at my house, just because they've heard through the neighborhood/religious/school mom network that we're selling in March/April. 1 is not really serious (they've issues/commitments with their church), 1 was really a lookie loo in my opinion, but the other 1 sounded pretty serious about crunching some numbers and throwing something together soon.
I'd be more than happy to sell it without a real estate agent (no offense to anyone)...even my agent tells me to give it a whirl. My agent says we will have multiple offers within a day of going on the market at the price I'm suggesting to ask. It's about $15K less than all the comparables out there that are on the market right now. Maybe I'm not accepting of the frenzy, but man, everyone needs to find the right spot for them.

cdog
01-13-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm really hoping all the ca people moving out their don't ruin it. Phoenix is an awsome place. Just remember what happens when intrest rates rise. Remember the late 80's and early 90's. Property value plummited. I think if you look at the history of growth and expensive housing you can expect to hit a wall expecially out there. My home here in OC has already gone down in value from 700k to 600k. I think alot of people who recently moved out there have'nt been through a couple of 120 degree summers yet. And I see that Phoenix has grown way too fast because of californians that cashed out of Ca.. The nice established areas will always hold a certian value but some of those new homes are out by buckeye. I worked out there for a couple of years in the late 90's and considered moving there before we moved back to OC. Personally I feel that Phoenix has a couple more growth cycles before it can maintain those prices. Consider depreciation a Tsunami that come"s in from the pacific, those higher rates will first slow down the costal homes then move inland.

Outnumbered
01-13-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm really hoping all the ca people moving out their don't ruin it. Phoenix is an awsome place. Just remember what happens when intrest rates rise. Remember the late 80's and early 90's. Property value plummited. I think if you look at the history of growth and expensive housing you can expect to hit a wall expecially out there. My home here in OC has already gone down in value from 700k to 600k. I think alot of people who recently moved out there have'nt been through a couple of 120 degree summers yet. And I see that Phoenix has grown way too fast because of californians that cashed out of Ca.. The nice established areas will always hold a certian value but some of those new homes are out by buckeye. I worked out there for a couple of years in the late 90's and considered moving there before we moved back to OC. Personally I feel that Phoenix has a couple more growth cycles before it can maintain those prices. Consider depreciation a Tsunami that come"s in from the pacific, those higher rates will first slow down the costal homes then move inland.
Actually, the prices are more stable here in AZ. I will have to dig up the stats but So Cal values are way more volatile and saw huge drops in the early to mid 90s where Az values were just chugging along. I did tons of research before I bought here. I see the market here doing well. Time will tell.
OL

PHX ATC
01-13-2005, 11:33 AM
What OL said.
I've done research too. Limited pea brain type research, but rooted around the numbers nonetheless.
Maybe I could get a govt grant to do some more? :D

cdog
01-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Well I want you to know that I did'nt mean that offensively toward AZ. We own my mother inlaws home in Tucson. I know a lot of people who live there and have considered moving there many times. In 1997 you could buy a home in chandler , mesa and tempe for a little over 100k in a nice new home development. I just see that the pay scale is'nt really as good as it is here. When I was out there I was making 5k a week and living in scottsdale. Most of the people I met were amazed that you could make that much in construction. I was stupid for not buying everything up then but hey I was 22. I see there has been a huge influx of Ca people moving out there. I can see it on the 10 frway when i'm on the way back home. They don't know you can do 90 mph. In the early to late 90's Phoenix property value was real bad, but it's just a cycle. Who know's , we'll see.

Kurtis500
01-13-2005, 11:44 AM
I think they're second only to Paradise Valley. ;)
Probably, especially the real 'Town of Paradise Valley'. Most everything south and east of shea and tatum to Scottsdale road is out of control. Mummy mountain for example. But then again, it always has been. Most people confuse 'Paradise Valley' with the real Paradise Valley. The 85253 zip code is the boundries for the real Town of Paradise Valley. I dont think I could live in there. People get bit by scorpions all the time in those mountainside/desert homes.
My friend lived at 40 st north of Lincoln. Very nice mountain side home, but way too expensive.

Outnumbered
01-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Well I want you to know that I did'nt mean that offensively toward AZ. We own my mother inlaws home in Tucson. I know a lot of people who live there and have considered moving there many times. In 1997 you could buy a home in chandler , mesa and tempe for a little over 100k in a nice new home development. I just see that the pay scale is'nt really as good as it is here. When I was out there I was making 5k a week and living in scottsdale. Most of the people I met were amazed that you could make that much in construction. I was stupid for not buying everything up then but hey I was 22. I see there has been a huge influx of Ca people moving out there. I can see it on the 10 frway when i'm on the way back home. They don't know you can do 90 mph. In the early to late 90's Phoenix property value was real bad, but it's just a cycle. Who know's , we'll see.
No offense taken. Ya, the values were hurt nationwide in the mid 90s but they didn't drop that bad in AZ when compared to CA. I was working as an appraiser in SoCal at the time and the values were dropping fast. Foreclosures were on just about every street. I can see that happending again in SoCal in the next several years but not quite as bad. Values in most parts of AZ are not totally out of control like Cali right now so it seems like a safer investment right now.
OL

blackcloud75
01-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Kurtis500 check your PM
thanks
BC75

Jordy
01-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Probably, especially the real 'Town of Paradise Valley'. Most everything south and east of shea and tatum to Scottsdale road is out of control. Mummy mountain for example. But then again, it always has been. Most people confuse 'Paradise Valley' with the real Paradise Valley. The 85253 zip code is the boundries for the real Town of Paradise Valley. I dont think I could live in there. People get bit by scorpions all the time in those mountainside/desert homes.
My friend lived at 40 st north of Lincoln. Very nice mountain side home, but way too expensive.
I like the latest hobby in PV. Buy houses for the lots, tear the houses down and build bigger and more modern than the last home that was there. I'm 2 miles from PV Mall, in what is considered "Paradise Valley" however, not 85253. ;)

Kurtis500
01-13-2005, 04:55 PM
I like the latest hobby in PV. Buy houses for the lots, tear the houses down and build bigger and more modern than the last home that was there. I'm 2 miles from PV Mall, in what is considered "Paradise Valley" however, not 85253. ;)
No kidding! A guy bought a house on 4th street for 660,000 and tore it down, foundation and all. There is one at about 5600 N Central that is almost finished. I think they bought the house for 700,000 and leveled it to build a new home. Unbelievable! I guess theres nothing like an acre on Central Avenue.( I'd take one..or two :wink: )

Jordy
01-13-2005, 04:59 PM
No kidding! A guy bought a house on 4th street for 660,000 and tore it down, foundation and all. There is one at about 5600 N Central that is almost finished. I think they bought the house for 700,000 and leveled it to build a new home. Unbelievable! I guess theres nothing like an acre on Central Avenue.( I'd take one..or two :wink: )
They're doing the same thing all over PV. Some are total demos, others leave a wall standing (which makes it a remodel). Look at the people who bought Barry Goldwater's house. They tore it down to the ground (except for one wall) and reassembled it after modernizing the plumbing, electrical, and HVAC. One guy in that area bought like 4 houses, demo'd all of them and is building a 45,000 square foot house, complete with a bowling alley, movie theater and a glass walled wine cellar that looks out over the lights of Phoenix. He's got commercial boilers and chillers to heat and cool the place. Unreal. The sad thing, he did it all to out do one of his buddies. Smallpenitis. :D