PDA

View Full Version : loosy goosy

sleekster
01-13-2005, 01:32 PM
ok sitting here at work day dreaming about boating when i remember i have a little problem that reared it's ugly head at the end of last season, i was taking my brother in law out for the first time for a little a putt well as i was standing on the throttle trying to get every last bit of throttle she had i unknowingly threw the alternator belt. so when we stopped to talk i noticed the alt gauge was down so i lokked and sure enough the belt was off so i proceeded to head home well on the way in i could not put much of a load on the engine becouse she would cough and spit i figured there was not enough current left to fire the msd ignition. well the next day i fxed the belt charged the battery and started her up no problem idleing down the canal but as soon asi hit the gas cough and soit so i briught her back home and took off the valve covers and some of the roller rockers i could jiggle i mean like an 1/8 of an inch so i quickly readjusted them went out and a little better i run rhoads lifters and crane roller rocker arms what could have caused this? i never readjusted the valves since the motor was rebuilt last year could they have come loose? or could those lifters have crapped out? do you thing i am going to have to pop the intake and inspect the cam?

mirvin
01-13-2005, 03:16 PM
What motor is this?? You should post this in "Gear Heads".
Sounds to me like your having an ignition issue. :confused:
Back to the lifters you "tightened": Do you know the proceedure for tightening lifters or did you just tighten the ones that were "jiggly"?? I'm just asking because if you just willie nillie tightened the lifters that is a BAD THING. You may have overtightened lifters that didn't need tightening.
mirvin ;)

HCS
01-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Your as busy at work as I am I see. :coffeycup

mirvin
01-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Your as busy at work as I am I see. :coffeycup
Yeah, just got back from an extended lunch and now I got a long slow afternoon in front of me......
mirvin
:rollside:

HCS
01-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Yeah, just got back from an extended lunch and now I got a long slow afternoon in front of me......
mirvin
:rollside:
Same here. It's cold outside and no business. Oh well, I guess I'll just sit right here. :squiggle:

mirvin
01-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Same here. It's cold outside and no business. Oh well, I guess I'll just sit right here. :squiggle:
So what do you think about Sleeksters lifters??
mirvin
:)

HCS
01-13-2005, 03:35 PM
So what do you think about Sleeksters lifters??
mirvin
:)
Question for him.
Sounds like lifters or oil pressure.
Was it all the lifters or just a couple?

mirvin
01-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Question for him.
Sounds like lifters or oil pressure.
Was it all the lifters or just a couple?
Well he said he just tightened a couple that he noticed were "visibly loose" which leads me to believe he just tightened the ones that were open:rolleyes:
mirvin :coffeycup

sleekster
01-14-2005, 04:18 AM
ok some clarification here, i have a bbc and yes i did cycle all the valves as such, rotate the motor until the exhaust valve seats and adjust that cylinders intake then rotate until the intake valve seats and adjust that exhaust and so on and so on. my oil pressure is fine and never had a oil milkshake, my theory is the rocker arms just came loose, not all of them were as loos e as the humber 1 intake and the number 8 exhaust, but all were wiggly. my other theory is the rhoads lifters failed under high rpm use, my rev limiter is set at 6200 and i have frequently hit that. i guess i am going to have to inspect the came and bottom of the lifters for wear.

billet racing
01-14-2005, 06:25 AM
Could be your valve springs are worn out. Check the pressure on those, or just replace, thier cheap. I replace mine every year, and some during the season. then again, its not what I'd call a stock motor.