PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer advise needed

Tinkerer
01-13-2005, 06:54 PM
To make a long story short - I am buying a new house and the only contingency was that I could get written authorization to build a 30 X 40 accessory building. ( 2.1 acres )
I got permission from the association and from the planing board. ( written )
One of my neijhbors ( 300 ft away ) has threatened to sue if I start to build the barn.
Can this guy get this approval overturned???
OH and he has an outbuilding also ( boat house )
The main reason for the building is to store my boat and work van and work tools.
I am not going to be running a business out of the barn just storing work tools.
HELP

HavasuDreamin'
01-13-2005, 07:05 PM
What do the covenants (if any) for your neighborhood say? You should also check the zoning requirements at the local city hall.
If there are no covenants in your neighborhood restricting you from building a garage that large, and the local zoning ordinances don't restrict you, there isn't a damn thing he can do.
HD :cool:

Mandelon
01-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Local Zoning, building code, FAR and setback restrictions, and the CC&R's would rule. A grouchy neighbor may raise a stink, but should not be able to stop your project. He could sue you, and waste everybody's time and money, but I can't see how he could prevail. Go over and talk to him. Find out what he is worried about.

jdogginla
01-13-2005, 07:18 PM
U should let him know that you received permission from the home owners association and ask him what his concerns are. Let him know it's either look at a nicely built barn or look at a boat, a work a van and a bunch of tools laying around........which would he prefer? Asshole :hammer2:

Tinkerer
01-13-2005, 07:26 PM
I have written permission from the devolopment ( I meet all the restrictions )
I also have written permission from the township planing board.
This guy knows this and is threatening to sue.
What can become of this - Can he get my permit withdrawn???
This house does me NO good without the barn.
CAN YOU TELL I AM PISSED>>>>>>>

Mandelon
01-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Is this guy a lawyer? He can run you around in court if he gets legal work for free, but best to go make nice with him instead.
He probably can't stop you, but he might be able to slow you down. Go see what his beef is. :lightsabe :boxingguy

Tinkerer
01-13-2005, 07:33 PM
OH and did I tell you that he is WEALTHY
He has a million+ house on the river - I overlook his house and can see the river.
He is over 300 ft away and will not be able to even see my barn untill he gets off his property.
This guy is not liked by the other neighbors and is an ASS.
I tend to be a good neighbor but if I buy this house and then because of this clown I can't build my barn I am going to get real pissed and WILL be consulting a LAWYER. ( building the barn is one of the reasons that we decided to move in the first place)

Tinkerer
01-13-2005, 07:36 PM
I don't think that he is a lawyer.
another thing - HIS lawyer is the husband of one of my wifes friends.
Is this conflict of interest???

Tinkerer
01-13-2005, 07:37 PM
I wonder if he has ever heard the noise over 1300 HP makes??? :)

Tom Brown
01-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Tinkerer, if you want to get in good with the neighbors, get yourself a well built Cobra kit car and regularly leave your slicks on the access roads under the guise of 'getting some video for your ***boat buds'.

vdriver4ever
01-13-2005, 07:45 PM
It sounds his fear is you running a business out of your home. Here in Idaho someone tried to pass a law a few years ago that a home builder or service technicain that was on 24 hour call could not have his or her truck or van in the driveway because that would mean that they were doing business out of their home. Thank God this is a conservative state and it didn't even make the paper before someone shut it down.
TELL HIM IF HE WANTS TO CONTROL WHAT YOU DO ON YOUR PROPETY THEN HE BETTER BUY IT....
Private property rights are in danger and we have to fight back.

Mandelon
01-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Burn down his house.... :p