PDA

View Full Version : Fuel

JOESHOW
06-06-2001, 04:17 PM
Hey guys! I just returned from finally getting my boat in the water. It's my first boat and I have been working (spending alot of money on it) all winter. I've got a few bugs to work out, but I am very glad that I got a jet instead of an outboard, I/O, or any other type of drive system. I do have a question though. After running the boat for a while I noticed that the surface of the gas in the float bowls (I have clear sight glasses) had a few bubbles on it, kind of like it might be getting arerated. The carb worked flawlessly and never so much as sputtered. Is this anything that I should worry about? I am running a 750 Speed Demon with mechanical secondaries, along with a Holley Max Pressure electric pump. It has an adjustable regulator that I have set at 6.5 pds. This never fluctuated from what I saw. Thanks for any info that someone may have.
-Shane

ponponracing
06-06-2001, 07:10 PM
Unless you use your boat like you use a yo-yo and the beer bottles keep opening by themselves, it is possible that there is an air admission somewhere between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. In such a case the fuel pump sucks air and push it in the fuel bowls. If this is the case and you could see the air vents on top of the carb, you would remark fuel bubbles trying to escape.

EDROE
06-06-2001, 09:15 PM
There will always be air in your fuel line because its not a sealed system , like your brake lines on your car. Unless it was an injection system.

ponponracing
06-06-2001, 09:47 PM
Don't want to argue. It's different when the fuel pump sucks an air pocket from when it sucks a constant supply of air. To find it, run at idle. There shouldn't be any bubble in bowls. If there is, you have an incoming air leak. When you run hard, play yo-yo, try to open the Champagne bottles by barely unwrapping the foil, may be it's normal that you see air. Otherwise liquid gas should be stable since there is no air inlet in a properly built fuel line and pick-up.